Tyan 133 recognize 250GB Disk as 131GB

Sanjay Kumar

Hi Folks !

I have a dual processor Tyan 133 (S1834), WIndows 2000 system.
I just got a Maxtor 250Gb drive and to my surprise on-board Ultra 66 controller
recognizes only 131 GB (according to Partition Magic). Tried putting the disk
on Promise Ultra 66 controller and it still doesn't go beyond the well known
limit of 137GB. I tried to flash the Bios but this being such an old motherboard
I am wondering if that will be enough. Will an Ultra 133 controller unlock the
drive capacity or am I stuck with lower capacity under I move to a newer mother
board ? Has anyone gotten a Big drive to work with Tiger 133 ?

Thank you,

-Sanjay

David Schwartz

"Sanjay Kumar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i8SUf.1061$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks !
>
> I have a dual processor Tyan 133 (S1834), WIndows 2000 system.
> I just got a Maxtor 250Gb drive and to my surprise on-board Ultra 66
> controller
> recognizes only 131 GB (according to Partition Magic). Tried putting the
> disk
> on Promise Ultra 66 controller and it still doesn't go beyond the well
> known limit of 137GB. I tried to flash the Bios but this being such an old
> motherboard I am wondering if that will be enough. Will an Ultra 133
> controller unlock the drive capacity or am I stuck with lower capacity
> under I move to a newer mother board ? Has anyone gotten a Big drive to
> work with Tiger 133 ?

I'm not sure why you think the controller only recognizes 131GB or what
specifically partition magic told you. I think you're completely
misunderstanding what you're being told. For example, partition magic may be
telling you that there's a 131GB partition on your drive or that its
partition table is for a 131GB drive, none of which has anything to do with
the size of the drive as seen by the controller.

http://www.48bitlba.com/win2k.htm

DS

Bob Babcock

Sanjay Kumar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i8SUf.1061$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi Folks !
>
> I have a dual processor Tyan 133 (S1834), WIndows 2000 system.
> I just got a Maxtor 250Gb drive and to my surprise on-board Ultra 66
> controller recognizes only 131 GB (according to Partition Magic).

I don't have any 1834s in use any more, but as I recall, the trick with big
disks was to set the CMOS to autodetect, then the size would be properly
detected at each boot. I'm not sure how big a disk will work this way.
Also, Win/2K needs SP3 or later and a registry tweak:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305098

Sanjay Kumar

I downloaded Maxtor MaxBlast and that solved the problem. It made
the registry fix so WIndows 2000 could recognize > 137 GB partitions.
It also let me partition and copied boot records and files to new
disk. Very nice tool.