Tyan Thunder 2500 POST problem

dave

I recently bought a Tyan Thunder 2500 S1867DLU3AN mainboard on Ebay,
sold as working, however I cant get it to compete it's POST. Onboard
are 2 800 Mhz PIII's. It gets as far as.

Pheonix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1985-1999 Pheonix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved

Tyan Thunder 2500 BIOS Ver 1.0.4 with LSI PCI SCSI
Build Time 10/23/00 17:02:33

CPU = Intel(R) Pentium(R) III processor 800 Mhz

Then it hangs, I've tried different CPU's, different memory etc same
result.

Should there be 2 lines, one for each CPU?

num lock on the keyboard led toggles but ctrl-alt-delete has no effect.

Does anyone have any ideas or is the board dead.

Thanks

Dave.

Paul Murphy

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I recently bought a Tyan Thunder 2500 S1867DLU3AN mainboard on Ebay,
> sold as working, however I cant get it to compete it's POST. Onboard
> are 2 800 Mhz PIII's. It gets as far as.
>
> Pheonix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
> Copyright 1985-1999 Pheonix Technologies Ltd.
> All Rights Reserved
>
> Tyan Thunder 2500 BIOS Ver 1.0.4 with LSI PCI SCSI
> Build Time 10/23/00 17:02:33
>
> CPU = Intel(R) Pentium(R) III processor 800 Mhz
>
> Then it hangs, I've tried different CPU's, different memory etc same
> result.
>
> Should there be 2 lines, one for each CPU?
>
> num lock on the keyboard led toggles but ctrl-alt-delete has no effect.
>

> Does anyone have any ideas or is the board dead.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave.

Does it boot ok with only the first cpu installed? My Tyan S2460 with 2 cpus
installed (and I suspect other boards) only displays one CPU identification
line and then it mentions 2 cpus are installed. If post doesn't get that far
perhaps there's a issue with the 2nd cpu?

If this still gets you nowhere, you could try swapping the cpus and put what
was in cpu2's place into cpu1's slot/socket (leaving nothing in cpu2
slot/socket). Once you have it booting with only one cpu then its simpler to
work out what the problem might be. Are the cpus a matched pair - many smp
arrangements can't even handle small differences (e.g. stepping) between
cpus. What has the seller said about it when you mentioned the trouble your
having?

Paul

dave

Thanks Paul.
I tried pulling 1 CPU & replacing it with a CPU terminator, same
result. I then swapped the terminator & cpu into the other slots same
thing.
The CPU's are a matched pair 800/133's.

Then tried another matched pair of 700 CPU's same result except it
shows 700 rather than 800.

Seller said he would speak to the chap at work who he bought it from
but have heard no more. I'll give him another couple of days then chase
him up.
I'm coming to the conclusion this board is dead