Time Machine Advice

George Kerby

I have held out long enough before adapting my 24" iMac to Lion.

My question to the group is: What happens in Time Machine when I make the
transition?

Would you suggest continuing with the same HD and jus note the date of
transition, or would you put the Snow Leopard TM drive in 'mothballs' for
any possible future retrieval, if that would be possible?

Concerning the second choice above - how would the new 10.7 OS deal with the
retrieval, does it maintain the index of 10.6.8?

Sorry if this seems really basic and maybe I'm not "seeing the forest for
the trees" try of situation.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle Steiner

In article <CBC571F2.868C6%(E-Mail Removed)>,
George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have held out long enough before adapting my 24" iMac to Lion.
>
> My question to the group is: What happens in Time Machine when I make
> the transition?

Nothing. Just keep using it.

-- Michelle

PS It will selectively remove all your saved stuff from FOX News, though.
<chortle>

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Bill

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <CBC571F2.868C6%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have held out long enough before adapting my 24" iMac to Lion.
> >
> > My question to the group is: What happens in Time Machine when I make
> > the transition?

> Nothing. Just keep using it.
>
> -- Michelle
>
> PS It will selectively remove all your saved stuff from FOX News, though.
> <chortle>

With 10.7, you have the option of using FileVault to do full-disk
encryption, which plays nice with Time Machine. File Vault in 10.6 and
earlier did not play nice with Time Machine, but it plays very well in
10.7. You also have the option of encrypting the Time Machine backup
disk in 10.7.

These new capabilities were the main reason I went to 10.7 soon after it
came out.

However, if you go that route, you will not be able to use your current
backup disk as is, but will have to re-format it.

If you don't need encryption to protect your data, then just go ahead
and use the existing backup disk as-is.

George Kerby

On 5/1/12 4:29 PM, in article
bbcollins-0B35F8.17294101052012@70-3...ls.spcsdns.net, "Bill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <CBC571F2.868C6%(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have held out long enough before adapting my 24" iMac to Lion.
>>>
>>> My question to the group is: What happens in Time Machine when I make
>>> the transition?

>> Nothing. Just keep using it.
>>
>> -- Michelle
>>
>> PS It will selectively remove all your saved stuff from FOX News, though.
>> <chortle>

> With 10.7, you have the option of using FileVault to do full-disk
> encryption, which plays nice with Time Machine. File Vault in 10.6 and
> earlier did not play nice with Time Machine, but it plays very well in
> 10.7. You also have the option of encrypting the Time Machine backup
> disk in 10.7.
>
> These new capabilities were the main reason I went to 10.7 soon after it
> came out.
>
> However, if you go that route, you will not be able to use your current
> backup disk as is, but will have to re-format it.
>
> If you don't need encryption to protect your data, then just go ahead
> and use the existing backup disk as-is.

Thanks Michelle and Bill!

BTW: I attached a Trojan to this that will remove anything associated with
Bill Maher and Keith Olbermann from your hard drive and replace it with
Glenn Beck, Michelle. Be careful, you may come over from the "Dark Side"...

Michelle Steiner

In article <CBC80C82.86A33%(E-Mail Removed)>,
George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> BTW: I attached a Trojan

As a lesbian, I reject all Trojans as a matter of principle; I don't care
for what they are attached to.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

George Kerby

On 5/3/12 10:37 AM, in article
michelle-DF9C2F.08374103052012@news....-september.org, "Michelle
Steiner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <CBC80C82.86A33%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> BTW: I attached a Trojan

> As a lesbian, I reject all Trojans as a matter of principle; I don't care
> for what they are attached to.

BFG!!!

"Give the lady a cigar! We have a wiener!!!"

OK - I'll quit now...

George Kerby

On 5/3/12 11:07 AM, in article CBC81777.86A3C%(E-Mail Removed),
"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 5/3/12 10:37 AM, in article
> michelle-DF9C2F.08374103052012@news....-september.org, "Michelle
> Steiner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <CBC80C82.86A33%(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> BTW: I attached a Trojan

>> As a lesbian, I reject all Trojans as a matter of principle; I don't care
>> for what they are attached to.

> BFG!!!
>
> "Give the lady a cigar! We have a wiener!!!"
>
> OK - I'll quit now...

OK, I lied...

It seems that some other folks don't like Fox News as well:

<http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/...n-laden-compou
nd-fox-154510302.html>

Michelle Steiner

In article <CBC842BC.86A50%(E-Mail Removed)>,
George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, I lied...
>
> It seems that some other folks don't like Fox News as well:
>
> <http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/...-bin-laden-com
> pound-fox-154510302.html>

Hmm, it says that Al Qaida doesn't like Obama and wanted to kill him. Does
that mean that al Qaida is aligned with the GOP?

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

George Kerby

On 5/3/12 6:34 PM, in article
michelle-080529.16343003052012@news....-september.org, "Michelle
Steiner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <CBC842BC.86A50%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> OK, I lied...
>>
>> It seems that some other folks don't like Fox News as well:
>>
>> <http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/...-bin-laden-com
>> pound-fox-154510302.html>

> Hmm, it says that Al Qaida doesn't like Obama and wanted to kill him. Does
> that mean that al Qaida is aligned with the GOP?

It means that they want Joe Biteme to be Pres because he is an absolute
idiot and they can do bad **** to us.

Observe...

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmRXH7RkCZQ>

THAT is the second in line to being the POTUS.

Deal with it.

See you in November...

Wes Groleau

On 05-03-2012 21:06, Jolly Roger wrote:
> George Kerby<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> It means that they want Joe Biteme to be Pres because he is an absolute
>> idiot and they can do bad **** to us.
>>
>> Observe...
>>
>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmRXH7RkCZQ>
>>
>> THAT is the second in line to being the POTUS.

> I see. In your world, someone who sings a goofy song on camera - a
> description a whole lot of normal, good Americans might fit quite easily
> - is an absolute idiot who can do bad **** to us and is therefore not
> fit to be vice president. Duly noted.

Bipartisan retort:

I went to <http://politifact.com> which rates statements one of six
levels from "true" to "pants on fire"

Of course, they might be biased, but for what it's worth, back when
there were still five Republican candidates, I compared the counts
for the good and bad for all five, plus Obama and Biden. Judging by
those proportions alone, the most truthful of those seven were Ron Paul
and Barack Obama (but Romney was a very close third.

The two least truthful were Joe Biden and Newt Gingrich.

Again, that's merely based on that website's ratings, some of which I
disagreed with. (As in, at least one rated "pants on fire" I would have
called "mostly false.")

--
Wes Groleau

“Grant me the serenity to accept those I cannot change;
the courage to change the one I can;
and the wisdom to know it's me.”
— unknown