Toughbook function key problem

steamer

--Have a Panasonic Toughbook 52; less than a month on and suddenly
the function key is working in reverse, i.e. as if it's always held down!
Pressing on it now results in what would normally happen were it not
pressed. Is there a way to toggle it back to *normal* 'normal'?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Don't forget to spay and
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : neuter your politicians...

BillW50

In news:47d2f090$0$36393$(E-Mail Removed),
steamer typed on 08 Mar 2008 20:01:20 GMT:
> --Have a Panasonic Toughbook 52; less than a month on and suddenly
> the function key is working in reverse, i.e. as if it's always held
> down! Pressing on it now results in what would normally happen were
> it not pressed. Is there a way to toggle it back to *normal* 'normal'?

Yes most likely there is a function key which toggles it. My old Toshiba
2595XDVD laptops ('99 era) you have to press the Fn and one of the
F-keys to toggle it. My Gateway MX6124 laptops ('06 era) doesn't have
this ability.

--
Bill

Quaoar

steamer wrote:
> --Have a Panasonic Toughbook 52; less than a month on and suddenly
> the function key is working in reverse, i.e. as if it's always held down!
> Pressing on it now results in what would normally happen were it not
> pressed. Is there a way to toggle it back to *normal* 'normal'?

What Bill said, but in addition, in some BIOSes, holding the function
key down for an extended period toggles the Fn key to always on/always off.

steamer

Quaoar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>What Bill said, but in addition, in some BIOSes, holding the function
>key down for an extended period toggles the Fn key to always on/always off.

--Thanks, gang; tried this latter trick but it didn't work. What
*did* work was pressing the "numloc" key. Dunno how it got pressed in the
first place as it's out of the way and one I'd never use. I'm thinking
Chairman Meow must have given the keyboard a one-over and hit the key.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Don't forget to spay and
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : neuter your politicians...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

BillW50

In news:47d424b4$0$36334$(E-Mail Removed),
steamer typed on 09 Mar 2008 17:56:04 GMT:
> Quaoar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What Bill said, but in addition, in some BIOSes, holding the function
>> key down for an extended period toggles the Fn key to always
>> on/always off.

> --Thanks, gang; tried this latter trick but it didn't work. What
> *did* work was pressing the "numloc" key. Dunno how it got pressed in
> the first place as it's out of the way and one I'd never use. I'm
> thinking Chairman Meow must have given the keyboard a one-over and
> hit the key.

Oh I do that all of the time. Because I use my laptop hooked up to
external devices like a keyboard, mouse, and monitor when I park it at
my desk. Although you should have a LED showing the Num/Lock on, no?

--
Bill

Quaoar

steamer wrote:
> Quaoar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What Bill said, but in addition, in some BIOSes, holding the function
>> key down for an extended period toggles the Fn key to always on/always off.

> --Thanks, gang; tried this latter trick but it didn't work. What
> *did* work was pressing the "numloc" key. Dunno how it got pressed in the
> first place as it's out of the way and one I'd never use. I'm thinking
> Chairman Meow must have given the keyboard a one-over and hit the key.

Heh! ...Chairman Meow!... I have three of these and the numlock/caplock
get "managed".

steamer

BillW50 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>my desk. Although you should have a LED showing the Num/Lock on, no?

--Yeah there are *5* 'idiot lights' in a row, all marked poorly and
with black-on-black; i.e. impossible to differentiate one from the other,
heh.