Thunder K8W (S2885): Onboard Serial ATA (SATA) shows [N/A]

tgauch@gmail.com

I have had a system with this motherboard for quite a while, but a few
months ago noticed that my SATA drives had disappeared.

Probably happened either when I upgraded the BIOS or installed USB 2.0
card, or both.

I upgraded to latest BIOS again now.

Still, the Advanced Options screen in BIOS says "Onboard Serial ATA -
[N/A]".

Does this mean my SATA onboard is dead?

....Terry.
(E-Mail Removed)

Pete T.

Do you have any SATA drives connected to the system? If you don't, well,
enough said...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have had a system with this motherboard for quite a while, but a few
> months ago noticed that my SATA drives had disappeared.
>
> Probably happened either when I upgraded the BIOS or installed USB 2.0
> card, or both.
>
> I upgraded to latest BIOS again now.
>
> Still, the Advanced Options screen in BIOS says "Onboard Serial ATA -
> [N/A]".
>
> Does this mean my SATA onboard is dead?
>
> ...Terry.
> (E-Mail Removed)

tgauch@gmail.com

Yup... 4 drives connected. Same "N/A" even if disconnected or
connected. Drives and RAID all working a few months ago...

Pete T. wrote:
> Do you have any SATA drives connected to the system? If you don't, well,
> enough said...
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >I have had a system with this motherboard for quite a while, but a few
> > months ago noticed that my SATA drives had disappeared.
> >
> > Probably happened either when I upgraded the BIOS or installed USB 2.0
> > card, or both.
> >
> > I upgraded to latest BIOS again now.
> >
> > Still, the Advanced Options screen in BIOS says "Onboard Serial ATA -
> > [N/A]".
> >
> > Does this mean my SATA onboard is dead?
> >
> > ...Terry.
> > (E-Mail Removed)

Pete T.

Try re-installing the SATA drivers, if you already have, I'd send an email
to Tyan tech support. They are pretty good about helping out.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Yup... 4 drives connected. Same "N/A" even if disconnected or
> connected. Drives and RAID all working a few months ago...
>

> Pete T. wrote:
>> Do you have any SATA drives connected to the system? If you don't, well,
>> enough said...
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> >I have had a system with this motherboard for quite a while, but a few
>> > months ago noticed that my SATA drives had disappeared.
>> >
>> > Probably happened either when I upgraded the BIOS or installed USB 2.0
>> > card, or both.
>> >
>> > I upgraded to latest BIOS again now.
>> >
>> > Still, the Advanced Options screen in BIOS says "Onboard Serial ATA -
>> > [N/A]".
>> >
>> > Does this mean my SATA onboard is dead?
>> >
>> > ...Terry.
>> > (E-Mail Removed)

vinci

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 01:29:49 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have had a system with this motherboard for quite a while, but a few
> months ago noticed that my SATA drives had disappeared.

Happened to me, too. You may need to re-install the drivers.

I believe you have to insert the driver into the floppy when booting from
the XP CD. As soon as the computer boots from the CD and the screen turns
blue, quickly press F6 (to specify that you have an additional driver) and
XP will tell you when to insert the floppy.

If you already installed XP, boot the computer as if new install press F6
to add the driver, and when you get to the Install or Reapair option in
the installation process, press REPAIR and I believe that should take care
of it.

If you install Raid 0 (I wouldn't) you need the RAID driver which you
install the same way as the other drivers when booting from the XP CD.

--
Rock on!!!
http://www.myspace.com/whistlertime