    drive but not adding an additional one to an empty bay.)

    Anyone have an issue adding a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB?

    Thanks, -Ron
    Ron, Mar 17, 2011

  2. Ron

    Daddy Guest

    Ron wrote:
    > I'd rather not open the computer more than once, and I haven't found
    > confirmation of this in my online account specs, so I thought I'd ask.
    > When I go to install a second internal (3.5") SATA drive, do I
    > understand correctly that the power cable will be in there loose, but
    > that I need to supply my own data cable? And that the drive bay will
    > have the appropriate bracket with mounting screws? (The online manual
    > describes replacing a drive but not adding an additional one to an empty
    > bay.)
    >
    > Anyone have an issue adding a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB?
    >
    > Thanks, -Ron

    You won't know for sure without opening the computer, however, Dell's
    consumer power supplies typically have an extra, unused power connector
    for your (unidentified) hard disk; and the drive bay will be the right
    size for any consumer 3.5-inch hard disk. You will likely need to supply
    your own screws, but they will be packed with the new disk. You will
    need to supply your own data cable, which will cost you a few bucks at
    your nearest computer store.

    The power and data cables are designed to only plug into their
    connectors the right way, so if they don't fit at first, don't force
    them. In general, don't use brute force to jam things into place and do
    not tighten the screws until your fingers turn white to make sure they
    don't fall out. Don't ask me how I know these things. I just...know.

    Daddy
    Daddy, Mar 17, 2011

  3. On 3/17/2011 1:52 PM, Ron wrote:
    > I'd rather not open the computer more than once, and I haven't found
    > confirmation of this in my online account specs, so I thought I'd ask.
    > When I go to install a second internal (3.5") SATA drive, do I
    > understand correctly that the power cable will be in there loose, but
    > that I need to supply my own data cable? And that the drive bay will
    > have the appropriate bracket with mounting screws? (The online manual
    > describes replacing a drive but not adding an additional one to an empty
    > bay.)
    >
    > Anyone have an issue adding a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB?
    >
    > Thanks, -Ron

    that is correct. and if you purchase a 'retail' edition of a hard disk
    (packaged in a pretty box) it will come with a data cable however it may
    be a bit short for the large xps case. and ideally you want a data
    cable that has a right angle connector on the hard disk end.
    Christopher Muto, Mar 17, 2011
  4. Ron

    Brian K Guest

    "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    > On 3/17/2011 1:52 PM, Ron wrote:

    .. and ideally you want a data
    > cable that has a right angle connector on the hard disk end.

    I helped a mate install a second HD to a 9000. From memory you can't close
    the case unless you use a right angle connector.

    Ron, make sure you then turn that SATA port ON in the BIOS.
    Brian K, Mar 17, 2011
  5. "Daddy" wrote:
    > [.......]
    > .... You will need to supply your own data cable, which
    > will cost you a few bucks at your nearest computer store.

    Or try Silicon Valley Compucycle (www.SVC.com)
    for a good selection of cables at low prices. They offer
    SATA cables with one or two right-angle connectors.
    http://www.svc.com/sata-cable.html

    *TimDaniels*
    Timothy Daniels, Mar 18, 2011
  6. Ron

    RnR Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:57:11 +1100, "Brian K"
    <> wrote:

    >"Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    >> On 3/17/2011 1:52 PM, Ron wrote:

    >. and ideally you want a data
    >> cable that has a right angle connector on the hard disk end.

    >I helped a mate install a second HD to a 9000. From memory you can't close
    >the case unless you use a right angle connector.
    >
    >Ron, make sure you then turn that SATA port ON in the BIOS.

    Ron, the 410 has to have a right angle connector. I think Tom Scales
    told me when I got mine and he was right. Worked like a charm.
    RnR, Mar 18, 2011
  7. On 3/17/2011 5:07 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
    > On 3/17/2011 1:52 PM, Ron wrote:
    >> I'd rather not open the computer more than once, and I haven't found
    >> confirmation of this in my online account specs, so I thought I'd ask.
    >> When I go to install a second internal (3.5") SATA drive, do I
    >> understand correctly that the power cable will be in there loose, but
    >> that I need to supply my own data cable? And that the drive bay will
    >> have the appropriate bracket with mounting screws? (The online manual
    >> describes replacing a drive but not adding an additional one to an empty
    >> bay.)
    >>
    >> Anyone have an issue adding a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB?
    >>
    >> Thanks, -Ron

    > that is correct. and if you purchase a 'retail' edition of a hard disk
    > (packaged in a pretty box) it will come with a data cable however it may
    > be a bit short for the large xps case. and ideally you want a data cable
    > that has a right angle connector on the hard disk end.

    correction: you do not need a right angle sata cable for the
    xps435t/9000. the 'business end' of the drives when mounted in this
    system face internally and so either a right angle or sraight sata cable
    will be fine. also, this system does not have drive cages but rather
    simple drive bays. you secure the drive to the bay with two standard
    drive screws that should come with any drive. if you don't have the
    screws then simply barrow one from the primary drive leaving one behind
    in the primary drive and giving you one to secure the secondary drive
    (though two would be better, you only really need one screw in each
    drive).
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/435T/en/SM/drives.htm#wp1188656
    Christopher Muto, Mar 18, 2011
  8. Ron

    Ron Guest

    > correction: you do not need a right angle sata cable for the xps435t/9000.
    > the 'business end' of the drives when mounted in this system face
    > internally and so either a right angle or sraight sata cable will be fine.
    > also, this system does not have drive cages but rather simple drive bays.
    > you secure the drive to the bay with two standard drive screws that should
    > come with any drive. if you don't have the screws then simply barrow one
    > from the primary drive leaving one behind in the primary drive and giving
    > you one to secure the secondary drive (though two would be better, you
    > only really need one screw in each drive).
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/435T/en/SM/drives.htm#wp1188656

    Yes, that link is one reason I posted - it assumes you're replacing a drive
    not adding one, so is unclear about whether the empty bay has dummy screws
    attached. Great suggestion about borrowing from the primary, thanks.

    The drive I had my eye on on Amazon is listed as "bare." Reading more, I
    see others call them "oem" drives. Apparently, that means they'll not come
    with cable or screws. In fact, I'm not totally sure it's encased - the pic
    seems to show the mechanism exposed. Maybe they're made now with
    transparency on one side of the case, but I think I'll get clarification at
    the nearby MicroCenter before a final decision on model.

    This video on installing a second drive in a "Dimension" (not the 9000):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaBB8X6KhQ gives the impression there's a
    bracket in the bay, so I'm glad to get better info here.

    Some great comments on what I was afraid might be too trivial a question.
    Thanks to everyone! -Ron
    Ron, Mar 18, 2011
  9. Ron

    Steve W. Guest

    Ron wrote:
    > Yes, that link is one reason I posted - it assumes you're replacing a
    > drive not adding one, so is unclear about whether the empty bay has
    > dummy screws attached. Great suggestion about borrowing from the
    > primary, thanks.

    Adding a drive is just like R&Ring one. You just skip the first R.

    > The drive I had my eye on on Amazon is listed as "bare." Reading
    > more, I see others call them "oem" drives. Apparently, that means
    > they'll not come with cable or screws.

    Bare/OEM drives are JUST the drive, usually in a anti-static bag and a
    generic box.
    No drive copy software no fancy box or cables or screws like comes with
    retail
    drives. BUT if you're adding it as a second drive you will be fine.
    Just buy a cable and borrow a screw (or just buy a small pack when you
    buy the cable many of the places that sell computer components will have
    them.

    > In fact, I'm not totally sure it's encased - the pic seems to show
    > the mechanism exposed. Maybe they're made now with transparency on
    > one side of the case, but I think I'll get clarification at the
    > nearby MicroCenter before a final decision on model.

    That picture is just to show you the guts. NO hard drives come open or
    with clear panels. They are all assembled in a clean room and even the
    tiny air vent on them has a high efficiency filter on the interior.

    > This video on installing a second drive in a "Dimension" (not the
    > 9000): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaBB8X6KhQ gives the
    > impression there's a bracket in the bay, so I'm glad to get better
    > info here.

    The bay in that machine is a small box that has tabs sticking out
    inside. The drives slide in between the tabs (sort of like a shelf in a
    cabinet sets on the pins on the sides) then you secure it in place with
    a screw. The only real thing the screws do is keep the drives from
    sliding/falling out if you transport the machine. If you don't plan on
    skydiving with it you really don't need more than one screw.

    --
    Steve W.
    Steve W., Mar 18, 2011
  10. On 3/17/2011 10:52 PM, Ron wrote:

    >> correction: you do not need a right angle sata cable for the
    >> xps435t/9000. the 'business end' of the drives when mounted in this
    >> system face internally and so either a right angle or sraight sata
    >> cable will be fine. also, this system does not have drive cages but
    >> rather simple drive bays. you secure the drive to the bay with two
    >> standard drive screws that should come with any drive. if you don't
    >> have the screws then simply barrow one from the primary drive leaving
    >> one behind in the primary drive and giving you one to secure the
    >> secondary drive (though two would be better, you only really need one
    >> screw in each drive).
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/435T/en/SM/drives.htm#wp1188656
    >>

    > Yes, that link is one reason I posted - it assumes you're replacing a
    > drive not adding one, so is unclear about whether the empty bay has
    > dummy screws attached. Great suggestion about borrowing from the
    > primary, thanks.
    >
    > The drive I had my eye on on Amazon is listed as "bare." Reading more, I
    > see others call them "oem" drives. Apparently, that means they'll not
    > come with cable or screws. In fact, I'm not totally sure it's encased -
    > the pic seems to show the mechanism exposed. Maybe they're made now with
    > transparency on one side of the case, but I think I'll get clarification
    > at the nearby MicroCenter before a final decision on model.
    >
    > This video on installing a second drive in a "Dimension" (not the 9000):
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaBB8X6KhQ gives the impression there's
    > a bracket in the bay, so I'm glad to get better info here.
    >
    > Some great comments on what I was afraid might be too trivial a
    > question. Thanks to everyone! -Ron

    you are right about an oem version of a drive being a bare drive without
    a cable, screws, or installation cd (used for cloning among other
    things). it comes in a anti-static bag and no retail box. sometimes
    the warranty is also different than that of the retail version. i
    suggest you look at purchasing from newegg.com as they usually have the
    best pricing. newegg.com also has inexpensive sata cables for sale.
    but then again bestbuy and staples occasionally have sales on the retail
    version of drives that include the cable (but these are usually the
    older/smaller capacity drives that go on sale).

    the second drive installs in your system directly below the primary
    drive. there is a bay for each so no worries there.

    your case design is no like the 'btx' style in that video. your case
    does not open like that one does and your drives are not installed in a
    drive sled or caddy nor do they use drive rails to install. they simply
    slip into a drive bay and then are secured in place with a screw on the
    side. it will be obvious once you open the case and see how the other
    one is installed.

    about half way through this video of an xps 9000 unboxing the person
    opens the case and looks around inside. you can see the primary drive
    in the bay and the available drive bays underneath it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlaUx91HS58
    Christopher Muto, Mar 18, 2011
  11. Ron

    Ron Guest

    > about half way through this video of an xps 9000 unboxing the person opens
    > the case and looks around inside. you can see the primary drive in the
    > bay and the available drive bays underneath it.
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlaUx91HS58

    Yes, I can even see the empty screw holes in the empty bays. Not sure why I
    didn't find that video. Thanks again, and thanks to everyone who responded.

    -Ron

    BTW, I'm rethinking Seagate. The 1TB Barracuda I've been considering has a
    significant number of "one-stars" in customer reviews, such as on NewEgg or
    Amazon. Over the years, I've had good results with the few Seagate products
    I've bought - mostly external drives - but sounds like there may be issues
    here. Will look at Western Digital as well.
    Ron, Mar 18, 2011
  12. Ron

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Ron" wrote in message news:ilthoi$nqo$-september.org...

    I'd rather not open the computer more than once, and I haven't found
    confirmation of this in my online account specs, so I thought I'd ask. When
    I go to install a second internal (3.5") SATA drive, do I understand
    correctly that the power cable will be in there loose, but that I need to
    supply my own data cable? And that the drive bay will have the appropriate
    bracket with mounting screws? (The online manual describes replacing a
    drive but not adding an additional one to an empty bay.)

    Anyone have an issue adding a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB?

    Thanks, -Ron

    You do need your own data cable but the screws are already in the 9000
    I have three hard drives in mine and had no trouble mounting the second
    and third at all.

    Tom L
    Tom Lake, Mar 19, 2011
  13. Ron

    RnR Guest

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 00:57:16 -0400, "Tom Lake" <>
    wrote:

    >"Ron" wrote in message news:ilthoi$nqo$-september.org...
    >
    >I'd rather not open the computer more than once, and I haven't found
    >confirmation of this in my online account specs, so I thought I'd ask. When
    >I go to install a second internal (3.5") SATA drive, do I understand
    >correctly that the power cable will be in there loose, but that I need to
    >supply my own data cable? And that the drive bay will have the appropriate
    >bracket with mounting screws? (The online manual describes replacing a
    >drive but not adding an additional one to an empty bay.)
    >
    >Anyone have an issue adding a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB?
    >
    >Thanks, -Ron
    >
    >You do need your own data cable but the screws are already in the 9000
    >I have three hard drives in mine and had no trouble mounting the second
    >and third at all.
    >
    >Tom L

    Tom, just for clarity, did you need a right angle connector on the 2nd
    or 3rd drive?
    RnR, Mar 19, 2011
  14. Ron

    Ron Guest

    > ...... but the screws are already in the 9000
    > I have three hard drives in mine and had no trouble mounting the second
    > and third at all.
    >
    > Tom L

    Take a look at the video posted by Christopher Muto (above) at 6'48". No
    screws evident in the empty bays. Are screws mounted elsewhere in the case?

    While I'm posting, the cables closest to the installed HDD shown in this
    video seem to pass vertically by. As if they're plugged in like the
    secondary plug was on the old IDE data ribbon. I'm guessing this is an
    illusion and that what we're actually seeing is a cable organizer clip, with
    the actual connecting cables hidden underneath it. It would appear though
    that you can't go wrong with a right angle connector.

    No point speculating I guess. Hopefully I'll be installing soon. Any
    surprises, I'll post back.

    -Ron
    Ron, Mar 19, 2011
  15. Ron

    Daddy Guest

    Ron wrote:
    >> ...... but the screws are already in the 9000
    >> I have three hard drives in mine and had no trouble mounting the second
    >> and third at all.
    >>
    >> Tom L
    >>

    > Take a look at the video posted by Christopher Muto (above) at 6'48".
    > No screws evident in the empty bays. Are screws mounted elsewhere in
    > the case?
    >
    > While I'm posting, the cables closest to the installed HDD shown in this
    > video seem to pass vertically by. As if they're plugged in like the
    > secondary plug was on the old IDE data ribbon. I'm guessing this is an
    > illusion and that what we're actually seeing is a cable organizer clip,
    > with the actual connecting cables hidden underneath it. It would appear
    > though that you can't go wrong with a right angle connector.
    >
    > No point speculating I guess. Hopefully I'll be installing soon. Any
    > surprises, I'll post back.
    >
    > -Ron

    You know, you really ought to open the case and have a look around. Most
    of your questions will be answered, and you can plan your install
    strategy. You'll also become more comfortable with the guts of your
    computer, and that will make you feel more confident. Before too long,
    someone will be asking /you/ for advice. ;-)

    Daddy
    Daddy, Mar 21, 2011
  16. Ron

    Ron Guest

    > You know, you really ought to open the case and have a look around.

    You're right of course. I was a wus about it. (I think that's the
    appellation my grand niece would use.)

    Job done. Testing new drive now.

    For future searchers: The power cable *is* a single ribbon, with connectors
    for drives 2-3 spliced in. I didn't find screws in there, but ended up
    buying a retail kit, on sale for less than the bare drive. Just going into
    the BIOS causes it to recognize the drive - I don't know if it's necessary
    to do a "save", but I did. Turns out the model id is exactly the same as my
    OEM drive in the device manager, so I'll need to stay alert there.

    Be careful using the Win7 Disk Management window to format the new drive -
    you don't wanna accidentally reformat the boot drive. I'm not sure whether
    the interface would give a warning if you tried, but in navigating the top
    pane which lists the partitions of all drives, the bottom pane doesn't
    necessarily scroll to the drive being highlighted.

    Hope this helps someone else. -Ron
    Ron, Mar 21, 2011
  17. Ron

    RnR Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:12:41 -0400, "Ron" <>
    wrote:

    >> You know, you really ought to open the case and have a look around.

    >You're right of course. I was a wus about it. (I think that's the
    >appellation my grand niece would use.)
    >
    >Job done. Testing new drive now.
    >
    >For future searchers: The power cable *is* a single ribbon, with connectors
    >for drives 2-3 spliced in. I didn't find screws in there, but ended up
    >buying a retail kit, on sale for less than the bare drive. Just going into
    >the BIOS causes it to recognize the drive - I don't know if it's necessary
    >to do a "save", but I did. Turns out the model id is exactly the same as my
    >OEM drive in the device manager, so I'll need to stay alert there.
    >
    >Be careful using the Win7 Disk Management window to format the new drive -
    >you don't wanna accidentally reformat the boot drive. I'm not sure whether
    >the interface would give a warning if you tried, but in navigating the top
    >pane which lists the partitions of all drives, the bottom pane doesn't
    >necessarily scroll to the drive being highlighted.
    >
    >Hope this helps someone else. -Ron

    Did you need a right angle connector for the 2nd or 3rd drive?
    RnR, Mar 21, 2011
  18. Ron

    Ron Guest

    > Did you need a right angle connector for the 2nd or 3rd drive?

    No. Sorry, I remembered after I posted that someone had asked about that
    too. The cable that came with the retail kit was straight angled on both
    ends and was maybe 20". More than long enough, but you do need a little
    play. Easy plugging into the drive. It took a little longer getting it
    positioned into the SATA 4 socket, because my knuckles came up against the
    video card in the PCIe x 16 slot.

    Shouldn't be a problem. Good luck, -Ron
    Ron, Mar 22, 2011