How to Turn off Wireless on laptop

Mr. Shempley

I've got a new centrino laptop with pretty sparse, poorly translated
instructions and no wireless on/off switch. Accordingly, I've always got an
icon showing an error on Wireless Network Connection. I don't wish to use
wireless at the moment, and assume that having this service running in the
background will erode battery life. In the absence of a toggle switch which
I'm sure I've seen on most other Centrinos, how can I find out if Wireless
networking is active, and if so, turn it off.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Mr. Shempley wrote:

> I've got a new centrino laptop with pretty sparse, poorly translated
> instructions and no wireless on/off switch. Accordingly, I've always got an
> icon showing an error on Wireless Network Connection. I don't wish to use
> wireless at the moment, and assume that having this service running in the
> background will erode battery life. In the absence of a toggle switch which
> I'm sure I've seen on most other Centrinos, how can I find out if Wireless
> networking is active, and if so, turn it off.

Go to Network connections and disable.

Barry OGrady

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:32:04 +1100, "Mr. Shempley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got a new centrino laptop with pretty sparse, poorly translated
>instructions and no wireless on/off switch. Accordingly, I've always got an
>icon showing an error on Wireless Network Connection. I don't wish to use
>wireless at the moment, and assume that having this service running in the
>background will erode battery life. In the absence of a toggle switch which
>I'm sure I've seen on most other Centrinos, how can I find out if Wireless
>networking is active, and if so, turn it off.

fn - f3

-Barry
========

JHEM

Barry OGrady wrote:

> fn - f3

That's normally for turning off the display.

Fn+F5 is most commonly used for turning off the WiFi card AFAIK.

Regards,

James

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 14:38:11 GMT, "JHEM"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Barry OGrady wrote:
|> >
|> > fn - f3
|>
|> That's normally for turning off the display.
|>
|> Fn+F5 is most commonly used for turning off the WiFi card AFAIK.

Reason for the return sir?

I was trying to turn off the WiFi and it just died on me.

William P.N. Smith

"JHEM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Barry OGrady wrote:
>> fn - f3

>Fn+F5 is most commonly used for turning off the WiFi card AFAIK.

Unless you have a Dell, in which case it's Fn-F2. In fact, it's
probably different for at least every vendor, and we don't even know
if the OP has a Fn key...

His best bet is to use the Network Connections window, and ask the
laptop vendor for assistance (BIOS settings, hotkeys, etc).

Garf

"JHEM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Barry OGrady wrote:
> >
> > fn - f3

> That's normally for turning off the display.
>
> Fn+F5 is most commonly used for turning off the WiFi card AFAIK.
>
> Regards,
>
> James

Err thats to switch display modes (internal / external / both) on HP's and a
lot of Tosh's

I'd RTFM first, mind you if the OP gave us a clue like "MANUFACTURER" we'd
be able to help a little better

Garf