Trying to Get More Out of Oblivion

Craig Coope

Is a ATI Radeon X1950 PRO much better than my 9800XT?

I want to crank up the settings more and get HDR...

I already have A64 3400+ 1Gig RAM

I only have AGP which is why I can't go for much more...

--
The Zero ST

Julian Richards

On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:00:11 +0100, Craig Coope
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is a ATI Radeon X1950 PRO much better than my 9800XT?

Oh yes. I've gone that route and it is one hell of a jump.
--

Julian Richards

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

First of One

Oblivion scales almost linearly with higher-end video cards.

There's an X1950XT AGP if you have the room for it (takes three slots):

"Craig Coope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is a ATI Radeon X1950 PRO much better than my 9800XT?
>
> I want to crank up the settings more and get HDR...
>
> I already have A64 3400+ 1Gig RAM
>
> I only have AGP which is why I can't go for much more...
>
> --
> The Zero ST

Craig Coope

On Sun, 20 May 2007 11:47:54 -0400, "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>Oblivion scales almost linearly with higher-end video cards.
>
>There's an X1950XT AGP if you have the room for it (takes three slots):
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814241049

Holy Sh*t!

--

wrote:

>Oblivion scales almost linearly with higher-end video cards.
>
>There's an X1950XT AGP if you have the room for it (takes three slots):
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814241049

Now that I have got my breath back...

3 slots?

I take it you mean 1 AGP and the 2 PCI below it?

--
The Zero ST

First of One

Yes, 1 AGP and the 2 PCI below it. The cooler seems to be borrowed from a
Sparkle Caliber 8800GTX, as evidenced by the nVidia "eye" pattern on the
shroud. It has a Peltier element that adds bulk and power draw (about 160W,
up from 120W of a standard X1900XTX). Fortunately the card's performance
makes up for all the impracticalities. Of course the cooler can be replaced
with a more efficient Zalman or Arctic-Cooling unit.

"Craig Coope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 20 May 2007 11:47:54 -0400, "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1>
> wrote:
>
>>Oblivion scales almost linearly with higher-end video cards.
>>
>>There's an X1950XT AGP if you have the room for it (takes three slots):
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814241049

> Now that I have got my breath back...
>
> 3 slots?
>
> I take it you mean 1 AGP and the 2 PCI below it?
>
> --
> The Zero ST

Craig Coope

On Sun, 20 May 2007 16:56:48 -0400, "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>Yes, 1 AGP and the 2 PCI below it. The cooler seems to be borrowed from a
>Sparkle Caliber 8800GTX, as evidenced by the nVidia "eye" pattern on the
>shroud. It has a Peltier element that adds bulk and power draw (about 160W,
>up from 120W of a standard X1900XTX). Fortunately the card's performance
>makes up for all the impracticalities. Of course the cooler can be replaced
>with a more efficient Zalman or Arctic-Cooling unit.

Looks like a very nice card and I have the slots available if I unplug
the gamerpad port from my soundcard...I am just worried about the heat
though as 1 of the reviews on that page says something about the stock
sink not being good enough....

Also looks like I'll need a better PSU!

--
The Zero ST

First of One

Wow, you still use the sound card's game port...

Jokes aside, someone in the HardOCP forums didn't plug in the Peltier,
resulting in a significant temperature increase. This wasn't just
forgetfulness - Gecube's installation instructions aren't the greatest. The
comments you see on Newegg may reflect the same issue, because the reports
seem distinctly "bi-modal", with some users getting very high temps, while
others getting low temps.

A 400W brand-name (PCP&C, Enermax, Antec) PSU can handle the card without
problems. Of course, the other solution is to use a different cooler like
the Zalman VF900. You get both better cooling and ~25% lower power draw,
which may be enough of a margin to avoid needing a PSU upgrade

"Craig Coope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 20 May 2007 16:56:48 -0400, "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1>
> wrote:
>
>>Yes, 1 AGP and the 2 PCI below it. The cooler seems to be borrowed from a
>>Sparkle Caliber 8800GTX, as evidenced by the nVidia "eye" pattern on the
>>shroud. It has a Peltier element that adds bulk and power draw (about
>>160W,
>>up from 120W of a standard X1900XTX). Fortunately the card's performance
>>makes up for all the impracticalities. Of course the cooler can be
>>replaced
>>with a more efficient Zalman or Arctic-Cooling unit.

> Looks like a very nice card and I have the slots available if I unplug
> the gamerpad port from my soundcard...I am just worried about the heat
> though as 1 of the reviews on that page says something about the stock
> sink not being good enough....
>
> Also looks like I'll need a better PSU!
>
> --
> The Zero ST

Craig Coope

On Sun, 20 May 2007 20:06:45 -0400, "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>Wow, you still use the sound card's game port...

Hehe...I did not too long ago so that I could play 2 player on WinUAE!

>Jokes aside, someone in the HardOCP forums didn't plug in the Peltier,
>resulting in a significant temperature increase. This wasn't just
>forgetfulness - Gecube's installation instructions aren't the greatest. The
>comments you see on Newegg may reflect the same issue, because the reports
>seem distinctly "bi-modal", with some users getting very high temps, while
>others getting low temps.

Well it will beat my 9800XT which is currently running at
82C!...Actually it normally idles at about 69 but I think I need to
clean the dust out...I have been assured a million times that it is
supposed to run hot anyway (from many different sources)...

>A 400W brand-name (PCP&C, Enermax, Antec) PSU can handle the card without
>problems. Of course, the other solution is to use a different cooler like
>the Zalman VF900. You get both better cooling and ~25% lower power draw,
>which may be enough of a margin to avoid needing a PSU upgrade

Think I'll go with the better PSU (I only have 360W) right now as I
don't fancy tempering with coolers....

One thing I could do with though is a fan hole on the side of my
casing.....Hmmmm

--
The Zero ST