Tim Streater

Hmmm, nothing major changed for me in this version. The drawer of open
files has become a pane but that's about it.

I use "Save a copy" a lot which was why I was disturbed to find this bug
in 3.5.x, which does not appear to have been fixed in 4.0:

1) Edit your file

2) Decide to save a copy somewhere. Select File -> Save a Copy...

3) At this point something happens (e.g. phone rings) and you *forget*
to navigate elsewhere in the file system.

4) Click on Save button. Click Replace when prompted (you expected to do
this because there was, in fact, already a file of that name in the
other spot in the file system, from when you did this yesterday).

5) See a nasty looking pop-down warning that the file seems to have been
modified on disk by another application. Take the "safe" option and
click cancel.

6) Thinking you'll back out and start again, close the window of this
file in TW, intending to reopen it, perhaps later.

7) Discover now or some time later that your file on disk is now zero
bytes long. Luckily you are not a fathead and you have a backup. Or two.
But, of course, any changes you made in (1) are now lost.

--
Tim

Don Bruder

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim Streater <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hmmm, nothing major changed for me in this version. The drawer of open
> files has become a pane but that's about it.
>
> I use "Save a copy" a lot which was why I was disturbed to find this bug
> in 3.5.x, which does not appear to have been fixed in 4.0:
>
> 1) Edit your file
>
> 2) Decide to save a copy somewhere. Select File -> Save a Copy...
>
> 3) At this point something happens (e.g. phone rings) and you *forget*
> to navigate elsewhere in the file system.
>
> 4) Click on Save button. Click Replace when prompted (you expected to do
> this because there was, in fact, already a file of that name in the
> other spot in the file system, from when you did this yesterday).
>
> 5) See a nasty looking pop-down warning that the file seems to have been
> modified on disk by another application. Take the "safe" option and
> click cancel.
>
> 6) Thinking you'll back out and start again, close the window of this
> file in TW, intending to reopen it, perhaps later.
>
> 7) Discover now or some time later that your file on disk is now zero
> bytes long. Luckily you are not a fathead and you have a backup. Or two.
> But, of course, any changes you made in (1) are now lost.

Erm... What's a "TW"?

"Tomorrow Wendy"?
"Three Whiskeys"?
"Tortured Witch"?
"TradeWars"?
"Tickled Woman"?
"Total Waste"?

Perhaps something else? (AKA, it's always wise to use the full expansion
of an abbreviation at least once when there's even a slight ambiguity...)

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me

Jim

Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Perhaps something else? (AKA, it's always wise to use the full expansion
> of an abbreviation at least once when there's even a slight ambiguity...)

TextWrangler, the free text editor from Bare Bones.

In uk.comp.sys.mac we often joke that it's a great editor, but the price
is a little steep.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK Facetime ID:(E-Mail Removed)

"Join me again next week on -Let's Make No ****ing Sense- when I will
be waxing an owl." Mac, 'Green Wing'

Don Bruder

In article <1kididz.1ykfr2x1qzloqiN%(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) (Jim) wrote:

> Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps something else? (AKA, it's always wise to use the full expansion
> > of an abbreviation at least once when there's even a slight ambiguity...)

> TextWrangler, the free text editor from Bare Bones.

Ahhh... Much more useful. Not that it means much to me now that I know,
since I haven't heard of it before now. (TextEdit and/or the editor in
XCode has served me well enough for the uses I put a text editor to)

Is it unreasonable to assume that this "TextWrangler" beast is the
latest evolution of the old reliable "BBEdit" that I used to use heavily
back in the pre-OSX days?

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me
posting in with a "how to contact you" address, and I'll get back to you.

Tim Streater

In article <jm49si$gvu$(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> In article <1kididz.1ykfr2x1qzloqiN%(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Jim) wrote:
>
> > Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps something else? (AKA, it's always wise to use the full expansion
> > > of an abbreviation at least once when there's even a slight ambiguity...)

> > TextWrangler, the free text editor from Bare Bones.

> Ahhh... Much more useful. Not that it means much to me now that I know,
> since I haven't heard of it before now. (TextEdit and/or the editor in
> XCode has served me well enough for the uses I put a text editor to)
>
> Is it unreasonable to assume that this "TextWrangler" beast is the
> latest evolution of the old reliable "BBEdit" that I used to use heavily
> back in the pre-OSX days?

BBedit still exists and you pay for it. TW is free although by and large
it's a subset and in essence replaces the old BBEdit Lite.

--
Tim