Thunder 2462 rebooting problem

Mark Morreau

Greefings all,

In brief, Cold Boot Good, Warm Boot Bad.

Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone?

The PC has been working fine for three+ years, and about a year on
present PSU, but has started behaving badly.
Lately the PC boots up fine from cold, but when I do a warm reboot most
of the time it doesn't reboot at all. The screen doesn't turn on, it
doesn't check the memory... Sometimes it gets as far as the point where
it should beep and go into the OS... but it just hangs there.
If I leave it for a while ( 5 - 10 minutes) and press the reset button
it will usually boot fine.
If I try and power down the system after a warm reboot by pushing and
holding the power button, it doesn't power the machine down but instead
has the same effect as pressing the reset button.
If I pull the plug and leave it for a minute or five, it will reboot
from cold.

It's really like the thing has to cool down before it restarts...
What could it be that's too hot to reboot?
And why has this issue kicked in now when it's been working fine for so
long?

I have checked (and cleaned!) the CPU heatsinks and fans. Reseated the
cards, changed the PSU, reseated the RAM.. what else?

Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone?

Cheers

Mark

Tyan Thunder K7 2 x Athlon MP2600+ 2.5GB ECC RAM Quadro 900XGL DVStorm2
Hercules Soundtheatre 4 x SCSI HDDs 2 X Pioneer DVD-R Adaptec 2904 SCSI
card for DLT drive TAGAN 480W PSU.

Jari Mokka

Hello
Try resetting the BIOS
I had same kind of a problem with my k7X thunder - atleast that helped me...

Jari

"Mark Morreau" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestissä:(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Greefings all,
>
> In brief, Cold Boot Good, Warm Boot Bad.
>
> Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone?
>
> The PC has been working fine for three+ years, and about a year on present
> PSU, but has started behaving badly.
> Lately the PC boots up fine from cold, but when I do a warm reboot most of
> the time it doesn't reboot at all. The screen doesn't turn on, it doesn't
> check the memory... Sometimes it gets as far as the point where it should
> beep and go into the OS... but it just hangs there.
> If I leave it for a while ( 5 - 10 minutes) and press the reset button it
> will usually boot fine.
> If I try and power down the system after a warm reboot by pushing and
> holding the power button, it doesn't power the machine down but instead
> has the same effect as pressing the reset button.
> If I pull the plug and leave it for a minute or five, it will reboot from
> cold.
>
> It's really like the thing has to cool down before it restarts...
> What could it be that's too hot to reboot?
> And why has this issue kicked in now when it's been working fine for so
> long?
>
> I have checked (and cleaned!) the CPU heatsinks and fans. Reseated the
> cards, changed the PSU, reseated the RAM.. what else?
>
> Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone?
>

> Cheers
>
> Mark
>
> Tyan Thunder K7 2 x Athlon MP2600+ 2.5GB ECC RAM Quadro 900XGL DVStorm2
> Hercules Soundtheatre 4 x SCSI HDDs 2 X Pioneer DVD-R Adaptec 2904 SCSI
> card for DLT drive TAGAN 480W PSU.

Scooby

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:48:04 +0100, Mark Morreau
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greefings all,
>
>In brief, Cold Boot Good, Warm Boot Bad.
>
>Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone?

Yes! I dread restarting now - any advice would be appreciated.

RS

Mark Morreau wrote:
> Greefings all,
>
> In brief, Cold Boot Good, Warm Boot Bad.
>
> Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone?
>
> The PC has been working fine for three+ years, and about a year on
> present PSU, but has started behaving badly.
> Lately the PC boots up fine from cold, but when I do a warm reboot most
> of the time it doesn't reboot at all. The screen doesn't turn on, it
> doesn't check the memory... Sometimes it gets as far as the point where
> it should beep and go into the OS... but it just hangs there.
> If I leave it for a while ( 5 - 10 minutes) and press the reset button
> it will usually boot fine.
> If I try and power down the system after a warm reboot by pushing and
> holding the power button, it doesn't power the machine down but instead
> has the same effect as pressing the reset button.
> If I pull the plug and leave it for a minute or five, it will reboot
> from cold.
>
> It's really like the thing has to cool down before it restarts...
> What could it be that's too hot to reboot?
> And why has this issue kicked in now when it's been working fine for so
> long?
>
> I have checked (and cleaned!) the CPU heatsinks and fans. Reseated the
> cards, changed the PSU, reseated the RAM.. what else?
>
> Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone?
>

> Cheers
>
> Mark
>
> Tyan Thunder K7 2 x Athlon MP2600+ 2.5GB ECC RAM Quadro 900XGL DVStorm2
> Hercules Soundtheatre 4 x SCSI HDDs 2 X Pioneer DVD-R Adaptec 2904 SCSI
> card for DLT drive TAGAN 480W PSU.

I used to have that happen with my 2462. Then, as if by magic, one day
it quit doing it. Every once in a blue moon I will also have one
processor just disappear. Resetting the bios fixes that.

Paul Murphy

"Mark Morreau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Greefings all,
>
> In brief, Cold Boot Good, Warm Boot Bad.
>
> Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone?
>
> The PC has been working fine for three+ years, and about a year on present
> PSU, but has started behaving badly.
> Lately the PC boots up fine from cold, but when I do a warm reboot most of
> the time it doesn't reboot at all. The screen doesn't turn on, it doesn't
> check the memory... Sometimes it gets as far as the point where it should
> beep and go into the OS... but it just hangs there.
> If I leave it for a while ( 5 - 10 minutes) and press the reset button it
> will usually boot fine.
> If I try and power down the system after a warm reboot by pushing and
> holding the power button, it doesn't power the machine down but instead
> has the same effect as pressing the reset button.
> If I pull the plug and leave it for a minute or five, it will reboot from
> cold.
>
> It's really like the thing has to cool down before it restarts...
> What could it be that's too hot to reboot?
> And why has this issue kicked in now when it's been working fine for so
> long?
>
> I have checked (and cleaned!) the CPU heatsinks and fans. Reseated the
> cards, changed the PSU, reseated the RAM.. what else?
>
> Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone?
>

> Cheers
>
> Mark
>
> Tyan Thunder K7 2 x Athlon MP2600+ 2.5GB ECC RAM Quadro 900XGL DVStorm2
> Hercules Soundtheatre 4 x SCSI HDDs 2 X Pioneer DVD-R Adaptec 2904 SCSI
> card for DLT drive TAGAN 480W PSU.

The Tagan 480 Watt PSU is suspect no 1 - change it and I'll bet the problem
will go away. I have one in my S2460 equipped machine and I just shut down
and then restart if the machine is hot because I know I'll get the "stalled"
reboot otherwise. I'm on Tagan PSU no 2 now after the first one blew up - it
was also behaving the same before it went bang, yet my Enhance brand PSU
before that had no such stalling problem. Let us know what Tagan or
distibutor (Nanopoint?) have to say about this, especially when you mention
its being used with a Tyan SMP motherboard.

Paul

Tyan Thunder 2462 rebooting problem Mark Morreau Tyan 3 08-29-2005 11:34 AM
drivers for thunder 2462 Ken Tyan 0 05-18-2004 03:05 PM
Anyone using 3200+XP with 2462 Thunder K7? Blaedmon Tyan 0 01-15-2004 07:58 PM
Thunder K7 2462 max hard drive size Gary Neff Tyan 1 09-20-2003 01:22 AM
Help no video 2462 Tyan 2 08-29-2003 10:47 AM