xw9300 & installation of debian lenny

Discussion in 'HP' started by amka, Aug 2, 2010.

  1. amka

    amka Guest

    Hi dear all,

    I have a problem. I bought a nice xw9300 an tried to install debian
    lenny, but...

    One of the first messages of the installation is

    Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
    Enable the IOMMU option in your BIOS

    But no IOMMU option in my bios, and
    putting "install iommu=memapper=3" at the boot prompt doesn't help...

    Can please someone help me ?

    Thanks,
    Amel

    1. Advertising

  2. Am 02.08.2010 19:54, * amka:

    > I have a problem. I bought a nice xw9300 an tried to install debian
    > lenny, but...
    >
    > One of the first messages of the installation is
    >
    > Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
    > Enable the IOMMU option in your BIOS

    Are you still using the non-HP BIOS which was never designed for your mobo?

    Put back the HP BIOS into the machine, update to the latest version that
    can be found on the HP website, and stick "acpi=off" in your boot parameter.

    If that doesn't help, have a look at itrc.hp.com (you might need to
    register for a free account) and search the support documents as there
    also should be some that cover Linux issues.

    Benjamin

    1. Advertising

  3. amka <> wrote:
    > Hi dear all,
    >
    > I have a problem. I bought a nice xw9300 an tried to install debian
    > lenny, but...
    >
    > One of the first messages of the installation is
    >
    > Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
    > Enable the IOMMU option in your BIOS
    >
    > But no IOMMU option in my bios, and
    > putting "install iommu=memapper=3" at the boot prompt doesn't help...
    >
    > Can please someone help me ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Amel

    yes, install a real operating system on that computer.

  4. amka

    amka Guest

    On 3 août, 06:32, Benjamin Gawert <> wrote:
    > Am 02.08.2010 19:54, * amka:
    >
    > > I have a problem. I bought a nice xw9300 an tried to install debian
    > > lenny, but...

    > > One of the first messages of the installation is

    > >     Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
    > >     Enable the IOMMU option in your BIOS

    > Are you still using the non-HP BIOS which was never designed for your mobo?

    No, I put th HP's and reseted it.

    > Put back the HP BIOS into the machine, update to the latest version that
    > can be found on the HP website, and stick "acpi=off" in your boot parameter.

    'acpi=off' works perfectly, thanks. No message about iommu more during
    the installation, but it comes again at the beginning of the boot.

    I have too 4x PCI errors,'Failed to allocate memory ressource #...
    for..' :

    0000:0a:00.0 lspci -> doesn't exist
    0001:40:02.0 lspci -> PCI Bridge: Advanced Micro Device [AMD]
    AMD-8131 PCI-X Bridge (rev 12)
    0001:61:06.0 lspci -> SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic...
    0001:61.06.1 lspci -> SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic...

    I dont understand. It works if it is on lspci or not ? Not sure, isn't
    it ?

    > If that doesn't help, have a look at itrc.hp.com (you might need to
    > register for a free account) and search the support documents as there
    > also should be some that cover Linux issues.
    >
    > Benjamin

    Thanks a lot,

    Amel

  5. On 10/08/2010 12:45, * amka:

    >> Are you still using the non-HP BIOS which was never designed for your mobo?

    > No, I put th HP's and reseted it.

    Good decision.

    >> Put back the HP BIOS into the machine, update to the latest version that
    >> can be found on the HP website, and stick "acpi=off" in your boot parameter.

    > 'acpi=off' works perfectly, thanks. No message about iommu more during
    > the installation, but it comes again at the beginning of the boot.
    >
    > I have too 4x PCI errors,'Failed to allocate memory ressource #...
    > for..' :
    >
    > 0000:0a:00.0 lspci -> doesn't exist
    > 0001:40:02.0 lspci -> PCI Bridge: Advanced Micro Device [AMD]
    > AMD-8131 PCI-X Bridge (rev 12)
    > 0001:61:06.0 lspci -> SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic...
    > 0001:61.06.1 lspci -> SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic...
    >
    > I dont understand. It works if it is on lspci or not ?

    It says it can't allocate memory for the controller, so it probably
    isn't working (correctly or at all). Do you actually use/need the SCSI
    controller? Is it enabled/disabled in the BIOS? Is the controller
    firmware on the latest revision?

    > Not sure, isn't
    > it ?

    Well, HP only supported Redhat Linux on the xw9300, and since the
    standard installers often had some issues with less widespread hardware
    they also came up with a Linux Installation Kit:

    <http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/537200-0-0-225-121.html>

    To be honest, I'm not sure if Debian is the best operating system for
    you as it is aimed at advanced users (no offense!). My recommendation
    would be to stick with a more user-friendly variant of Linux, like
    Fedora (which is basically Redhat) or Ubuntu (which is basically
    Debian). IIRC (I got rid of my xw9300 long ago) Ubuntu quite well on them.

    Ben