    at Best Buy and those sold directly from the mfg, which typically are
    prices several hundred dollars more?

    Or IOW, is retal stuff junk?

    chocolatemm, Dec 20, 2010

  2. chocolatemm

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ieoh0m$fvn$,
    chocolatemm typed on Mon, 20 Dec 2010 21:15:03 +0000 (UTC):
    > An old computer guru once told me you get what you pay for in
    > computers.
    >
    > So, if the specs are the same, whats the difference between laptops
    > bought at Best Buy and those sold directly from the mfg, which
    > typically are prices several hundred dollars more?
    >
    > Or IOW, is retal stuff junk?

    That old guru was partly right. As they usually discount older models a
    lot to move them out (this could be a good thing). And you can often get
    a pretty good deal. The trick is knowing what you are buying. But if you
    don't, here is some things to look for.

    1) Do a Internet search on the model you are looking at. It could be a
    lemon model that the manufacture sells to the stores at a discount and
    offers no warrantee. Although the store might have there own one. Which
    usually isn't a very good service more times than not.

    2) Might be refurbished, so check carefully. And refurbished generally
    only has a 90 day warrantee. For me this is a good deal since it is
    cheaper since it is refurbished and comes with little to no warrantee
    (which saves more money off in the price of the product). The reason why
    I don't care is because I am an electronic engineer and I do my own
    service work since I am far better than most computer techs anyway. And
    I work on mine either in or out of warrantee anyway

    And watch out for online stores like TigerDirect. While you can get some
    really nice deals at those places, they also sell lots of junk as well.
    For example I bought four HP desktops there about 9 years ago. And the
    inside didn't match the model number on the outside. Nor did the
    recovery disc match anything, the model number on the outside, nor what
    was in the inside. And while I was really pleased with HP before this,
    these were pieces of junk. You were lucky to run any OS without locking
    up sometime during the day. And they ran much slower than the specs
    suggested. And I found out later that neither HP or TigerDirect would
    honor any warrantees. So I stripped to for parts since they all needed
    new motherboards. And it was a terrible deal in the end.

    Later Dell and TigerDirect went to court for about the same sort of
    thing I got bit by. As they were selling Dells for really great prices,
    but Dell sold them to TigerDirect without any warrantees. Yet
    TigerDirect advertised them with Dell warrantees. And lots of customers
    were very upset to learn there was no warrantee at all. Dell was good
    about it later and honored the warrantees (unlike HP) and then sued
    TigerDirect.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    BillW50, Dec 20, 2010

  3. chocolatemm

    Yaletha

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    I didn't know that. It's really weird that they didn't mention this as an
    option when I called on the tech support line, don't you think? They almost
    tried to dissuade me from taking my laptop into the store.

    Yaletha, Dec 21, 2010