Two questions

clw

first,what is happening during the time the little gear wheel is
spinning when the computer boots?

Second, this morning (for the first time) the computer booted into
"terminal". Is there any reason for this, something that needs to be
done? I looked in Pogues book on OS X but could find no way to get the
machine to revert to the "normal" desk top, and had to just power down
and re-start.

I installed the up-grade to 10.2.8 last week and except for some slowing
down have noticed no other problems.

Gregory Weston

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
clw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> first,what is happening during the time the little gear wheel is
> spinning when the computer boots?

> Second, this morning (for the first time) the computer booted into
> "terminal". Is there any reason for this, something that needs to be
> done? I looked in Pogues book on OS X but could find no way to get the
> machine to revert to the "normal" desk top, and had to just power down
> and re-start.

What do you mean "terminal." There are a couple of different things that
might be happening. The most likely is that you pressed 'S' at
just-the-right-time during the boot to end up in single-user mode.
Alternatively, there's the OpenFirmware prompt which is hard to enter by
honest accident but I've seen rare reports of it coming up spontaneously.

Can you describe the "terminal" you saw in more detail?

Change account to gw when responding by mail.

clw

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gregory Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What do you mean "terminal."

> Can you describe the "terminal" you saw in more detail?

It is a screen that Pogue describes as "terminal". A black screen with
a large "prompt". After hitting return it asked for my "username" and
"login". then it loaded some things I had no idea about, so rather than
mess something up I just powered down and re-started.

Bev A. Kupf

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:49:08 -0700,
clw ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gregory Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What do you mean "terminal."

>> Can you describe the "terminal" you saw in more detail?

> It is a screen that Pogue describes as "terminal". A black screen with
> a large "prompt". After hitting return it asked for my "username" and
> "login". then it loaded some things I had no idea about, so rather than
> mess something up I just powered down and re-started.

That the "console". For any of a variety of reasons, your computer
started up in single-user mode.

--
Demand accountability. Don't re-elect a liar on November 2, 2004.

Tom Stiller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Bev A. Kupf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:49:08 -0700,
> clw ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Gregory Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> What do you mean "terminal."

> >> Can you describe the "terminal" you saw in more detail?

> > It is a screen that Pogue describes as "terminal". A black screen with
> > a large "prompt". After hitting return it asked for my "username" and
> > "login". then it loaded some things I had no idea about, so rather than
> > mess something up I just powered down and re-started.

> That the "console". For any of a variety of reasons, your computer
> started up in single-user mode.

No; single user mode comes up with root logged in and the filesystem
mounted read-only. What the OP describes is more like the console mode
one gets when the Login screen is configured to request a name and
password and ">console" is given as the name. I have no idea how it
could have been accidently triggered but it is a windowless display with
everything but the GUI up, running, and awaiting a log-in.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF