XPS 420 Zapped by a Power Surge/Malfunctioning HDD Dock

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Monica, May 15, 2011.

  1. Monica

    Monica Guest

    During a short 3-4 second power outage, my desktop computer booted up with
    the blue screen that read,
    unmountable boot disk, Stop 0X000000ED
    I tried all the suggestions I could find on the web. Reset the Bios to
    factory defaults, checked that all the cables were seated, smelled for a
    burning odor in case something got fried, checked to see if the hdd was even
    spinning (it was). Tried booting from the XP cd but it wouldn't/couldn't
    read from the cd. Tried a couple other things but none worked. Bought a
    Rosewill Hard Drive Docking thingy, put my C drive in it and plugged it into
    the laptop with hopes of backing up some data. It's a simple usb plug n
    play device but when I plugged it into the laptop, I got the following
    message,
    "usb device malfunctioned. Windows doesn't recognize it". Tried rebooting
    3 times. Checked Device Manager. Unknown device.
    Checked for updated drivers...most recent is already installed. Does this
    sound like a defective device or something else?
    Thanks,
    Monica

    Monica, May 15, 2011

  2. Monica

    Monica Guest

    btw, I tried the hdd dock in three different usb ports on the same laptop.

    Monica, May 15, 2011

  3. Monica

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 15, 3:08 am, "Monica" <> wrote:
    > btw, I tried the hdd dock in three different usb ports on the same laptop..
    >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Monica

    Can you go into the BIOS and turn-off "Fast Boot"? Maybe that will
    give you a cue.
    Also, the factory default on booting may not be CD 1st, check that.
    Are you using a USB keyboard and mouse? (Asking because maybe some
    things work on that bus)

    Bob Villa, May 15, 2011
  4. On 5/15/2011 3:07 AM, Monica wrote:
    > During a short 3-4 second power outage, my desktop computer booted up
    > with the blue screen that read,
    > unmountable boot disk, Stop 0X000000ED
    > I tried all the suggestions I could find on the web. Reset the Bios to
    > factory defaults, checked that all the cables were seated, smelled for a
    > burning odor in case something got fried, checked to see if the hdd was
    > even spinning (it was). Tried booting from the XP cd but it
    > wouldn't/couldn't read from the cd. Tried a couple other things but none
    > worked. Bought a Rosewill Hard Drive Docking thingy, put my C drive in
    > it and plugged it into the laptop with hopes of backing up some data.
    > It's a simple usb plug n play device but when I plugged it into the
    > laptop, I got the following message,
    > "usb device malfunctioned. Windows doesn't recognize it". Tried
    > rebooting 3 times. Checked Device Manager. Unknown device.
    > Checked for updated drivers...most recent is already installed. Does
    > this sound like a defective device or something else?
    > Thanks,
    > Monica

    since you were unable to boot the xps 420 desktop from the cd drive i
    think you should ignoring your usb drive enclosure and drive issue for
    the moment because if you can't boot the system with a cd then it
    suggests that the system has problems beyond a possible disk problem
    (optical or hard).
    so, lets look at why it isn't booting from the cd. after resetting the
    system bios i suggest that you confirm that the hard disk drive and
    optical drive appear in the list under 'boot sequence' menu and that the
    all sata drives are all set to "on" in the bios. then, with the xp cd
    in the optical drive, turn on the computer and when "f2=setup, f12=boot
    menu" press f12. next you will see a list of potentially bootable
    devices where you should select the optical (cd) drive. and then you
    will see a confirmation messages that says "press any key to boot from
    cd"... does it start from the xp cd or not? if not, and you don't even
    hear an attempt of it booting from the optical drive (drive doesn't even
    spin up) then i would think the problem is more fundamental than the
    optical drive or hard drive.
    as for the usb enclosure not working, what model is the enclosure and
    what model is the laptop?

    Christopher Muto, May 15, 2011
  5. On 5/15/2011 3:56 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
    > On 5/15/2011 3:07 AM, Monica wrote:
    >> During a short 3-4 second power outage, my desktop computer booted up
    >> with the blue screen that read,
    >> unmountable boot disk, Stop 0X000000ED
    >> I tried all the suggestions I could find on the web. Reset the Bios to
    >> factory defaults, checked that all the cables were seated, smelled for a
    >> burning odor in case something got fried, checked to see if the hdd was
    >> even spinning (it was). Tried booting from the XP cd but it
    >> wouldn't/couldn't read from the cd. Tried a couple other things but none
    >> worked. Bought a Rosewill Hard Drive Docking thingy, put my C drive in
    >> it and plugged it into the laptop with hopes of backing up some data.
    >> It's a simple usb plug n play device but when I plugged it into the
    >> laptop, I got the following message,
    >> "usb device malfunctioned. Windows doesn't recognize it". Tried
    >> rebooting 3 times. Checked Device Manager. Unknown device.
    >> Checked for updated drivers...most recent is already installed. Does
    >> this sound like a defective device or something else?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Monica

    > since you were unable to boot the xps 420 desktop from the cd drive i
    > think you should ignoring your usb drive enclosure and drive issue for
    > the moment because if you can't boot the system with a cd then it
    > suggests that the system has problems beyond a possible disk problem
    > (optical or hard).
    > so, lets look at why it isn't booting from the cd. after resetting the
    > system bios i suggest that you confirm that the hard disk drive and
    > optical drive appear in the list under 'boot sequence' menu and that the
    > all sata drives are all set to "on" in the bios. then, with the xp cd in
    > the optical drive, turn on the computer and when "f2=setup, f12=boot
    > menu" press f12. next you will see a list of potentially bootable
    > devices where you should select the optical (cd) drive. and then you
    > will see a confirmation messages that says "press any key to boot from
    > cd"... does it start from the xp cd or not? if not, and you don't even
    > hear an attempt of it booting from the optical drive (drive doesn't even
    > spin up) then i would think the problem is more fundamental than the
    > optical drive or hard drive.
    > as for the usb enclosure not working, what model is the enclosure and
    > what model is the laptop?

    and what model is the 3.5" desktop hard disk that you are trying to use
    in the usb enclosure?

    Christopher Muto, May 15, 2011
  6. Monica

    Monica Guest

    I a bit confused Bob. The compromised computer is a desktop (XPS 420). I
    don't recall if saw a "fast boot" tried to turn it off or not.
    What will it give me a clue to?
    Yes, the bootable drive is my CD drive (on the desk top). I've never looked
    at the bios of the laptop.
    I use a usb keyboard and mouse on the desktop and a usb mouse on the
    laptop...it works in all of the three ports.
    Also, I get the same error message whether I plug in the dock with or
    without the hdd in it. I put a new (unformatted)
    hdd in it and got NO error message BUT the laptop didn't detect that I'd
    even plugged anything in it. No message of any kind
    and no device listed in DM or in Devices and Printers.

    Monica, May 15, 2011
  7. Monica

    Monica Guest

    In the BIOS under Drives, all four SATA drives are listed as "on". SATA 0
    and 1 are the two hard drives.
    In Boot Sequence,
    1 is CD ROM
    2 is Onbaord SATA hdd
    3 is floppy drive
    4 is USB Device

    In the F12 menu, I see the list of bootable devices but when I hit Enter on
    the highlighted "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive"
    I get the following message:
    Alert! Failed to detect one or more drives during POST. Strike the F1 key
    to continue, F2 to run the setup utility,
    Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

    Choosing F1 (yes the drive is spinning) goes to Windows Setup. It loads
    files and then goes to a screen that says, "a problem has been detected and
    windows has been shut down to prevent damage.
    Technical info:
    Stop: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
    pci.sys- Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, datestamp 3b7d855c

    Trying F5 starts a test but soon sounds an alarm and gives me this message:
    Error Code 0146
    Msg: Error Code 2000-0146
    HDD 1- self test log contains previous errors.

    Hdd dock is a Rosewill RX=DU101
    Laptop (the working computer) is a Dell Inspiron N5010

    Monica, May 16, 2011
  8. Monica

    Monica Guest

    WD Caviar 3200

    Monica, May 16, 2011
  9. On 5/15/2011 7:18 PM, Monica wrote:
    > In the BIOS under Drives, all four SATA drives are listed as "on". SATA
    > 0 and 1 are the two hard drives.
    > In Boot Sequence,
    > 1 is CD ROM
    > 2 is Onbaord SATA hdd
    > 3 is floppy drive
    > 4 is USB Device
    >
    > In the F12 menu, I see the list of bootable devices but when I hit Enter
    > on the highlighted "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive"
    > I get the following message:
    > Alert! Failed to detect one or more drives during POST. Strike the F1
    > key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility,
    > Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.
    >
    > Choosing F1 (yes the drive is spinning) goes to Windows Setup. It loads
    > files and then goes to a screen that says, "a problem has been detected
    > and windows has been shut down to prevent damage.
    > Technical info:
    > Stop: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
    > pci.sys- Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, datestamp 3b7d855c
    >
    > Trying F5 starts a test but soon sounds an alarm and gives me this message:
    > Error Code 0146
    > Msg: Error Code 2000-0146
    > HDD 1- self test log contains previous errors.
    >
    > Hdd dock is a Rosewill RX=DU101
    > Laptop (the working computer) is a Dell Inspiron N5010
    >

    >> since you were unable to boot the xps 420 desktop from the cd drive i
    >> think you should ignoring your usb drive enclosure and drive issue for
    >> the moment because if you can't boot the system with a cd then it
    >> suggests that the system has problems beyond a possible disk problem
    >> (optical or hard).
    >> so, lets look at why it isn't booting from the cd. after resetting the
    >> system bios i suggest that you confirm that the hard disk drive and
    >> optical drive appear in the list under 'boot sequence' menu and that
    >> the all sata drives are all set to "on" in the bios. then, with the xp
    >> cd in the optical drive, turn on the computer and when "f2=setup,
    >> f12=boot menu" press f12. next you will see a list of potentially
    >> bootable devices where you should select the optical (cd) drive. and
    >> then you will see a confirmation messages that says "press any key to
    >> boot from cd"... does it start from the xp cd or not? if not, and you
    >> don't even hear an attempt of it booting from the optical drive (drive
    >> doesn't even spin up) then i would think the problem is more
    >> fundamental than the optical drive or hard drive.
    >> as for the usb enclosure not working, what model is the enclosure and
    >> what model is the laptop?

    what you are describing sounds like the machine is indeed able to boot
    from the cd but is choking on the hard disk when it is inspected. and
    that is consistant with the problems you expressed with using the
    external usb enclosure with the hard disk from the desktop. why not buy
    a new hard drive and put it in place of the old and then try to boot
    from the xp cd and install it on the new drive?

    Christopher Muto, May 16, 2011
  10. Monica

    Monica Guest

    I can try that. I have two new 1TB hdds. Just to make sure you
    understood...I get the error message with the external enclosure whether the
    hdd from my desktop is in it or it's got NO hdd in it. Does this make a
    difference in your reply?
    Are you thinking the hdd is toast? :eek: As in I'll never be able to recover
    any of the data off of it?
    If it is and I have to reinstall an OS, I'll buy a copy of Win 7. This was
    a Vista machine when I got it.
    I removed Vista to reinstall XP. It was a week of finding and installing
    "XP drivers for Vista" I should still
    have all those drivers backed up but if I have to start over, I think I
    should start over with Win 7.
    Monica

    Monica, May 16, 2011
  11. Monica

    Monica Guest

    As a test, I removed my internal backup drive (desktop) to see what it would
    do in the Rosewill HDD Dock. Same error message.

    I was directed to a program called HDD Regenerator, www.dposoft.net, in
    hopes of saving my hdd. I haven't used it yet as it strongly suggested
    backing up my hdd. Well, can't DO that! :eek: So, I haven't tried it yet.
    Anyone familiar with this program?
    Monica

    Monica, May 16, 2011
  12. On 5/15/2011 9:03 PM, Monica wrote:
    > I can try that. I have two new 1TB hdds. Just to make sure you
    > understood...I get the error message with the external enclosure whether
    > the hdd from my desktop is in it or it's got NO hdd in it. Does this
    > make a difference in your reply?
    > Are you thinking the hdd is toast? :eek: As in I'll never be able to
    > recover any of the data off of it?
    > If it is and I have to reinstall an OS, I'll buy a copy of Win 7. This
    > was a Vista machine when I got it.
    > I removed Vista to reinstall XP. It was a week of finding and installing
    > "XP drivers for Vista" I should still
    > have all those drivers backed up but if I have to start over, I think I
    > should start over with Win 7.
    > Monica
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> what you are describing sounds like the machine is indeed able to boot
    >> from the cd but is choking on the hard disk when it is inspected. and
    >> that is consistant with the problems you expressed with using the
    >> external usb enclosure with the hard disk from the desktop. why not
    >> buy a new hard drive and put it in place of the old and then try to
    >> boot from the xp cd and install it on the new drive?

    if you never had a drive that worked in that rosewill dock then it is
    certainly possible that the dock is defective. lots of doa complaints
    for the product on newegg. since you machine came with vista just
    install that on the new drive. once that it installed on the new drive
    then you can start trying to address the old drive, determine if it is
    defective or not, and copy data from it. i would not recommend using
    any repair tools until you have confidently determined that the drive is
    actually defective. as it stands now it is not a certaility that the
    old hard drive is the problem or not. could be, but the problem could
    also be something else. this is the problem with introducing many
    variables into any equation. so after removing the original and suspect
    hard disk from the xps 420, intall the new hard disk and install vista
    from booting with the vista cd or dell recovery media. load the drivers
    etc, and then try connecting the old hard disk to one of the acailable
    sata connectors and see if you can view the old drive or run diagnostics
    on it.

    Christopher Muto, May 16, 2011
  13. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Darn. I thought the fact that this external enclosure had so many reviews
    and a 4 out of 5 rating I was doing good.
    Can you suggest a different one? And yes, price matters.
    I hope I saved or made a Vista recovery CD. I DO have the XP and the SP 3
    CD.
    Thanks for your help,

    Monica, May 16, 2011
  14. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Could someone please suggest a couple good brands of hdd docks? I'm
    returning the Rosewill.
    Thanks

    Monica, May 16, 2011
  15. Monica

    RnR Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2011 13:41:56 -0500, "Monica" <>
    wrote:

    >Could someone please suggest a couple good brands of hdd docks? I'm
    >returning the Rosewill.
    >Thanks

    Monica, I don't know the model no. yet but I passed on the rosewill
    even tho cheaper and very popular and went for the slightly more
    expensive startech.com hdd dock. I was concerned of longevity and the
    rosewill reviews often mentioned going bust after a year or so or
    less.

    Mine is a dual dock and fits both 3.5 and 2.5 drives. I'm using it
    right now for recovery of files on a laptop drive. Just love it
    compared to my older external enclosures. Its a usb dock and I got it
    from newegg.com about 6 or so months ago.

    RnR, May 18, 2011
  16. Monica

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 18, 4:28 pm, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 May 2011 13:41:56 -0500, "Monica" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Could someone please suggest a couple good brands of hdd docks?  I'm
    > >returning the Rosewill.
    > >Thanks

    > Monica, I don't know the model no. yet but I passed on the rosewill
    > even tho cheaper and very popular and went for the slightly more
    > expensive startech.com hdd dock. I was concerned of longevity and the
    > rosewill reviews often mentioned going bust after a year or so or
    > less.
    >
    > Mine is a dual dock and fits both 3.5 and 2.5 drives.  I'm using it
    > right now for recovery of files on a laptop drive.   Just love it
    > compared to my older external enclosures.  Its a usb dock and I got it
    > from newegg.com about 6 or so months ago.

    I've stated this before...rosewill slaps their name on generic stuff.
    The quality (or lack of it) has varying degrees.

    Bob Villa, May 19, 2011
  17. Monica

    Monica Guest

    This will be here tomorrow. I just had to more or less close my eyes and
    pick one <lol> I'm not familiar with any of these manufacturers.
    XION XON-SAHDCB-COMBOCR 2.5" & 3.5" Black USB2.0 & eSATA Combo Dock Station
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190022

    I think it's pretty safe to say I'm going to have to reinstall Windows.
    I'm going to install Win 7 Home Premium. Bios shows this is a 64bit machine
    Would you guys suggest 32 or 64 bit with these specs?
    3GB of RAM, Quad Core 2.4GHZ, 8MB L2 Cache? Don't know if this is
    important but the Bios shows
    that Hyperthreading is not capable.
    Just don't want my computer to bog down. It was snappy and responsive with
    XP.
    Thanks,
    Monica

    Monica, May 19, 2011
  18. Monica

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2011 16:22:18 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    >On May 18, 4:28 pm, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 May 2011 13:41:56 -0500, "Monica" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Could someone please suggest a couple good brands of hdd docks?  I'm
    >> >returning the Rosewill.
    >> >Thanks

    >> Monica, I don't know the model no. yet but I passed on the rosewill
    >> even tho cheaper and very popular and went for the slightly more
    >> expensive startech.com hdd dock. I was concerned of longevity and the
    >> rosewill reviews often mentioned going bust after a year or so or
    >> less.
    >>
    >> Mine is a dual dock and fits both 3.5 and 2.5 drives.  I'm using it
    >> right now for recovery of files on a laptop drive.   Just love it
    >> compared to my older external enclosures.  Its a usb dock and I got it
    >> from newegg.com about 6 or so months ago.

    >I've stated this before...rosewill slaps their name on generic stuff.
    >The quality (or lack of it) has varying degrees.

    I wasn't aware of this but thanks !!!! So far the hdd dock I have
    works welll and I like the dual docking because I use both at the same
    time.

    RnR, May 19, 2011
  19. Monica

    Monica Guest

    hdd dock works! Both hdds are OK. The OS drive needed some files scanned
    and fixed. I don't know at this point if I need to upgrade XP. It might
    work when I put the drive back in the computer.
    But if it doesn't. I need to know whether to get Win 7 32 oe 64 bit.
    Thanks!

    Monica, May 20, 2011
  20. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Yay!!!!!!!!!!! I am back in business and didn't have to reformat :)
    My new little Xion hdd dock worked like a charm. In addition to 2.5 and 3.5
    hdds it also a multi-card reader, e-sata connection and two ports for usb
    devices. The first drive I put in it was my internal backup. It opened up
    the contents immediately. Then I tried my C (OS) drive. It churned a bit
    and a "red" light came on. After what seemed like 5 minutes, I got a
    message that some files were corrupt. Would I like Windows to fix them or
    continue. At this point the drive was not showing up in under Computer. I
    chose to let Windows fix it and I left the room. When I came back, the
    drive letter was listed and every file and program I've tested opened. OK,
    but will it boot up in the desktop? YES!!!! Whew! Ask me how happy I am
    that I don't have to spend $120 on Win 7 and start from scratch. UBER
    HAPPY! Thanks for all the help :)
    Now to get my external installed and start the auto backups going again.
    Oh, I also bought the APC 450w/750va, 10 outlet Battery Backup. With any
    luck, this won't happen for another 18 years :eek:
    Monica

    Monica, May 20, 2011