unable to execute Intel download in WinXP

AmC

Installed Windows XP Professional on my Intel DP965LT mb. I have 2GB memory.
I download the Intel programs and utility.

I am unable to execute the following downloaded programs:

Intel Chip Set Softeware Installation Utility for Intel Desktop Boards
INF_AllOS_8.4.0.1016_PV_Intel.exe -
The Application has failed to start because the application configuration is
incorrect. Restalling the application may fix the problem.

The Intell Desktop Utility
IDU_3.0.14.19.exe
The Intel SM Bus drivers could not be installed. This is a required driver.
The installation will now abort.

Intel Integrator Toolkit
iTK_FE_3.2.1.146.exe unzip to toolkit_3.2.1.146.exe
Component Transfer Error
The Parameter is incorrect.

Intel Management Engine Interface Drivers
HECI_Win2K_allXP_Vista32.2.1.22.1026_.exe
Error executing the specific program
c:\program files\Intel Desktop Board\HECI_2.1.22.1026_PV\setup.exe
unable to execute the specific command line.

Thank you for your help.

AmC

"JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yGjIi.595$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "AmC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jkjIi.624$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Installed Windows XP Professional on my Intel DP965LT mb. I have 2GB
>> memory.
>> I download the Intel programs and utility.
>>
>> I am unable to execute the following downloaded programs:
>>
>> Intel Chip Set Softeware Installation Utility for Intel Desktop Boards
>> INF_AllOS_8.4.0.1016_PV_Intel.exe -
>> The Application has failed to start because the application configuration
>> is incorrect. Restalling the application may fix the problem.
>>
>> The Intell Desktop Utility
>> IDU_3.0.14.19.exe
>> The Intel SM Bus drivers could not be installed. This is a required
>> driver. The installation will now abort.
>>
>> Intel Integrator Toolkit
>> iTK_FE_3.2.1.146.exe unzip to toolkit_3.2.1.146.exe
>> Component Transfer Error
>> The Parameter is incorrect.
>>
>> Intel Management Engine Interface Drivers
>> HECI_Win2K_allXP_Vista32.2.1.22.1026_.exe
>> Error executing the specific program
>> c:\program files\Intel Desktop Board\HECI_2.1.22.1026_PV\setup.exe
>> unable to execute the specific command line.
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>

> When installing a Windows OS for the first time, always install the INF
> drivers before installing any other drivers. See the INF readme for
> details.

Can you please show me the link to download INF drivers for this Intel mb?
I cannot not find it here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...4&submit=Go%21

I must have missed it somewhere?

Paul

AmC wrote:
> "JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yGjIi.595$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "AmC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jkjIi.624$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Installed Windows XP Professional on my Intel DP965LT mb. I have 2GB
>>> memory.
>>> I download the Intel programs and utility.
>>>
>>> I am unable to execute the following downloaded programs:
>>>
>>> Intel Chip Set Softeware Installation Utility for Intel Desktop Boards
>>> INF_AllOS_8.4.0.1016_PV_Intel.exe -
>>> The Application has failed to start because the application configuration
>>> is incorrect. Restalling the application may fix the problem.
>>>
>>> The Intell Desktop Utility
>>> IDU_3.0.14.19.exe
>>> The Intel SM Bus drivers could not be installed. This is a required
>>> driver. The installation will now abort.
>>>
>>> Intel Integrator Toolkit
>>> iTK_FE_3.2.1.146.exe unzip to toolkit_3.2.1.146.exe
>>> Component Transfer Error
>>> The Parameter is incorrect.
>>>
>>> Intel Management Engine Interface Drivers
>>> HECI_Win2K_allXP_Vista32.2.1.22.1026_.exe
>>> Error executing the specific program
>>> c:\program files\Intel Desktop Board\HECI_2.1.22.1026_PV\setup.exe
>>> unable to execute the specific command line.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help.
>>>

>> When installing a Windows OS for the first time, always install the INF
>> drivers before installing any other drivers. See the INF readme for
>> details.
>>

> Can you please show me the link to download INF drivers for this Intel mb?
> I cannot not find it here:
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...4&submit=Go%21
>
> I must have missed it somewhere?

It is the second item on the Intel page, called "Chipset".

When you click the download link, you'll be downloading
INF_AllOS_8.4.0.1016_PV_Intel.exe , which you've already got.

I can run the Intel utility, and if run in GUI mode, it uses
a temporary folder for its files. I found a help file in there,
which indicates the executable can be run from a DOS window
via a command line syntax.

*******
Help for Setup Command-Line Options

-? displays this help dialog
-a extracts all driver files
-aonly extracts driver files that match the system hardware
-b reboots the system after setup is complete
-f2 <path> changes the default log path
-l <number> specifies the language of the setup dialogs
-nowel does not display the welcome dialog
-nolic does not display the license agreement dialog
-noread does not display the readme dialog
-overide overwrites the IDE driver
-overall overwrites all drivers
-overwrite ignores the overwrite warning
-p <path> changes the default install path
-s does not display any setup dialogs
*******

I tried a DOS command box and due to the long name of the file, it
wouldn't run there immediately. I renamed the file to "dumb.exe" and
then executed the following in the DOS command window. (Note - first
you have to CD to the directory containing the file, so I'm missing
some steps here...)

dumb.exe -a

The result was, that the Intel program decided to dump the INF files into
C:\Program Files\Intel\INFInst

The raw INF files are there, if you wish to update chipset drivers.

In the past, Intel has offered a ZIP version of the INF files, and if you
absolutely must be guaranteed of getting something for your trouble, that is
the thing to get. But I don't see a ZIP version offered in this case. They
could easily do it, if they wanted to, because the -a option is doing
exactly that - unzip and quit.

I'm not going to say anything more about what to do next, because
this is not addressing the real problem, whatever it is. Chipset drivers
are not preventing executable software from executing. Missing libraries
and the like, are.

For better or worse, installer packages rely on things outside themselves.
(They really shouldn't - only an idiot would do that...)
My suspicion is, that if you were to run Windows Update, some of these
things may be filled in for you. Microsoft has a .NET library for example.
Microsoft also has some "Windows Installer" software that I keep seeing
when I use Windows Update.

What I'd recommend, is take the error messages you got from your attempts
at installation and run the text of the error message through a search
engine (copy the whole sentence and put quotes around it). You may find
mention of .NET or the Windows Installer software or maybe even some
crufty old Visual Basic files. Maybe something like that is what is
preventing them from executing. If there was a problem with part
of the registry being locked, the error messages would be different
ones. It could be, that a visit to Windows Update, will fill in some
of those gaps.

Paul

AmC

"JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aemIi.553$(E-Mail Removed)...

> No you didn't, I'm sorry I missed your first install,,,that was the INF.
>
> ""Intel Chip Set Software Installation Utility for Intel Desktop Boards""
>
> Did you install in the order in which you posted?
>
> What does the device manager say about your hardware currently?
>
> If a restore point was made before your first attempt you could go back to
> that point and install the INF first.or just start over with a reinstall
> of windows..
> This shouldn't be a struggle, I have done this hundreds of times on MANY
> Intel chipset boards, ASUS etc....
> I haven't found anything directly relating to this yet.
>
> What does the event viewer say?

OK, I got this Intel INF update utility here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...4&submit=Go%21

I downloaded both zip and exe
INF Update Utility, for Intel 900 series, version 8.3.0.1013
infinst_autol.exe
error:
This application has failed because the application configuration is
incorrect.

From the unzip INF Update Utility, verison 8.3.0.1013
setup.exe
This application has failed to start because the application configuration
is incorrect.

Where can I read the event viewer?
What is this configuration they keep talking about?

AmC

"AmC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a8EIi.10120$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aemIi.553$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Where can I read the event viewer?
> What is this configuration they keep talking about?

OK. I found the event viewer in the control panel - application.
It did not show any current error.

Paul

AmC wrote:
> "JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aemIi.553$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> No you didn't, I'm sorry I missed your first install,,,that was the INF.
>>
>> ""Intel Chip Set Software Installation Utility for Intel Desktop Boards""
>>
>> Did you install in the order in which you posted?
>>
>> What does the device manager say about your hardware currently?
>>
>> If a restore point was made before your first attempt you could go back to
>> that point and install the INF first.or just start over with a reinstall
>> of windows..
>> This shouldn't be a struggle, I have done this hundreds of times on MANY
>> Intel chipset boards, ASUS etc....
>> I haven't found anything directly relating to this yet.
>>
>> What does the event viewer say?
>>

> OK, I got this Intel INF update utility here:
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...4&submit=Go%21
>
> I downloaded both zip and exe
> INF Update Utility, for Intel 900 series, version 8.3.0.1013
> infinst_autol.exe
> error:
> This application has failed because the application configuration is
> incorrect.
>
> From the unzip INF Update Utility, verison 8.3.0.1013
> setup.exe
> This application has failed to start because the application configuration
> is incorrect.
>
> Where can I read the event viewer?
> What is this configuration they keep talking about?

If I go to www.sysinternals.com and get a copy of Process Explorer (procexp.exe)
and run it, then select the Intel "setup.exe" file while it is running, these
are the DLLs that the Intel program loaded. This is what I see when the Intel
colored dialog window eventually shows up. Setup.exe grinds for almost 30 seconds
before showing its window, even though in this case, I'm using the contents of
the ZIP folder (so everything is already unzipped).

Process: Setup.exe Pid: 1892

Name Description Company Name Version
ADVAPI32.DLL Advanced Windows 32 Base API Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.7038
ChipsetENU.dll Intel® Chipset Device Software installer Intel® Corporation 1.01.0006.0000
comctl32.dll Common Controls Library Microsoft Corporation 5.81.4968.2500
ctype.nls
GDI32.DLL GDI Client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.7138
KERNEL32.DLL Windows NT BASE API Client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.7135
locale.nls
msvcrt.dll Microsoft (R) C Runtime Library Microsoft Corporation 6.01.9844.0000
NTDLL.DLL NT Layer DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.7006
OLE32.DLL Microsoft OLE for Windows Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.7059
psapi.dll Process Status Helper Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2134.0001
rpcrt4.dll Remote Procedure Call Runtime Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.7085
Setup.exe Intel® Chipset Device Software installer Intel® Corporation 1.01.0009.0000
setupapi.dll Windows Setup API Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.6622
SHELL32.DLL Windows Shell Common Dll Microsoft Corporation 5.00.3900.7105
shim.dll Shim Engine DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.6717
SHLWAPI.DLL Shell Light-weight Utility Library Microsoft Corporation 6.00.2800.1913
sortkey.nls
sorttbls.nls
unicode.nls
USER32.DLL Windows 2000 USER API Client DLL Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.7133
USERENV.DLL Userenv Microsoft Corporation 5.00.2195.7002

When I use a search engine, and look for "application configuration is incorrect", I keep
seeing threads like this, mentioning Visual Studio and the like.

"Re: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect"
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...eID=1&pageid=1
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...64465&SiteID=1

The msvcrt.dll properties (one of the many DLLs above loaded by Setup.exe), is in
C:\WINNT\system32\msvcrt.dll . The problem is, I'm using Win2K SP4, so my path
specifications won't be of help to someone debugging a WinXP problem. The thing
is, the majority of things in that list above, that "Setup.exe" is using, are all
in that same system32 folder. Either a particular dependency is missing, or the
entire search path is screwed up. WinXP will have a different name for the system32
folder, but the concept will be similar - many key DLLs will all be staged in the
same folder.

Say, for example, your install didn't "go into the right hole". Say that the path
that the install files were placed in, was incorrect. Then, the part of the system
that loads DLLs, will be royally confused. I wonder if the boot drive is even on C:\ ?

I know you just want a "simple" answer, but unless a search engine turns up such a
simple answer, you're going to have to go about it the hard way. The normal program
dependencies are not being supplied, and because Windows isn't "man enough" to
display a message as to what dependency is not resolved, you are going to have to
compare your broken installation, to another disk that has a working installation on it.

On Unix systems I've used, programs like lddconfig show what versions of dynamically
links libraries are being used by a program, without even running the program. This
is a great feature, that tells you about stuff you may be missing, without any
non-descript error messages.

Paul

chowo12345@gmail.com

On Sep 21, 10:37 am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> AmC wrote:
> > "JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:aemIi.553$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> No you didn't, I'm sorry I missed your first install,,,that was the INF.

> >> ""Intel Chip Set Software Installation Utility for Intel Desktop Boards""

> >> Did you install in the order in which you posted?

> >> What does the device manager say about your hardware currently?

> >> If a restore point was made before your first attempt you could go back to
> >> that point and install the INF first.or just start over with a reinstall
> >> of windows..
> >> This shouldn't be a struggle, I have done this hundreds of times on MANY
> >> Intel chipset boards, ASUS etc....
> >> I haven't found anything directly relating to this yet.

> >> What does the event viewer say?

> > OK, I got this Intel INF update utility here:
> >http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...Types=all&Prod...

> > I downloaded both zip and exe
> > INF Update Utility, for Intel 900 series, version 8.3.0.1013
> > infinst_autol.exe
> > error:
> > This application has failed because the application configuration is
> > incorrect.

> > From the unzip INF Update Utility, verison 8.3.0.1013
> > setup.exe
> > This application has failed to start because the application configuration
> > is incorrect.

> > Where can I read the event viewer?
> > What is this configuration they keep talking about?

You should download infinst_enu.exe instead of infinst_autol.exe.
The ENU version is for english version of Windows. The AUTOL version
is for muilti-language and will not work on english version. (not sure
why, may be due to locale setting ... :O )

I hope this solved your problem.