Unable to hear Windows Logon Sound on Startup

JonZ

I have a soyo p4s dragon ultra with windows 2000 and using the onboard
audio with updated driver.
For some reason, am uable to hear the windows logon sound when windows
starts.
I am also unable to hear some sound events in some programs. I can
hear music files ok, and am able to hear audio with the dvd player.

I can hear the logon file when I test it in control panel>sounds and
multimedia>sounds but it never occurs on startup.