Unable to record audio

hjajdkther@hkwjthdntm.com

My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
I use Win XP Home.

RnR

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:52:04 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
>downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
>the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
>The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
>I use Win XP Home.

My first thought is a wrong driver??? I guess the next question is
what are you using to do the recording?

"RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:52:04 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
>>downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
>>the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
>>The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
>>I use Win XP Home.

> My first thought is a wrong driver??? I guess the next question is
> what are you using to do the recording?

Using the small mic that came with the pc.

Steve W.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:52:04 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
>>> downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
>>> the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
>>> The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
>>> I use Win XP Home.

>> My first thought is a wrong driver??? I guess the next question is
>> what are you using to do the recording?

> Using the small mic that came with the pc.

What software are you using? And is the mic active in the mixer as a source?

--
Steve W.

"Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jj18r8$5i7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> My first thought is a wrong driver??? I guess the next question is
>>> what are you using to do the recording?

>> Using the small mic that came with the pc.

> What software are you using? And is the mic active in the mixer as a
> source?
>
> --
> Steve W.

Not sure what you mean by 'software', but I test the recording using the
small windows 'sound recorder'. The properties for 'audio record' show 'rear
mic', 'line in', and 'microphone'.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
> downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
> the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
> The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
> I use Win XP Home.

Seems there was a setting that needed adjusting. Rear Mic slider in audio
properties was set to off/low for some reason. Still, the mic seems very
quiet when recording, it used to record much louder. Strange.

BillW50

In news:PZ75r.218632$(E-Mail Removed)2,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
>> downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
>> the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
>> The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
>> I use Win XP Home.

> Seems there was a setting that needed adjusting. Rear Mic slider in
> audio properties was set to off/low for some reason. Still, the mic
> seems very quiet when recording, it used to record much louder.
> Strange.

Some applications will change the mixer settings. So if you remember
setting them one way and find it differently later, this is probably
why. Also a lot of mic mixers have a toggle to boost the mic level. So
look for this toggle.

Also once the recording has been made, it isn't too late. As there are
commercial and free audio recording tools that can boost the volume of a
file. Audacity is a popular free one.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

--
Bill