Xtal choice for Pic16f88

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by pips4545@gmail.com, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi,
    Microchip's datasheet for the pic16f88 says:

    The PIC16F87/88 oscillator design requires the use of
    a parallel cut crystal. Use of a series cut crystal may
    give a frequency out of the crystal manufacturer's
    specifications.

    So I am choosing a 20MHz Xtal to use.
    The part I'm looking at is: RAKON -- CRYSTAL, 12SMX (B) 20 MHZ
    And the datasheet I have for it is here: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/90981.pdf

    I can't tell from the datasheet if this is parallel cut or series cut
    (and in fact I don't really know what these terms mean). Can anyone
    shed any light on this.

    Or alternatively recommend an alternative small SMD 20MHz Xtal with
    decent accuracy, suitable for pic16f88.

    Thanks in advance,
    Pip.

    1. Advertising

  2. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Microchip's datasheet for the pic16f88 says:
    >
    > The PIC16F87/88 oscillator design requires the use of
    > a parallel cut crystal. Use of a series cut crystal may
    > give a frequency out of the crystal manufacturer's
    > specifications.
    >
    > So I am choosing a 20MHz Xtal to use.
    > The part I'm looking at is: RAKON -- CRYSTAL, 12SMX (B) 20 MHZ
    > And the datasheet I have for it is here: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/90981.pdf
    >
    > I can't tell from the datasheet if this is parallel cut or series cut
    > (and in fact I don't really know what these terms mean). Can anyone
    > shed any light on this.
    >
    > Or alternatively recommend an alternative small SMD 20MHz Xtal with
    > decent accuracy, suitable for pic16f88.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Pip.

    If it specifies a load capacitance it's parallel cut -- and you need to
    load it correctly to get the frequency right.

    A series cut crystal is the same as a parallel cut crystal; the
    difference is just in the tuning, not the construction.

    --

    Tim Wescott
    Wescott Design Services