Thunderbird 1.1Ghz crashes

Chase

Hello,

I am experiencing frequent crashes with my system. I have not yet
been able to find the problem. At first it was just a few random
crashes in graphics intensive eviroments, but now it is all the time
at random times. I ran memtest on the memory, didn't find anything.
I also used prime95 (?) to test the cpu...both came out fine. Still
the random crashes though. So I underclocked the memory, and reduced
everything to defaults and it hasn't changed anything.

Before the problem started, it would randomly not post but give a long
beep. A simple reset and everything was fine. I thought that might be
b/c power wasn't getting to the vid card, but all the rails are fine
everything is just a bit over (well within 5% tolerance). Another
curious note...my vcore is at 1.83v even though its set to the
standard 1.75 ??? I will be building again from scratch pretty soon
but until then any ideas???

Abit kt7-raid
Amd Athlon t-bird 1.1 Ghz
2 256mb crucial 133mhz sdram cl=2
nvidia geforce gts/pro 64mb ddr
creative soundblaster x-gamer 5.1
40Gb maxtor ulra ata100
80Gb maxtor ultra ata100

Wes Newell

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:01:14 -0700, Chase wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am experiencing frequent crashes with my system. I have not yet
> been able to find the problem. At first it was just a few random
> crashes in graphics intensive eviroments, but now it is all the time
> at random times. I ran memtest on the memory, didn't find anything.
> I also used prime95 (?) to test the cpu...both came out fine. Still
> the random crashes though. So I underclocked the memory, and reduced
> everything to defaults and it hasn't changed anything.
>
> Before the problem started, it would randomly not post but give a long
> beep. A simple reset and everything was fine. I thought that might be
> b/c power wasn't getting to the vid card, but all the rails are fine
> everything is just a bit over (well within 5% tolerance). Another
> curious note...my vcore is at 1.83v even though its set to the
> standard 1.75 ??? I will be building again from scratch pretty soon
> but until then any ideas???
>
> Abit kt7-raid
> Amd Athlon t-bird 1.1 Ghz
> 2 256mb crucial 133mhz sdram cl=2
> nvidia geforce gts/pro 64mb ddr
> creative soundblaster x-gamer 5.1
> 40Gb maxtor ulra ata100
> 80Gb maxtor ultra ata100

This sounds like the classic power problem caused by defective caps on the
board. Inspect the caps for bulging or leaking, especially around the CPU
and video card. IF that's the problem, it's not worth fixing IMO unless
you can do it yourself. Of course this could be a software problem too.

Chase

Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.10.20.06.27.04.675163@TAKEOUTverizo n.net>...
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:01:14 -0700, Chase wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am experiencing frequent crashes with my system. I have not yet
> > been able to find the problem. At first it was just a few random
> > crashes in graphics intensive eviroments, but now it is all the time
> > at random times. I ran memtest on the memory, didn't find anything.
> > I also used prime95 (?) to test the cpu...both came out fine. Still
> > the random crashes though. So I underclocked the memory, and reduced
> > everything to defaults and it hasn't changed anything.
> >
> > Before the problem started, it would randomly not post but give a long
> > beep. A simple reset and everything was fine. I thought that might be
> > b/c power wasn't getting to the vid card, but all the rails are fine
> > everything is just a bit over (well within 5% tolerance). Another
> > curious note...my vcore is at 1.83v even though its set to the
> > standard 1.75 ??? I will be building again from scratch pretty soon
> > but until then any ideas???
> >
> > Abit kt7-raid
> > Amd Athlon t-bird 1.1 Ghz
> > 2 256mb crucial 133mhz sdram cl=2
> > nvidia geforce gts/pro 64mb ddr
> > creative soundblaster x-gamer 5.1
> > 40Gb maxtor ulra ata100
> > 80Gb maxtor ultra ata100

> This sounds like the classic power problem caused by defective caps on the
> board. Inspect the caps for bulging or leaking, especially around the CPU
> and video card. IF that's the problem, it's not worth fixing IMO unless
> you can do it yourself. Of course this could be a software problem too.

Yes!! that is what I thought. I thought it very suspicious that a cap
right next to the memory was leaky but then the problem went away. You
are probably right, then. Thank you for your help...it just cemented
in my mind that that is most likely the problem. I will probably not
fix it, because, like you said, it isn't worth it but its nice to know
whats wrong with it. Thank you once again

Chase

Chase

(E-Mail Removed) (Chase) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.10.20.06.27.04.675163@TAKEOUTverizo n.net>...
> > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:01:14 -0700, Chase wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am experiencing frequent crashes with my system. I have not yet
> > > been able to find the problem. At first it was just a few random
> > > crashes in graphics intensive eviroments, but now it is all the time
> > > at random times. I ran memtest on the memory, didn't find anything.
> > > I also used prime95 (?) to test the cpu...both came out fine. Still
> > > the random crashes though. So I underclocked the memory, and reduced
> > > everything to defaults and it hasn't changed anything.
> > >
> > > Before the problem started, it would randomly not post but give a long
> > > beep. A simple reset and everything was fine. I thought that might be
> > > b/c power wasn't getting to the vid card, but all the rails are fine
> > > everything is just a bit over (well within 5% tolerance). Another
> > > curious note...my vcore is at 1.83v even though its set to the
> > > standard 1.75 ??? I will be building again from scratch pretty soon
> > > but until then any ideas???
> > >
> > > Abit kt7-raid
> > > Amd Athlon t-bird 1.1 Ghz
> > > 2 256mb crucial 133mhz sdram cl=2
> > > nvidia geforce gts/pro 64mb ddr
> > > creative soundblaster x-gamer 5.1
> > > 40Gb maxtor ulra ata100
> > > 80Gb maxtor ultra ata100

> > This sounds like the classic power problem caused by defective caps on the
> > board. Inspect the caps for bulging or leaking, especially around the CPU
> > and video card. IF that's the problem, it's not worth fixing IMO unless
> > you can do it yourself. Of course this could be a software problem too.

> Yes!! that is what I thought. I thought it very suspicious that a cap
> right next to the memory was leaky but then the problem went away. You
> are probably right, then. Thank you for your help...it just cemented
> in my mind that that is most likely the problem. I will probably not
> fix it, because, like you said, it isn't worth it but its nice to know
> whats wrong with it. Thank you once again
>
> Chase

Well guys...

New information to stir the pot. Ok, I thought it was the capictor
and so I figured that was the fix. But, I did think that the core
voltage was a bit high for having it set down to 1.75 (it was up at
1.85, 1.75 is default for the processor). I checked abit's site and
they said that the bios reading will vary up to .04 volts upwards or
downwards. Being as though I was at a .1 volt difference that worried
me. I went back into the bios and set everything at the minimum and
set the voltage down to 1.675 (I have a via kt133). Now I have a
vcore of 1.76 and it actually loads into windows. I went back and
slowly, by trial and error, set everything back to the optimized
settings I found ages ago when I built it. Everything will go but one
setting -- the md driving strength setting (it is the connection
between the memory and the northbridge if I'm not mistaken). It is
supposed to run at high but it will not go from low to high. As soon
as I do that as soon as windows load the blue screen flashes and it
restarts (same old, same old). Otherwise everything works great,
although, I haven't tried a game yet. I tried prime95 again and it
ran fine. I have yet to due another memtest.

So...what is going on with that md driving strength setting? and why
is my vcore so high? as well, does my power supply need replacement?

voltages:
(+3.3: 3.45. +5: 5.08, +12: 12.13) --as you can see just within 5%
tolerance.

rstlne

> Well guys...
>
> New information to stir the pot. Ok, I thought it was the capictor
> and so I figured that was the fix. But, I did think that the core
> voltage was a bit high for having it set down to 1.75 (it was up at
> 1.85, 1.75 is default for the processor).

If the cap is leaking then please dont use the board..
With bad caps you could end up cooking the psu, cpu, or ram, or cards that
go into the mobo ..
Leaking caps = go get them replaced.. Any electronics repair shop should be
willing to do this (as long as the cap values are on the board) .. and It
might cost you 10-15$ for every one of those caps that might be faulty.