Unrequested Print Screen

xby

I did not try another keyboard yet. If the Print Screen key is stuck,
wouldn't the printer run constantly? It does not! The printer is
idle and quiet while I work for hours in MS-DOS when all of a sudden
it wakes up, prints the screen, and becomes idle and quiet again for a
long duration.

This was happening more frequently while plain MS-DOS is used. It is
not that frequent when MS-DOS is used under Windows 3.1

Franc Zabkar ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

"Sounds like a stuck Print Screen key. Have you tried another
keyboard?
BTW, I typed the previous line (in Win9se) while holding down the
Print Screen key."

pete@nospam.demon.co.uk

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >
(E-Mail Removed) "xby" writes:

> I did not try another keyboard yet. If the Print Screen key is stuck,
> wouldn't the printer run constantly?

Not necessarily -- there could be an intermittent problem with
the key that just shows itself up when the keyboard is vibrated
"just so"...

> It does not! The printer is
> idle and quiet while I work for hours in MS-DOS when all of a sudden
> it wakes up, prints the screen, and becomes idle and quiet again for a
> long duration.
>
> This was happening more frequently while plain MS-DOS is used. It is
> not that frequent when MS-DOS is used under Windows 3.1

the DOS Print Screen service is activated by issuing Int 05h. Is
it possible that you are running some malware that does this?

A workaround is to patch the BIOS data area at address 50:0000
with the value 01h, which value gets placed there by the Int 05
service whilst a Print Screen is in progress, i.e. busy. If you
decide to take this route and need help with the DEBUG commands
to create a (e.g.) a "noprtscr.com" that you can call from
autoexec.bat just ask again.

Pete
--
"We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors,
we have borrowed it from our descendants."

Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:03:13 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>A workaround is to patch the BIOS data area at address 50:0000
>with the value 01h, which value gets placed there by the Int 05
>service whilst a Print Screen is in progress, i.e. busy. If you
>decide to take this route and need help with the DEBUG commands
>to create a (e.g.) a "noprtscr.com" that you can call from
>autoexec.bat just ask again.
>
>Pete

It wouldn't be as pretty, but you could add these lines to your
autoexec.bat file:

:noprtscr
for %%v in (e50:0 01 q) do echo %%v>> %temp%.\$$temp$$
debug < %temp%.\$$temp$$ > nul
del %temp%.\$$temp$$

- Franc Zabkar

Unrequested Print Screen xby IBM 1 01-25-2005 06:36 AM
Unrequested Print Screen xby PC Hardware 3 01-22-2005 09:32 PM
Unrequested Print Screen xby IBM 3 01-22-2005 09:32 PM
Unrequested Print Screen xby IBM 1 01-21-2005 04:33 PM
Print-Print versus Print-Preview-Print MacPrint Apple 3 01-07-2004 04:16 PM