Motherboard Forums

Toasted motherboard on Pavilion a1110n?

11-03-2009, 02:05 PM
The symptom is right in the middle of normal operations, the system suddenly shuts down as if there was a power failure. It might then be awhile before I could restart it as it would simply hang in the BIOS splash screen it I restarted it right away. I had been thinking it might be a flaky power supply so I replaced it with one from another system. Same thing.

I also saw this same behavior when booting a DVD! This tells me the disks weren't even involved and so could be the problem. If I touch the heat sink on the CPU it's very hot, though this isn't very scientific and I have no idea if this is normal or not. It was certainly too hot to hold my finger against it for anything more than a few msecs - but maybe I have a low heat threshold.

Could it be the CPU? Clearly I don't want to invest too much time into solving this.

The sad thing is I really liked the system when it was working and thought if I could even find a cheap replacement board/cpu for about $100 it might be a useful thing to do to get a spare working machine. Any recommendations? I think the key would be finding something that I could pop my existing memory in. The specs say the CPU has a 533MHz frontside bus so would I simply look for existing combos that have that listed? I realize memory is pretty cheap but I really don't want this to turn into a big deal either.

-mark