TV R&R Best Practices

Teflon

How often should one make a copy of the System partition?

How many generations of the System partition copies should be
maintained before dumping old copies?

If a HD goes bad physically, can the System partition copy made with
R&R be used to regenerate the System on a new HD?

R&R is not working now. Tried to use it to delete an old backup and
it hung the system. I would like to remove R&R with Revo Uninstaller,
delete all old R&R backups and start all over. Where do I go to
download R&R?

Teflon

On Oct 2, 9:18*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> If a HD goes bad physically, can the System partition copy made with
> >> R&R be used to regenerate the System on a new HD?

> Yes.

Interesting. So, no cloning needed? Is there a boot disk that
enables that?
Is that process laid-out somewhere?

> >> R&R is not working now. *Tried to use it to delete an old backup and
> >> it hung the system. *

> My guess(tm) is that you didn't wait long enough, a common problem.
> Deleting incremental backups can take a long time if not deleted from
> most recent going back, because TR&R has to merge the remaining
> incremental backups -- it's not a simple deletion.

That sounds like a pretty good guess. Must be the voice of
experience. I'll give it another try, starting with the most recent
(last February).

> >With all due respect, you've seen the future.
> >Do yourself a favor and DUMP R&R.

> Pay no attention to bashers who don't understand how real backup works
> -- TR&R is very good, a great way to keep your system protected.

Wow, your own private heckler. You must really be good, John. Thanks
for your help.

One more topic. Could R&R be installed on an old TP that is 98SE
based? Pentium III, 96MB RAM, 4GB HD, floppy and read-only CD, 8GB
USB flash drive. If not, would you have a backup strategy for that
system? What about replicating the installed OS on a new HDD?