XPS woes

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jc, Mar 8, 2011.

  1. jc

    jc Guest

    I have a Dell XPS P4, 3.2 Ghz machine that I've recently re-installed the OS
    from the disks Dell gave me when I bought it in 2005. I put in all the resource
    disks that Dell gave me, including the Sound Blaster disk, but I've run into
    problems with the video controller.

    Originally, when I went to the Device Manager, I saw that my Video Controller
    and Ethernet Controller were in "Other Devices" with a yellow question mark. My
    DSL was not working, and I assumed that was the problem. I followed Dells (very
    specific) directions to the letter but there was no folder on the disk with the
    name they mentioned. They also did not specify the name of the driver file.

    After going around and around with Dell over the phone, and refusing to pay $125
    for them to fix it, I found (purely by accident) the setup files for the
    ethernet card on the resource disk, installed it and now have internet again.

    I have a 256mb Nvidia GeForce 6800 Graphics Card installed and Sound Blaster
    Audigy THX sound card. As an aside, the sound was giving me trouble as well but
    I kicked the stupid thing and it started working, so clearly there was/is
    something not quite right with the connections or card itself (ok, it wasn't a
    "I'm going to destroy you" kick, it more like a shove to get the box back in the
    corner where it lives... although I have seriously considered kicking the crap
    out of this thing, more than one. I also have a Colt .45 ACP sitting on top of
    the box and have threatened, on more than one occasion, to shoot holes in it!
    It would be loud and expensive, but oh, so satisfying!).

    The video controller still has the yellow question mark in Device Manager. Can
    anyone tell me what folder, on the resource disk, contains the drivers? Or,
    even the specific name of the drivers. I have everything backed up on an
    external HD, so I have the driver file, I just don't know the name or location.
    I've gone over the resource disk several times, have clicked on every 'setup'
    file in it I can find, but it always says that that specific driver is already
    installed.
    TIA,
    jc

    jc, Mar 8, 2011

  2. On 3/8/2011 12:40 AM, jc wrote:
    > ill has the yellow question mark in Device Manager. Can
    > anyone tell me what folder, on the resource disk, contains the drivers? Or,
    > even the specific name of the drivers. I have everything backed up on an
    > external HD, so I have the dr

    after installing windows you should first install something called the
    'chipset' driver. once the chipset driver is installed then install the
    other drivers in whatever order you wish. you may find newer drivers
    than what came on the cd included with your computer on support.dell.com
    and then click on 'drivers and downloads'.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 8, 2011

  3. jc

    Daddy Guest

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    > On 3/8/2011 12:40 AM, jc wrote:
    >> ill has the yellow question mark in Device Manager. Can
    >> anyone tell me what folder, on the resource disk, contains the
    >> drivers? Or,
    >> even the specific name of the drivers. I have everything backed up on an
    >> external HD, so I have the dr

    > after installing windows you should first install something called the
    > 'chipset' driver. once the chipset driver is installed then install the
    > other drivers in whatever order you wish. you may find newer drivers
    > than what came on the cd included with your computer on support.dell.com
    > and then click on 'drivers and downloads'.

    Agree with Christopher 100%. Hitting your PC accomplishes nothing
    (except possibly damage.)

    Re-installing and clean installing require considerable preparation.
    Plenty of help on the web. In your particular case, installing updated
    drivers was needed. To obtain the latest drivers you can either go to
    Dell's website or to the hardware manufacturer's website. If unsure, go
    with Dell. Sometimes the manufacturer's website doesn't have optimal
    drivers for OEM hardware.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 8, 2011
  4. jc

    Steve W. Guest

    jc wrote:
    > I have a Dell XPS P4, 3.2 Ghz machine that I've recently re-installed the OS
    > from the disks Dell gave me when I bought it in 2005. I put in all the resource
    > disks that Dell gave me, including the Sound Blaster disk, but I've run into
    > problems with the video controller.
    >
    > Originally, when I went to the Device Manager, I saw that my Video Controller
    > and Ethernet Controller were in "Other Devices" with a yellow question mark. My
    > DSL was not working, and I assumed that was the problem. I followed Dells (very
    > specific) directions to the letter but there was no folder on the disk with the
    > name they mentioned. They also did not specify the name of the driver file.
    >
    > After going around and around with Dell over the phone, and refusing to pay $125
    > for them to fix it, I found (purely by accident) the setup files for the
    > ethernet card on the resource disk, installed it and now have internet again.
    >
    > I have a 256mb Nvidia GeForce 6800 Graphics Card installed and Sound Blaster
    > Audigy THX sound card. As an aside, the sound was giving me trouble as well but
    > I kicked the stupid thing and it started working, so clearly there was/is
    > something not quite right with the connections or card itself (ok, it wasn't a
    > "I'm going to destroy you" kick, it more like a shove to get the box back in the
    > corner where it lives... although I have seriously considered kicking the crap
    > out of this thing, more than one. I also have a Colt .45 ACP sitting on top of
    > the box and have threatened, on more than one occasion, to shoot holes in it!
    > It would be loud and expensive, but oh, so satisfying!).
    >
    > The video controller still has the yellow question mark in Device Manager. Can
    > anyone tell me what folder, on the resource disk, contains the drivers? Or,
    > even the specific name of the drivers. I have everything backed up on an
    > external HD, so I have the driver file, I just don't know the name or location.
    > I've gone over the resource disk several times, have clicked on every 'setup'
    > file in it I can find, but it always says that that specific driver is already
    > installed.
    > TIA,
    > jc

    Sounds like you didn't follow the proper order when you installed the
    drivers.

    First I would power it down, open the case and re-seat all the cards and
    memory. If just moving the machine caused a change there is something
    loose in the box.

    NOW install the chipset drivers.

    instead of using the discs I would hit Dells site and get the latest
    updated files for that machine. Just download them to another machine
    and transfer them over. Do this BEFORE you try to update the OS.
    Now install all the other drivers. Then as you get each one working
    create a restore point. Then install an AV program and do updates as
    needed. Don't install any other apps until you get the OS settled in
    with all the items working. Once you are sure it's OK then run a defrag,
    then go in and shut off system restore and shut down. Restart and turn
    system restore back on. Now create a system back-up disk. Once you have
    that done create a restore point and start installing your other apps.
    Once they are all in I like to create a second back-up disk. This way
    you have an OS base and one with all your items.

    --
    Steve W.

    Steve W., Mar 8, 2011
  5. jc

    Michael Arm Guest

    On 7 Mar 2011 23:40:07 -0600, jc <crkspamsucksckr@yahoo_nospam_.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a Dell XPS P4, 3.2 Ghz machine that I've recently re-installed the OS
    >from the disks Dell gave me when I bought it in 2005. I put in all the resource
    >disks that Dell gave me, including the Sound Blaster disk, but I've run into
    >problems with the video controller.
    >
    >Originally, when I went to the Device Manager, I saw that my Video Controller
    >and Ethernet Controller were in "Other Devices" with a yellow question mark. My
    >DSL was not working, and I assumed that was the problem. I followed Dells (very
    >specific) directions to the letter but there was no folder on the disk with the
    >name they mentioned. They also did not specify the name of the driver file.
    >
    >After going around and around with Dell over the phone, and refusing to pay $125
    >for them to fix it, I found (purely by accident) the setup files for the
    >ethernet card on the resource disk, installed it and now have internet again.
    >
    >I have a 256mb Nvidia GeForce 6800 Graphics Card installed and Sound Blaster
    >Audigy THX sound card. As an aside, the sound was giving me trouble as well but
    >I kicked the stupid thing and it started working, so clearly there was/is
    >something not quite right with the connections or card itself (ok, it wasn't a
    >"I'm going to destroy you" kick, it more like a shove to get the box back in the
    >corner where it lives... although I have seriously considered kicking the crap
    >out of this thing, more than one. I also have a Colt .45 ACP sitting on top of
    >the box and have threatened, on more than one occasion, to shoot holes in it!
    >It would be loud and expensive, but oh, so satisfying!).
    >
    >The video controller still has the yellow question mark in Device Manager. Can
    >anyone tell me what folder, on the resource disk, contains the drivers? Or,
    >even the specific name of the drivers. I have everything backed up on an
    >external HD, so I have the driver file, I just don't know the name or location.
    >I've gone over the resource disk several times, have clicked on every 'setup'
    >file in it I can find, but it always says that that specific driver is already
    >installed.
    >TIA,
    >jc

    Go to the nvidia website, locate the card drivers, download and
    install. Simple! Especially since you have the ethernet card working.
    Mike

    Michael Arm, Mar 8, 2011
  6. jc

    jc Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 09:34:34 -0500, Christopher Muto <>
    wrote:

    >after installing windows you should first install something called the
    >'chipset' driver. once the chipset driver is installed then install the
    >other drivers in whatever order you wish. you may find newer drivers
    >than what came on the cd included with your computer on support.dell.com
    >and then click on 'drivers and downloads'.

    Thanks, Chris, but I did that, exactly per Dells instructions. The Dell
    resource disks are the source of that chipset. All of the drivers (according to
    Dell) were supposed to install automatically, via the MS Installation Wizard,
    however, it clearly missed a couple, namely the ethernet and video drivers.
    Until I accidently found the ethernet driver, I had no way to access the
    internet, thus no way to find out what drivers are even necessary, much less
    upgrade/update anything.

    I'm sure there are newer drivers, especially since I've installed SP3.
    Cheers,
    jc

    jc, Mar 8, 2011
  7. jc

    jc Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:56:44 -0500, Daddy <> wrote:

    >Agree with Christopher 100%. Hitting your PC accomplishes nothing
    >(except possibly damage.)

    I dunno about that, it got my sound working! And it does feel really good at
    times. Clearly, there's something loose either on the card itself or with one
    of the connectors (I suspect the plug connectors).

    >Re-installing and clean installing require considerable preparation.
    >Plenty of help on the web. In your particular case, installing updated
    >drivers was needed. To obtain the latest drivers you can either go to
    >Dell's website or to the hardware manufacturer's website. If unsure, go
    >with Dell. Sometimes the manufacturer's website doesn't have optimal
    >drivers for OEM hardware.
    >
    >Daddy

    Actually, Dell has very specific instructions on their (quagmire of a) website,
    which I printed out and followed to the letter. It's just that what they said
    to do wasn't possible, due to the fact that folders they said to go to simply
    didn't exist. It's probably just me but I find Dells website to be extremely
    haphazard and it seems to take me a long time to find exactly what I'm looking
    for. I know they try to take everyone's different system into account but I
    find it to be as frustrating as the Microsoft website. Then again, nearly
    everything having to do with computers frustrates me at some point.
    Cheers,
    jc

    jc, Mar 8, 2011
  8. jc

    jc Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:57:10 -0500, "Steve W." <> wrote:

    >Sounds like you didn't follow the proper order when you installed the
    >drivers.

    Thanks, Steve, but I printed out and faithfully followed Dell's very specific
    directions to the letter. At least, as far as I could, since they were
    directing me to folders/files that simply do not exist. I suspect that Dell has
    upgraded their updates, but didn't take into account that people might actually
    use one of their products for more than a year or so.

    >First I would power it down, open the case and re-seat all the cards and
    >memory. If just moving the machine caused a change there is something
    >loose in the box.

    Done that, which is why I was pushing the box back into the corner where it
    lives, when the sound started working again. And I really didn't hit it, I just
    pushed it back into it's corner with my toe and it just happened to start
    working. I suspect it's something to do with with the plugs that go into the
    card, as they are the only thing that could possibly move when the box is moved.
    It was not jarred in any way, just pushed back. I really did want to give it a
    good whack, but even a Neaderthal like me knows that doesn't actually work, it
    just makes you feel better. Temporarily, of course, but in the heat of the
    moment...

    >NOW install the chipset drivers.

    Yep, done that.

    >instead of using the discs I would hit Dells site and get the latest
    >updated files for that machine. Just download them to another machine
    >and transfer them over. Do this BEFORE you try to update the OS.
    >Now install all the other drivers. Then as you get each one working
    >create a restore point. Then install an AV program and do updates as
    >needed. Don't install any other apps until you get the OS settled in
    >with all the items working. Once you are sure it's OK then run a defrag,
    >then go in and shut off system restore and shut down. Restart and turn
    >system restore back on. Now create a system back-up disk. Once you have
    >that done create a restore point and start installing your other apps.
    >Once they are all in I like to create a second back-up disk. This way
    >you have an OS base and one with all your items.

    Installing the drivers from the internet isn't possible when you don't have any
    drivers in the first place. You can only upgrade/update them. Had I tried to
    follow your directions, I wouldn't even be able to connect to the internet,
    since there were no ethernet drivers.

    Now that I have internet access, I can find the updated drivers I need, but in
    the case of the video drivers, there is nothing presently installed, apparently,
    so I can't use the 'net to update - there's nothing there *to* update.

    Actually, the machine is working ok, much like it did when I first got it, since
    I got rid of several years worth of junk that had been accumulating. There are
    only two bugs, this question of the video drivers and the fact that I can't view
    ..pps and .wmv files from within Outlook Express. This is another problem I've
    had in the past but those fixes don't work on the newer version of Powerpoint (I
    foolishly downloaded and installed the 2010 version - I'm going to delete it
    tonight and install the older version, which I know I can make work!).

    The drivers for this video card are on these resource disks someplace, I just
    don't know where. Yet.
    Cheers,
    jc

    jc, Mar 8, 2011
  9. jc

    jc Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 17:12:39 -0500, Michael Arm <> wrote:

    >Go to the nvidia website, locate the card drivers, download and
    >install. Simple! Especially since you have the ethernet card working.
    >Mike

    Thanks, Mike, but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be able to install them, since you
    need an installation disk to get the Wizard to find the files - unless they have
    a 'setup' or similar file to download along with the drivers.

    Using a friends computer, I went to the Broadcom site (the guys who built my
    ethernet card) and they could only supply the driver files over the net, not the
    setup files. Plus, I'm not sure that this missing video driver is in any way
    related to Nvidia - the info in Device Manager doesn't give any specifics as to
    what drivers I need or what, specfically I need them for. For all I know, they
    may be some generic Microsoft drivers.

    I have all the drivers for the ethernet card, both downloaded by a friend and
    from the saved files on my external hard drive - however, the Wizard couldn't
    "see" them. I am sure I have the necessary video driver files. It's finding
    them on the Dell resource disk, which seems to be the only place I can install
    them from.

    I tried having the Wizard search every place I knew the files existed - the ext.
    HD, a flash drive (with the files downloaded from the Broadcom website), a CD
    with only those specific drivers on it, and even mental telepathy - but the Wiz
    was lost without the Dell resource disks and a setup or similar file to work
    from.

    The needed files are on one of the disks I have - but without knowing what
    folder they're in and what file I need to open to get the thing started, the
    video controller remains in the 'other' box with the yellow question mark.

    I should also add that everything in Device Manager, under the heading of
    "Sound, Video and Game Controllers," says that everything is working properly.
    It's just that one item in "Other Devices" that says the video controller does
    not have a driver.

    Flight Simulator 10 says it's "not working with my video controller" so there is
    definitely something out of whack with my system. All I have to do is find out
    what folder Dell hid the damn drivers in. It's just a double click away... if I
    only knew where to click!
    Cheers,
    jc

    jc, Mar 8, 2011
  10. jc

    Steve W. Guest

    jc wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:57:10 -0500, "Steve W." <> wrote:

    SNIP

    > Installing the drivers from the internet isn't possible when you don't have any
    > drivers in the first place. You can only upgrade/update them. Had I tried to
    > follow your directions, I wouldn't even be able to connect to the internet,
    > since there were no ethernet drivers.

    Didn't know you don't have a second machine. Or a friend with a machine.

    > Now that I have internet access, I can find the updated drivers I need, but in
    > the case of the video drivers, there is nothing presently installed, apparently,
    > so I can't use the 'net to update - there's nothing there *to* update.
    >
    > Actually, the machine is working ok, much like it did when I first got it, since
    > I got rid of several years worth of junk that had been accumulating. There are
    > only two bugs, this question of the video drivers and the fact that I can't view
    > .pps and .wmv files from within Outlook Express. This is another problem I've
    > had in the past but those fixes don't work on the newer version of Powerpoint (I
    > foolishly downloaded and installed the 2010 version - I'm going to delete it
    > tonight and install the older version, which I know I can make work!).

    Yeah I'm not real thrilled with the new 2010 version but I'll get used
    to it I guess.

    > The drivers for this video card are on these resource disks someplace, I just
    > don't know where. Yet.
    > Cheers,
    > jc

    Go directly to the Nvidea site.

    These should be the ones.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-266.58-whql-driver.html

    The download package will run and search for the card then install the
    driver and any needed control software for it.
    No need to use the MS wizard at all.

    Same thing with the audio card.

    http://support.creative.com/Products/Products.aspx?catid=1
    Not sure which model or I would run it down.

    As for the file problem in Outlook Express. The latest updates shut off
    some of the files that will open inline. By default they get turned off
    because they can carry virus files.
    You can change that by using the file controls under the tools menu.

    --
    Steve W.

    Steve W., Mar 9, 2011
  11. jc

    jc Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 21:50:39 -0500, "Steve W." <> wrote:

    >Yeah I'm not real thrilled with the new 2010 version but I'll get used
    >to it I guess.

    I even tried using an older version of PP, the one I had before all the trouble
    started, and even it won't change now. It gives me a huge dialog box with lots
    of switches, one of which I suppose I'm supposed to know where to put it. I'm
    ready to uninstall all of it and tell my email friends to not bother sending me
    any .pps files at all! Microsoft is really good at coming out with the 'new &
    improved' which turns out to be neither. They did the same with Picture It.
    I've used the '99 version for years and upgraded as soon as they came out with
    the newer program but they only managed to complicate the program to the point
    it's useless compared to PI99! Instead of 2 or 3 keystrokes to do something, it
    takes 5 and more in 'Premimum' so after using it for a week, I went back to 99.
    If I need something more powerful, which I sometimes do, I use Photo Delux.

    <snip>

    Thanks, I'll try the websites tomorrow and see if they have anything different,
    that's not already installed. It sure can't make anything worse and if nothing
    else, I can update the currently installed drivers, which is something I should
    do anyway.

    >As for the file problem in Outlook Express. The latest updates shut off
    >some of the files that will open inline. By default they get turned off
    >because they can carry virus files.
    >You can change that by using the file controls under the tools menu.

    I've tried - several times - to change the controls using tools/options but when
    I check the "always use this program..." it doesn't work and when I go back, the
    box is no longer checked. I think I'm going to delete all versions of PP on my
    computer and start over, but with an older version instead of the new one. This
    is an ongoing problem with MS, one I don't think they'll ever cure.
    Cheers,
    jc

    jc, Mar 9, 2011
  12. jc

    Steve W. Guest

    jc wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 21:50:39 -0500, "Steve W." <> wrote:
    >

    >> Yeah I'm not real thrilled with the new 2010 version but I'll get used
    >> to it I guess.

    > I even tried using an older version of PP, the one I had before all the trouble
    > started, and even it won't change now. It gives me a huge dialog box with lots
    > of switches, one of which I suppose I'm supposed to know where to put it. I'm
    > ready to uninstall all of it and tell my email friends to not bother sending me
    > any .pps files at all! Microsoft is really good at coming out with the 'new &
    > improved' which turns out to be neither. They did the same with Picture It.
    > I've used the '99 version for years and upgraded as soon as they came out with
    > the newer program but they only managed to complicate the program to the point
    > it's useless compared to PI99! Instead of 2 or 3 keystrokes to do something, it
    > takes 5 and more in 'Premimum' so after using it for a week, I went back to 99.
    > If I need something more powerful, which I sometimes do, I use Photo Delux.
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    > Thanks, I'll try the websites tomorrow and see if they have anything different,
    > that's not already installed. It sure can't make anything worse and if nothing
    > else, I can update the currently installed drivers, which is something I should
    > do anyway.
    >
    >> As for the file problem in Outlook Express. The latest updates shut off
    >> some of the files that will open inline. By default they get turned off
    >> because they can carry virus files.
    >> You can change that by using the file controls under the tools menu.

    > I've tried - several times - to change the controls using tools/options but when
    > I check the "always use this program..." it doesn't work and when I go back, the
    > box is no longer checked. I think I'm going to delete all versions of PP on my
    > computer and start over, but with an older version instead of the new one. This
    > is an ongoing problem with MS, one I don't think they'll ever cure.
    > Cheers,
    > jc

    I would just toss OE and install Thunderbird. Much more control for the
    end user. There are settings that allow you to adjust just about
    everything in the program.

    --
    Steve W.

    Steve W., Mar 9, 2011
  13. jc

    jc Guest

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:53:47 -0500, "Steve W." <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >I would just toss OE and install Thunderbird. Much more control for the
    >end user. There are settings that allow you to adjust just about
    >everything in the program.

    I've tried that a couple of times in the past but it's the one of the worst
    cases of "old dog, new tricks" syndrome you've ever seen. I've been using (and
    cursing) Outhouse since the beginning of my "computer experience" and yet the
    others I've tried (Netscape and Firefox, right off hand... there have been
    others) have always made me so mad within the first couple of days that I've
    always returned to OE like a whipped dog, whimpering for more abuse. As much as
    I hate my own vulnerability, I almost always choose the devil I know over the
    others. You should have seen and heard the kicking, screaming, crying and
    gnashing of teeth when they pried me away from MultiMate and forced Word down my
    throat! I was a wreck for months and to this day I curse Word for what it won't
    do at all that I could do with a single keystroke in MM. Intitutive indeed!
    I suppose in the overall scheme of things, being addicted to OE is not
    the worst of things that could happen to a guy. For that fact, I used to think
    I was a bit of a pervert... then I got on usenet and found out I don't even
    qualify for kinky. Oh well. The world is indeed a cruel and uncaring place for
    those with any kind of weakness!
    Cheers,
    jc

    jc, Mar 9, 2011
  14. jc

    RnR Guest

    On 9 Mar 2011 17:05:02 -0600, jc <crkspamsucksckr@yahoo_nospam_.com>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:53:47 -0500, "Steve W." <> wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >>
    >>I would just toss OE and install Thunderbird. Much more control for the
    >>end user. There are settings that allow you to adjust just about
    >>everything in the program.

    >I've tried that a couple of times in the past but it's the one of the worst
    >cases of "old dog, new tricks" syndrome you've ever seen. I've been using (and
    >cursing) Outhouse since the beginning of my "computer experience" and yet the
    >others I've tried (Netscape and Firefox, right off hand... there have been
    >others) have always made me so mad within the first couple of days that I've
    >always returned to OE like a whipped dog, whimpering for more abuse. As much as
    >I hate my own vulnerability, I almost always choose the devil I know over the
    >others. You should have seen and heard the kicking, screaming, crying and
    >gnashing of teeth when they pried me away from MultiMate and forced Word down my
    >throat! I was a wreck for months and to this day I curse Word for what it won't
    >do at all that I could do with a single keystroke in MM. Intitutive indeed!
    > I suppose in the overall scheme of things, being addicted to OE is not
    >the worst of things that could happen to a guy. For that fact, I used to think
    >I was a bit of a pervert... then I got on usenet and found out I don't even
    >qualify for kinky. Oh well. The world is indeed a cruel and uncaring place for
    >those with any kind of weakness!
    >Cheers,
    >jc

    Does Charley Sheen ring a bell using your train of thought <g> ?

    RnR, Mar 10, 2011
  15. jc

    jc Guest

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 18:31:46 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:

    >Does Charley Sheen ring a bell using your train of thought <g> ?

    Who? Sorry, no. If it's something on the news, you got me, I don't keep track.
    Cheers,
    jc

    jc, Mar 10, 2011
  16. jc

    BillW50 Guest

    On 3/9/2011 8:53 AM, Steve W. wrote:
    > I would just toss OE and install Thunderbird. Much more control for the
    > end user. There are settings that allow you to adjust just about
    > everything in the program.

    I am glad you like it, but I hate it! Thunderbird is one of the worst
    applications I have used in my life! It is very hard to navigate and it
    is so very slow. For example, only OE sports the must have feature show
    Replies to my posts (CTRL-H). This is a must have feature as far as I am
    concern. And only Microsoft products has it.

    I just never understood people who use software that does everything the
    very hard way.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)

    BillW50, Mar 10, 2011
  17. jc

    jc Guest

    Re: XPS woes - problem resolved

    On 7 Mar 2011 23:40:07 -0600, jc <crkspamsucksckr@yahoo_nospam_.com> wrote:

    >I have a Dell XPS P4 ...

    (snip)

    Well, the problem with the drivers for the video card have been solved. For
    some reason, it turns out the drivers I downloaded from the Dell website were
    not the right ones, unable to install themselves correctly, corrupted or
    whatever. I went to the Nvidia (GeForce) website, as suggested by Steve, and
    'chatted' with a tech named Sanjib. After a little exchange of information, he
    directed me to the correct driver, which installed itself correctly, unlike the
    one I downloaded from the Dell website. I've let the Nvidia people know about
    that, for whatever it's worth. The installation process, the screens,
    everything looked exactly the same, but only the driver off the Nvidia site
    actually worked.

    I've also resolved the PowerPoint problem. I blew up the 2010 version and
    downloaded the 2007 version, but unfortunately, it did the exact same thing. So
    the way I resolved it was to email my friends and tell them not to send me any
    more of those stupid .pps files. I've done every 'fix' I could find on the web
    with no success, so I've simply given up and - bingo! - the problem is resolved.
    Yes, I will miss a few airplane pictures and a little bit of porn, but at my
    age, I can afford to miss a few things without the world ending. Us
    Neanderthals are like that.

    It's all turned out better than I expected, in that at least I can go back to
    playing with Flight Simulator and my Realflight RC simulator. Hey, don't laugh,
    it keeps me off the streets!

    Anyway, thanks to all of you for the help, it's been fun.
    Cheers,
    jc

    jc, Mar 11, 2011
  18. jc

    BillW50 Guest

    On 3/10/2011 10:57 PM, jc wrote:
    > On 7 Mar 2011 23:40:07 -0600, jc<crkspamsucksckr@yahoo_nospam_.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Dell XPS P4 ...

    > (snip)
    >
    > Well, the problem with the drivers for the video card have been solved. For
    > some reason, it turns out the drivers I downloaded from the Dell website were
    > not the right ones, unable to install themselves correctly, corrupted or
    > whatever. I went to the Nvidia (GeForce) website, as suggested by Steve, and
    > 'chatted' with a tech named Sanjib. After a little exchange of information, he
    > directed me to the correct driver, which installed itself correctly, unlike the
    > one I downloaded from the Dell website. I've let the Nvidia people know about
    > that, for whatever it's worth. The installation process, the screens,
    > everything looked exactly the same, but only the driver off the Nvidia site
    > actually worked.

    I too have found Dell drivers are usually older and outdated compared to
    the OEM ones.

    [...]

    > It's all turned out better than I expected, in that at least I can go back to
    > playing with Flight Simulator and my Realflight RC simulator. Hey, don't laugh,
    > it keeps me off the streets!

    I too use MSFS and RF G2, G3.5, G4, and G5.5. With all of the add-ons
    and Expansion Packs. I also have X-Plane 9 which eats up 60GB of disk space.

    BillW50, Mar 11, 2011
  19. jc

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 06:45:19 -0600, BillW50 <> wrote:

    >> It's all turned out better than I expected, in that at least I can go back to
    >> playing with Flight Simulator and my Realflight RC simulator. Hey, don't laugh,
    >> it keeps me off the streets!

    >I too use MSFS and RF G2, G3.5, G4, and G5.5. With all of the add-ons
    >and Expansion Packs. I also have X-Plane 9 which eats up 60GB of disk space.

    I do love the flight simulators as they're as close to airplanes as I'm allowed
    to get these days. I worked at TWA and AA as an inspector and flew around in
    Decathalons & Citabria's for a long time but I wrecked my back in 2004 and now,
    because of the pain meds, I can't work around airplanes and even my simulator
    time is limited. But I get in what I can. The updated drivers have made this
    Dell work better than ever, which is a good thing, as this is very likely the
    last computer I'll ever buy, short of some catastrophic failure of some kind...
    like me getting ticked off and shooting holes in it! At least that scenario has
    diminished some lately!

    I tried X planes but didn't really care that much for it. Falcon 4.0 was my #1
    for a long time but more and more I find myself either flying FSX or the RC
    sims. It's funny, for years I was stuck in a trailer and had no place to build
    my RC planes... now I have a house and a place to build, but my flying field is
    gone with no replacement in site - not to mention the cost had about driven me
    out anyway (as it did flying full sized planes). Oh well, life... such as it
    is!
    Cheers,
    jc

    jc, Mar 13, 2011
  20. jc

    BillW50 Guest

    On 3/12/2011 9:14 PM, jc wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 06:45:19 -0600, BillW50<> wrote:
    >>> It's all turned out better than I expected, in that at least I can go back to
    >>> playing with Flight Simulator and my Realflight RC simulator. Hey, don't laugh,
    >>> it keeps me off the streets!

    >> I too use MSFS and RF G2, G3.5, G4, and G5.5. With all of the add-ons
    >> and Expansion Packs. I also have X-Plane 9 which eats up 60GB of disk space.

    > I do love the flight simulators as they're as close to airplanes as I'm allowed
    > to get these days. I worked at TWA and AA as an inspector and flew around in
    > Decathalons& Citabria's for a long time but I wrecked my back in 2004 and now,
    > because of the pain meds, I can't work around airplanes and even my simulator
    > time is limited. But I get in what I can. The updated drivers have made this
    > Dell work better than ever, which is a good thing, as this is very likely the
    > last computer I'll ever buy, short of some catastrophic failure of some kind...
    > like me getting ticked off and shooting holes in it! At least that scenario has
    > diminished some lately!
    >
    > I tried X planes but didn't really care that much for it. Falcon 4.0 was my #1
    > for a long time but more and more I find myself either flying FSX or the RC
    > sims. It's funny, for years I was stuck in a trailer and had no place to build
    > my RC planes... now I have a house and a place to build, but my flying field is
    > gone with no replacement in site - not to mention the cost had about driven me
    > out anyway (as it did flying full sized planes). Oh well, life... such as it
    > is!
    > Cheers,
    > jc

    I know what you mean jc. I was a private pilot back in the 70's and it
    got too expensive and I quit. My dad was involved into RC since the
    50's. I got into it about 10 years ago. One of the things I like about
    flight simulators is that I can try stuff I would never try in real
    life. lol

    --
    Bill
    Alienware M9700 - 1GB - Two Nvidia 7900GS running in SLI mode

    BillW50, Mar 13, 2011