Tomcat S2866 - cannot boot

Peter

I have just put together a new system with the Tyan S2866 A2NRF and AMD
opteron. When applying power I get one long beep and two very short
beeps. The manual states that this is a video problem. That may be.
I am temporarily using an old Diamond Monster PCI (circa 1997) card.
Can this old card be the source of my problem? Any other suggestions?

Peter

BC

Peter wrote:
> I have just put together a new system with the Tyan S2866 A2NRF and AMD
> opteron. When applying power I get one long beep and two very short
> beeps. The manual states that this is a video problem. That may be.
> I am temporarily using an old Diamond Monster PCI (circa 1997) card.
> Can this old card be the source of my problem? Any other suggestions?
>
> Peter

Dear Peter,

looks like that card was getting long in the tooth back in 1998:

http://www.dansdata.com/M3D2.htm

Could be that it would work, though, I suppose: did you go into the
BIOS under

PNP/PCI configuration, first option is

"Init Display First"

choices on my 2865 are PCI express/PCI slot; however, mine has the
built in ATI Rage XL graphics, and that PCI slot option activates
that--not sure if you will have same option.

Here is a list of graphics cards that Tyan says will work with your
board, and the corresponding drivers:

http://www.tyan.com/support/html/video_s2866.html#s2866

Here is a list of PCIex16 graphics cards at Newegg, starting with the
cheapest:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Subcategory=48

If you are just using your board as a server, one of these for about $40
may be helpful--might be more cost effective than trying to raise the
1998 card from the dead.

HTH,

BC

Peter

BC wrote:
> Peter wrote:
> > I have just put together a new system with the Tyan S2866 A2NRF and AMD
> > opteron. When applying power I get one long beep and two very short
> > beeps. The manual states that this is a video problem. That may be.
> > I am temporarily using an old Diamond Monster PCI (circa 1997) card.
> > Can this old card be the source of my problem? Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Peter

> Dear Peter,
>
> looks like that card was getting long in the tooth back in 1998:
>
> http://www.dansdata.com/M3D2.htm
>
> Could be that it would work, though, I suppose: did you go into the
> BIOS under
>
> PNP/PCI configuration,

I do not even get to the BIOS!

BC

Peter wrote:

> I do not even get to the BIOS!

Dear Peter,

Since you have the A2NRF model with SLI and no on board graphics, not
the G3NR (on board, no SLI), I would guess that the Tyan designers
assumed the board would be used with at least one, and probably two PCIe
cards--hence not a lot of concern about supporting PCI graphics cards.

It *could* be that if you install a PCIe graphics card and get into the
BIOS, you might have that PCIe/PCI graphics option available--but,
depending on what OS you are using, might be best to get a newer
inexpensive graphics card with good driver support, etc.

HTH,

BC