XPS 811 on board lan problem

Discussion in 'Dell' started by john, Jun 19, 2011.

  1. john

    john Guest

    Since Friday morning I have not been able to get online through the
    onboard lan, it is missing from the device manager, however the WLAN
    card is working ok.

    I have installed the latest driver from Dell and the latest chipset
    driver from Dell. No help with either.

    This may be related: Since the same time when I shut down from the
    Windows Start Button the box immediately reboots. I can only power off
    by holding down the power button.

    I've googled a bit but haven't found a solution, might the motherboard
    be on the way out?

    I am up to date on MS and have scanned for malware with no results.

    Any suggestions, please

    john

    1. Advertising

  2. On 6/19/2011 5:07 PM, john wrote:
    > Since Friday morning I have not been able to get online through the
    > onboard lan, it is missing from the device manager, however the WLAN
    > card is working ok.
    >
    > I have installed the latest driver from Dell and the latest chipset
    > driver from Dell. No help with either.
    >
    > This may be related: Since the same time when I shut down from the
    > Windows Start Button the box immediately reboots. I can only power off
    > by holding down the power button.
    >
    > I've googled a bit but haven't found a solution, might the motherboard
    > be on the way out?
    >
    > I am up to date on MS and have scanned for malware with no results.
    >
    > Any suggestions, please
    >
    > john

    assuming you are running some version of windows... use windows system
    restore to restore the system to a data prior to when the problem began.
    sounds like windows has either become corrupted or your installed
    something (hardware or software) that is in conflict with the integrated
    wired network adapter.

    1. Advertising

  3. john

    john Guest

    On 6/19/2011 5:30 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
    > On 6/19/2011 5:07 PM, john wrote:
    >> Since Friday morning I have not been able to get online through the
    >> onboard lan, it is missing from the device manager, however the WLAN
    >> card is working ok.
    >>
    >> I have installed the latest driver from Dell and the latest chipset
    >> driver from Dell. No help with either.
    >>
    >> This may be related: Since the same time when I shut down from the
    >> Windows Start Button the box immediately reboots. I can only power off
    >> by holding down the power button.
    >>
    >> I've googled a bit but haven't found a solution, might the motherboard
    >> be on the way out?
    >>
    >> I am up to date on MS and have scanned for malware with no results.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions, please
    >>
    >> john
    >>

    > assuming you are running some version of windows... use windows system
    > restore to restore the system to a data prior to when the problem began.
    > sounds like windows has either become corrupted or your installed
    > something (hardware or software) that is in conflict with the integrated
    > wired network adapter.

    I stepped backwards through the available Restore Points until I reached
    this error "The file or directory is corrupted and unavailable".

    I's still looking for some options.

    Thnaks

    john

  4. On 6/19/2011 8:46 PM, john wrote:
    > On 6/19/2011 5:30 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
    >> On 6/19/2011 5:07 PM, john wrote:
    >>> Since Friday morning I have not been able to get online through the
    >>> onboard lan, it is missing from the device manager, however the WLAN
    >>> card is working ok.
    >>>
    >>> I have installed the latest driver from Dell and the latest chipset
    >>> driver from Dell. No help with either.
    >>>
    >>> This may be related: Since the same time when I shut down from the
    >>> Windows Start Button the box immediately reboots. I can only power off
    >>> by holding down the power button.
    >>>
    >>> I've googled a bit but haven't found a solution, might the motherboard
    >>> be on the way out?
    >>>
    >>> I am up to date on MS and have scanned for malware with no results.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions, please
    >>>
    >>> john
    >>>

    >> assuming you are running some version of windows... use windows system
    >> restore to restore the system to a data prior to when the problem began.
    >> sounds like windows has either become corrupted or your installed
    >> something (hardware or software) that is in conflict with the integrated
    >> wired network adapter.

    > I stepped backwards through the available Restore Points until I reached
    > this error "The file or directory is corrupted and unavailable".
    >
    > I's still looking for some options.
    >
    > Thnaks
    >
    > john

    that seems to confirm that your installation of windows is corrupt. i
    suggest that you back-up all of your data and then run disk diagnostics
    to make sure your drive is ok before doing any further troubleshooting.

  5. john

    john Guest

    On 6/20/2011 1:48 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:

    > that seems to confirm that your installation of windows is corrupt. i
    > suggest that you back-up all of your data and then run disk diagnostics
    > to make sure your drive is ok before doing any further troubleshooting.

    I'm all backed up. I think I'm on the road to some hardware failure,
    today I found the box with no display and 6 beeps. This seems to be a
    video card problem I going to reseat the video card and the memory. I'll
    report back after I've done that - it may be a day or two.

    Thanks for the suggestions.