XP reinstall

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Chris, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I have a Shuttle system, with RAID controller on motherboard.
    Hard Disk is installed on the RAID controller to free up IDE channel for
    DVD unit and better performance.

    I've got a card reader instead of a floppy, so on original install i had
    to press F6 to install 3rd party RAID drivers, hang a floppy drive out
    of the case to install them from floppy disk, then bingo....Windows
    recognises the hard drive on RAID controller and installs fine.

    After 15 months...I now need to do a clean Windows reinstall....got
    problems similar to a few people with Broadcom LAN not being detected on
    cold boot, disappearing CD drives, and loads of junk to remove..etc..

    I always prefer to do a format and clean install...but then i suspect
    i'd have to to open the case, connect floppy drive and go through the
    same process again....i'm loathe to do this because it's so tight and
    fiddly inside the box, you need 3 hands and baby size fingers..(which i
    don't have....).

    Is there some way i can use my XP install CD to do a clean re-install of
    Windows, WITHOUT going through the process of needing to reinstall these
    RAID drivers from a floppy disk?

    Cheers.

    Chris, Jun 16, 2005

  2. Chris

    Stephen Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:05:18 GMT, Chris <>
    had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >I have a Shuttle system, with RAID controller on motherboard.
    >Hard Disk is installed on the RAID controller to free up IDE channel for
    >DVD unit and better performance.
    >
    >I've got a card reader instead of a floppy, so on original install i had
    >to press F6 to install 3rd party RAID drivers, hang a floppy drive out
    >of the case to install them from floppy disk, then bingo....Windows
    >recognises the hard drive on RAID controller and installs fine.
    >
    >After 15 months...I now need to do a clean Windows reinstall....got
    >problems similar to a few people with Broadcom LAN not being detected on
    >cold boot, disappearing CD drives, and loads of junk to remove..etc..
    >
    >I always prefer to do a format and clean install...but then i suspect
    >i'd have to to open the case, connect floppy drive and go through the
    >same process again....i'm loathe to do this because it's so tight and
    >fiddly inside the box, you need 3 hands and baby size fingers..(which i
    >don't have....).
    >
    >Is there some way i can use my XP install CD to do a clean re-install of
    >Windows, WITHOUT going through the process of needing to reinstall these
    >RAID drivers from a floppy disk?
    >
    >Cheers.

    Check out Nlite and RyanVM's update pack to make a XP cd with the
    drivers.

    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89
    http://ryanvm.msfn.org/

    Stephen

    Stephen, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Jun 18, 2005
  4. Chris

    Jonathan Guest

    Stephen wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:05:18 GMT, Chris <>
    > had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
    >

    >>I have a Shuttle system, with RAID controller on motherboard.
    >>Hard Disk is installed on the RAID controller to free up IDE channel for
    >>DVD unit and better performance.
    >>
    >>I've got a card reader instead of a floppy, so on original install i had
    >>to press F6 to install 3rd party RAID drivers, hang a floppy drive out
    >>of the case to install them from floppy disk, then bingo....Windows
    >>recognises the hard drive on RAID controller and installs fine.
    >>
    >>After 15 months...I now need to do a clean Windows reinstall....got
    >>problems similar to a few people with Broadcom LAN not being detected on
    >>cold boot, disappearing CD drives, and loads of junk to remove..etc..
    >>
    >>I always prefer to do a format and clean install...but then i suspect
    >>i'd have to to open the case, connect floppy drive and go through the
    >>same process again....i'm loathe to do this because it's so tight and
    >>fiddly inside the box, you need 3 hands and baby size fingers..(which i
    >>don't have....).
    >>
    >>Is there some way i can use my XP install CD to do a clean re-install of
    >>Windows, WITHOUT going through the process of needing to reinstall these
    >>RAID drivers from a floppy disk?
    >>
    >>Cheers.

    > Check out Nlite and RyanVM's update pack to make a XP cd with the
    > drivers.
    >
    > http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89
    > http://ryanvm.msfn.org/
    >
    > Stephen

    A lower-tech solution, but better than the poster's original idea, is to
    use a USB floppy drive. You'd have to make sure your Shuttle works with
    USB floppies (I'm fairly sure it shouldn't be a problem); this worked
    fine for my SN85G4V2.

    good luck...

    Jonathan, Jun 21, 2005