XP Pro SP2 Integrated asking what type of PC I have? (P5B-VM w/Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Holy Crikey, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. Holy Crikey

    Holy Crikey Guest

    Once I finished putting my system together, I stuck my XP Pro CD and
    proceeded with the installation. But right away a menu came up asking
    me what type of computer I have:
    ACPI multiprocessor PC
    ACPI uniprocessor PC
    ACPI PC
    Compaq something (which it isn't)
    SMP multiprocessor PC (I think it said SMP)
    SMP uniprocessor PC
    Standard PC
    Other

    I called a couple of friends of mine and they've never seen such a
    menu during an installation process.

    I also have Seagate SATAII drives, along with just some Kingston
    667NHz PC2-5300 CL5 sticks. What should I choose in this case?
    Thanks.
     
    Holy Crikey, Dec 6, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Re: XP Pro SP2 Integrated asking what type of PC I have? (P5B-VM w/Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz)

    Holy Crikey wrote:

    > Once I finished putting my system together, I stuck my XP Pro CD and
    > proceeded with the installation. But right away a menu came up asking
    > me what type of computer I have:
    > ACPI multiprocessor PC
    > ACPI uniprocessor PC
    > ACPI PC
    > Compaq something (which it isn't)
    > SMP multiprocessor PC (I think it said SMP)
    > SMP uniprocessor PC
    > Standard PC
    > Other
    >
    > I called a couple of friends of mine and they've never seen such a
    > menu during an installation process.
    >
    > I also have Seagate SATAII drives, along with just some Kingston
    > 667NHz PC2-5300 CL5 sticks. What should I choose in this case?
    > Thanks.




    ACPI PC


    I guess XP NT5.1 is still loading the multiprocessoer kernel while
    Setup. Choosing "ACPI PC" selects IMO the right kernel for your setup.
    Multi or uni...

    Standard PC will not work with your new board, with all available
    devices ON. (USB's, SATA, ATA, Sound, LAN, etc...)
    You'll get more devices on the same IRQ, lags and crashes.
    ACPI turns your XT/AT based PC to 31 IRQ's and more.. enough for any
    Board with much onboard features/devices.
    Allthough, Standard PC is the fastest config for an iP586/686. No IRq
    sharing, every device have its own IRQ (0-15), 16IRQ's. But you are
    limited to IRQ 9-12 (max. 4 devices, beside the standard fix-IRQ's,
    maybe 5....)



    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic
     
    Daniel Mandic, Dec 6, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Holy Crikey

    Holy Crikey Guest

    Re: XP Pro SP2 Integrated asking what type of PC I have? (P5B-VM w/Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz)

    On 06 Dec 2006 22:49:35 GMT, "Daniel Mandic" <>
    wrote:

    >Holy Crikey wrote:
    >
    >> Once I finished putting my system together, I stuck my XP Pro CD and
    >> proceeded with the installation. But right away a menu came up asking
    >> me what type of computer I have:
    >> ACPI multiprocessor PC
    >> ACPI uniprocessor PC
    >> ACPI PC
    >> Compaq something (which it isn't)
    >> SMP multiprocessor PC (I think it said SMP)
    >> SMP uniprocessor PC
    >> Standard PC
    >> Other
    >>
    >> I called a couple of friends of mine and they've never seen such a
    >> menu during an installation process.
    >>
    >> I also have Seagate SATAII drives, along with just some Kingston
    >> 667NHz PC2-5300 CL5 sticks. What should I choose in this case?
    >> Thanks.

    >
    >ACPI PC
    >
    >I guess XP NT5.1 is still loading the multiprocessoer kernel while
    >Setup. Choosing "ACPI PC" selects IMO the right kernel for your setup.
    >Multi or uni...
    >
    >Standard PC will not work with your new board, with all available
    >devices ON. (USB's, SATA, ATA, Sound, LAN, etc...)
    >You'll get more devices on the same IRQ, lags and crashes.
    >ACPI turns your XT/AT based PC to 31 IRQ's and more.. enough for any
    >Board with much onboard features/devices.
    >Allthough, Standard PC is the fastest config for an iP586/686. No IRq
    >sharing, every device have its own IRQ (0-15), 16IRQ's. But you are
    >limited to IRQ 9-12 (max. 4 devices, beside the standard fix-IRQ's,
    >maybe 5....)
    >
    >Best Regards,
    >
    >Daniel Mandic


    Daniel, thanks for such a quick reply. Really appreciate it.
    Somebody else I asked about my problem said that I should choose ACPI
    PC as well. However, he was leaning more towards the ACPI
    multiprocessor PC since I have a Core 2 Duo. I know you said that
    whether multi or uni...but would appreciate it if you can confirm that
    that's not necessary and just choose ACPI PC for my system? Many
    thanks.
     
    Holy Crikey, Dec 7, 2006
    #3
  4. Holy Crikey

    DRS Guest

    Re: XP Pro SP2 Integrated asking what type of PC I have? (P5B-VM w/Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz)

    "Holy Crikey" <> wrote in message
    news:

    [...]

    > Daniel, thanks for such a quick reply. Really appreciate it.
    > Somebody else I asked about my problem said that I should choose ACPI
    > PC as well. However, he was leaning more towards the ACPI
    > multiprocessor PC since I have a Core 2 Duo. I know you said that
    > whether multi or uni...but would appreciate it if you can confirm that
    > that's not necessary and just choose ACPI PC for my system? Many
    > thanks.


    I must admit I've never seen this menu either, but with a Core 2 Duo you
    want the XP multiprocessor Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) so ACPI
    multiprocessor PC should be the logical choice.
     
    DRS, Dec 7, 2006
    #4
  5. Re: XP Pro SP2 Integrated asking what type of PC I have? (P5B-VM w/Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz)

    DRS wrote:

    > > Daniel, thanks for such a quick reply. Really appreciate it.
    > > Somebody else I asked about my problem said that I should choose
    > > ACPI PC as well. However, he was leaning more towards the ACPI
    > > multiprocessor PC since I have a Core 2 Duo. I know you said that
    > > whether multi or uni...but would appreciate it if you can confirm
    > > that that's not necessary and just choose ACPI PC for my system?
    > > Many thanks.

    >
    > I must admit I've never seen this menu either, but with a Core 2 Duo
    > you want the XP multiprocessor Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) so
    > ACPI multiprocessor PC should be the logical choice.


    Hi DRS!


    Yeh, it's possible that a real dual CPU needs an extra invitation by
    choosing the MultiCPU firstly :)

    Otherwise NT (as I know), always starts the multi-kernel while setup.



    Crikey... :), (I knew I could write it one time)

    he should watch after the finished setup, if the multi-kernel is
    installed, somewhere in Device Manager. Wether 'ACPI PC' or 'ACPI
    Multi' chosen....
    Single CPU is surely false. Choosing 'ACPI PC' could lead to a
    single-core setup, but I am not sure about. It's also possible that
    choosing Multi makes troubles, or that 'ACPI PC' and 'Multi ACPI' set
    XP up the same, at the end.

    I guess Single is for Single, Multi is explicitely Multi and 'ACPI PC'
    looks self what is really installed. IMO the best choice!!!
    Hyperthreading?? and so on... who knows? Former Dual CPU's are not the
    same as today dual- and dual core -CPU's.

    Service Pack 2... etc...



    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic
     
    Daniel Mandic, Dec 7, 2006
    #5
  6. Re: XP Pro SP2 Integrated asking what type of PC I have? (P5B-VM w/Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz)

    Daniel Mandic wrote:

    > I guess XP NT5.1 is still loading the multiprocessoer kernel while
    > Setup. Choosing "ACPI PC" selects IMO the right kernel for your setup.
    > Multi or uni...


    A women I know (engineer, becoming...), managed to install NT4_WS and
    after setup the MultiCPU Kernel have not changed to UniCPU operation.
    Don't ask me how she could manage such :) [P166, P54C-Pentium w/o MMX,
    ~1996]


    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic
     
    Daniel Mandic, Dec 7, 2006
    #6
  7. "Holy Crikey" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Once I finished putting my system together, I stuck my XP Pro CD and
    > proceeded with the installation. But right away a menu came up asking
    > me what type of computer I have:
    > ACPI multiprocessor PC
    > ACPI uniprocessor PC
    > ACPI PC
    > Compaq something (which it isn't)
    > SMP multiprocessor PC (I think it said SMP)
    > SMP uniprocessor PC
    > Standard PC
    > Other
    >
    > I called a couple of friends of mine and they've never seen such a
    > menu during an installation process.
    >
    > I also have Seagate SATAII drives, along with just some Kingston
    > 667NHz PC2-5300 CL5 sticks. What should I choose in this case?
    > Thanks.

    It is very 'odd' indeed, to be presented with such a menu. I remember
    having this a while ago, with XP server, when installing on a machine with
    a slightly unusual BIOS. It suggests that XP's autodetection is failing.
    Verify that ACPI is enabled in the BIOS. It might be that XP is seeing
    that this 'ought' to be an ACPI machine, but is finding it is disabled in
    the BIOS, and hence the list.
    The correct setting for a Core2 Duo, is 'ACPI multiprocessor PC', and this
    is the default from an automatic install. It'll also work using 'SMP
    multiprocessor PC', but without most of the power management features.

    Best Wishes
     
    Roger Hamlett, Dec 7, 2006
    #7
  8. Holy Crikey

    Rip RocK Guest

    Re: XP Pro SP2 Integrated asking what type of PC I have? (P5B-VM w/Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz)

    On 07 Dec 2006 11:10:30 GMT, "Daniel Mandic" <>
    wrote:

    >DRS wrote:
    >
    >> > Daniel, thanks for such a quick reply. Really appreciate it.
    >> > Somebody else I asked about my problem said that I should choose
    >> > ACPI PC as well. However, he was leaning more towards the ACPI
    >> > multiprocessor PC since I have a Core 2 Duo. I know you said that
    >> > whether multi or uni...but would appreciate it if you can confirm
    >> > that that's not necessary and just choose ACPI PC for my system?
    >> > Many thanks.

    >>
    >> I must admit I've never seen this menu either, but with a Core 2 Duo
    >> you want the XP multiprocessor Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) so
    >> ACPI multiprocessor PC should be the logical choice.

    >
    >Hi DRS!
    >
    >Yeh, it's possible that a real dual CPU needs an extra invitation by
    >choosing the MultiCPU firstly :)
    >
    >Otherwise NT (as I know), always starts the multi-kernel while setup.
    >
    >Crikey... :), (I knew I could write it one time)
    >
    > he should watch after the finished setup, if the multi-kernel is
    >installed, somewhere in Device Manager. Wether 'ACPI PC' or 'ACPI
    >Multi' chosen....
    >Single CPU is surely false. Choosing 'ACPI PC' could lead to a
    >single-core setup, but I am not sure about. It's also possible that
    >choosing Multi makes troubles, or that 'ACPI PC' and 'Multi ACPI' set
    >XP up the same, at the end.
    >
    >I guess Single is for Single, Multi is explicitely Multi and 'ACPI PC'
    >looks self what is really installed. IMO the best choice!!!
    >Hyperthreading?? and so on... who knows? Former Dual CPU's are not the
    >same as today dual- and dual core -CPU's.
    >
    >Service Pack 2... etc...


    Thanks for that bit of tip to confirm whether the uniprocessor was
    chosen or multiprocessor was and looking in my System properties, the
    multiprocessor does show up.
     
    Rip RocK, Dec 11, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gilles Vollant

    CT479, and core duo, core 2 duo

    Gilles Vollant, Jun 3, 2006, in forum: Asus
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    472
    Gilles Vollant
    Jun 3, 2006
  2. Gilles Vollant
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    295
    Barry Watzman
    Sep 17, 2006
  3. Paolo Severin
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    446
    Paolo Severin
    Dec 27, 2006
  4. Von Fourche

    Duo Core VS. Duo 2 Core

    Von Fourche, Nov 30, 2006, in forum: Dell
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    771
    S.Lewis
    Nov 30, 2006
  5. Paolo Severin
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    762
    Paolo Severin
    Dec 27, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page