Tyan S2720 Problem

Andrew J. Leary

I have a Tyan S2720 board which has been running fine for months with dual
Xeon 2.6GHz CPUs and 512MB PC1600 RAM. The BIOS version is 1.03. Today I
shut the machine down while I was working on the network. When I went to
restart it, it would not boot. The power supply starts up, all the system
and CPU fans run, but there is no further activity. The power LED does
light up, but I don't get anything else. I've already tried removing all
PCI cards, swapping RAM modules, removing one of the processors, swapping
the 2 processors, etc. with no luck. Up until now I've had no problems with
it; it runs very cool even when under a heavy processor load.

Does anyone have any further troubleshooting suggestions? Please email me
at (E-Mail Removed).

Thanks,

Andrew

Paul Murphy

"Andrew J. Leary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JIa8e.6398$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I have a Tyan S2720 board which has been running fine for months with dual
>Xeon 2.6GHz CPUs and 512MB PC1600 RAM. The BIOS version is 1.03. Today I
>shut the machine down while I was working on the network. When I went to
>restart it, it would not boot. The power supply starts up, all the system
>and CPU fans run, but there is no further activity. The power LED does
>light up, but I don't get anything else. I've already tried removing all
>PCI cards, swapping RAM modules, removing one of the processors, swapping
>the 2 processors, etc. with no luck. Up until now I've had no problems
>with it; it runs very cool even when under a heavy processor load.
>
> Does anyone have any further troubleshooting suggestions? Please email me
> at (E-Mail Removed).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

I've had exactly the same problem with my Tyan S2460 not posting in the past
when using a certain PSU - especially when the PSU warms up. What make and
model of PSU are you using and have you another that you can swap in as a
test? Have you unplugged the PSU from the mains and motherboard and left it
to cool down for a while before plugging it back in and trying again?

Paul

Andrew J. Leary

Paul Murphy wrote:
> I've had exactly the same problem with my Tyan S2460 not posting in the past
> when using a certain PSU - especially when the PSU warms up. What make and
> model of PSU are you using and have you another that you can swap in as a
> test? Have you unplugged the PSU from the mains and motherboard and left it
> to cool down for a while before plugging it back in and trying again?

As it turns out, I thought of trying that right after I posted my
message. I swapped out the Antec True550 for a spare and the system
booted right back up.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Andrew

i7501 s2720-533 No boot roeften Tyan 1 01-07-2008 01:19 AM
PC3200 on S2720 (Thunder i7500) Klaus P. Pieper Tyan 1 03-08-2006 01:09 PM
S2720 BIOS 1.03 Andrew J. Leary Tyan 0 01-05-2005 07:38 PM
Re: Problem adding memory on S2720 squared root Tyan 0 04-06-2004 08:24 AM
Problem with Tyan 9600PRO graphics card and ASUS P4B266 motherboard! Damo Asus 2 12-11-2003 09:22 PM