TP 390E - tweak / upgrade...

rdlebreton

Hello,

I am looking to get as much horsepower as I can out of my ThinkPad
390E. I purchased this as a refurbished laptop. Before I get started
here are the stats:

- P-II 300MHz
- 30GB hard drive (upgraded from 4GB)
- 192MB of RAM (upgraded from 64MB)
- 3.5" floppy (built-in)
- CD-ROM (built-in)
- and all the rest of the standard features.

Basically, I would like to upgrade / tweak the CPU to get as much
speed out of it as I can. What are the higher/est end CPU's for a
390E? Is there any way to tweak the clock speed or 'overclock' it?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

TIA

P.S. I know these kinds of open-ended posts are annoying and hard to
answer but I need a starting point. And I don't want to seek the
advice of a pushy salesman!

og

Win XP pro will run great in the 390e. I think you can upgrade the
cpu up to PII 400MHZ, but they are hard to find. You will have better
luck with a PII 366. I tried to upgrade the cd to a combo drive, but
winXp did not see it.

(E-Mail Removed) (rdlebreton) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hello,
>
> I am looking to get as much horsepower as I can out of my ThinkPad
> 390E. I purchased this as a refurbished laptop. Before I get started
> here are the stats:
>
> - P-II 300MHz
> - 30GB hard drive (upgraded from 4GB)
> - 192MB of RAM (upgraded from 64MB)
> - 3.5" floppy (built-in)
> - CD-ROM (built-in)
> - and all the rest of the standard features.
>
> Basically, I would like to upgrade / tweak the CPU to get as much
> speed out of it as I can. What are the higher/est end CPU's for a
> 390E? Is there any way to tweak the clock speed or 'overclock' it?
>
> Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
>
> TIA
>
> P.S. I know these kinds of open-ended posts are annoying and hard to
> answer but I need a starting point. And I don't want to seek the
> advice of a pushy salesman!

JHEM

rdlebreton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am looking to get as much horsepower as I can out of my ThinkPad
> 390E. I purchased this as a refurbished laptop. Before I get started
> here are the stats:
>
> - P-II 300MHz

Max upgrade is a PII 400Mhz MMC2 module.

> - 30GB hard drive (upgraded from 4GB)

Will take any size HD up to and including the new 80GB.

> - 192MB of RAM (upgraded from 64MB)

Max RAM is 512MB. Many have reported that any memory that will work in a
600X or early T series will also work in the 390 series.

> - 3.5" floppy (built-in)

Removable, but no upgrade available.

> - CD-ROM (built-in)

Replaceable with an integrated Floppy/DVD.

> Basically, I would like to upgrade / tweak the CPU to get as much
> speed out of it as I can. What are the higher/est end CPU's for a
> 390E? Is there any way to tweak the clock speed or 'overclock' it?

There's no way to "over-clock" a laptop.

Regards,

James