Update Asus mainboard

Klaus Haber

Hello,

I use the asus mainbord P5GD2 Deluxe for more than 5 years wihout trouble.

Since 2 days I get during the startup of the computer the following message
over the whole screen:

============================
ASUS motherboard

Proactive
ai
P5GD2 Deluxe
Intel inside Pentium 4

Pess DEL to run update
============================

After waiting for 1 minute and do nothing the message will disappear and
the computer continues the startup procedure.

On the other hand, if I press DEL, than the BIOS of the System (WIN XP
Home) will appear and nothing happens, no more information what do, really
nothing up to the end of the world ;-) I can close the BIOS manually and
finish the startup procedure.

This is a strange situation for me and I don't know what to do. Can
somebody help me and explain the reason for this message and what I have to
do?

Thank you,

Klaus

--
Homepage: http://www.bingo-ev.de/~Klaus.Haber
"pH-Messung - einfach zu verstehen"

Rob

On 20/05/2011 14:24, Klaus Haber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use the asus mainbord P5GD2 Deluxe for more than 5 years wihout trouble.
>
> Since 2 days I get during the startup of the computer the following message
> over the whole screen:
>
> ============================
> ASUS motherboard
>
> Proactive
> ai
> P5GD2 Deluxe
> Intel inside Pentium 4
>
> Pess DEL to run update
> ============================
>
> After waiting for 1 minute and do nothing the message will disappear and
> the computer continues the startup procedure.
>
> On the other hand, if I press DEL, than the BIOS of the System (WIN XP
> Home) will appear and nothing happens, no more information what do, really
> nothing up to the end of the world ;-) I can close the BIOS manually and
> finish the startup procedure.
>
> This is a strange situation for me and I don't know what to do. Can
> somebody help me and explain the reason for this message and what I have to
> do?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Klaus

It is possible that the CMOS backup battery needs replacing.
This is a Lithium coin cell (type CR2032) and lasts about 5
years or so.
Also check the BIOS Advanced>Jumperfree settings and make sure
AI overclocking is set to Auto (try "Standard" to see if that
helps.)
When you press Del and enter the BIOS, make sure you choose
Exit & Save Changes.
HTH
--
Rob

Klaus Haber

Hello Rob,

thank you so much for your replay.

Am Fri, 20 May 2011 14:55:05 +0100 schrieb Rob:

> On 20/05/2011 14:24, Klaus Haber wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use the asus mainbord P5GD2 Deluxe for more than 5 years wihout trouble.
>>
>> Since 2 days I get during the startup of the computer the following message
>> over the whole screen:
>>
>> ============================
>> ASUS motherboard
>>
>> Proactive
>> ai
>> P5GD2 Deluxe
>> Intel inside Pentium 4
>>
>> Pess DEL to run update
>> ============================
>>
>> After waiting for 1 minute and do nothing the message will disappear and
>> the computer continues the startup procedure.
>>
>> On the other hand, if I press DEL, than the BIOS of the System (WIN XP
>> Home) will appear and nothing happens, no more information what do, really
>> nothing up to the end of the world ;-) I can close the BIOS manually and
>> finish the startup procedure.
>>
>> This is a strange situation for me and I don't know what to do. Can
>> somebody help me and explain the reason for this message and what I have to
>> do?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Klaus

> It is possible that the CMOS backup battery needs replacing.
> This is a Lithium coin cell (type CR2032) and lasts about 5
> years or so.

Well, i know this battery. I changed it about 1 year ago. Nevertheless I
did this again in this moment. The old battery had 3,05 volt, the new one
3.35 volt. But there was no effect by the changing procedure.

> Also check the BIOS Advanced>Jumperfree settings and make sure
> AI overclocking is set to Auto (try "Standard" to see if that
> helps.)
> When you press Del and enter the BIOS, make sure you choose
> Exit & Save Changes.

Then I checked the jumperfree settings according your advice. The original
setting was "auto" and I changed to "standard" after saving the new
setting. A new computer start got the same failure message. So, both
advices didn't help.

Do you have an other idea?

Greetings

Klaus

--
Homepage: http://www.bingo-ev.de/~Klaus.Haber
"pH-Messung - einfach zu verstehen"
neu: "Waldohreule, Ergänzung August 2008"
http://www.bingo-ev.de/~Klaus.Haber/eule.html

Klaus Haber

Sorry, not correct writing.

Then I checked the jumperfree settings according your advice. The original
setting was "auto" and I changed to "standard". *After saving the new
setting and a new computer start, I got the same failure message*. So, both
advices didn't help.

Klaus

Rob

On 20/05/2011 15:54, Klaus Haber wrote:
> Sorry, not correct writing.
>
> Then I checked the jumperfree settings according your advice. The original
> setting was "auto" and I changed to "standard". *After saving the new
> setting and a new computer start, I got the same failure message*. So, both
> advices didn't help.
>
> Klaus

Could it be a setting in the Asus update utility Windows
application?
I don't use that myself, but it may be downloading a new BIOS
and triggering this BIOS message?

The only other thing I can think of is to enter the BIOS and
use 'Load Setup Defaults' in the Exit BIOS screen, then
Save & Exit.

HTH,
--
Rob

Paul

Klaus Haber wrote:
> Sorry, not correct writing.
>
> Then I checked the jumperfree settings according your advice. The original
> setting was "auto" and I changed to "standard". *After saving the new
> setting and a new computer start, I got the same failure message*. So, both
> advices didn't help.
>
> Klaus

Are you perhaps, seeing the "full screen logo" mode of BIOS startup ?

There are two ways to run a motherboard.

1) With "full screen logo" disabled, text messages from each step of
the BIOS POST process will be displayed. For the 30 seconds it might
take for POST to complete, and for the BIOS to start the actual OS
boot, you can view the messages and see what the BIOS is doing.

2) With "full screen logo" enabled, the text is hidden. Asus will put
a colorful logo image over top of the text, so that the text cannot
be seen. During this interval, you can press "Del" to enter the BIOS.
Just as, in (1), you would also be invited to press "Del" sometime in
the first few seconds of the POST sequence.

Check section 4.6.2 of the P5GD2_Deluxe manual, for "Boot Settings".
In there, "Full Screen Logo" is enabled by default. If you change
the CMOS battery, it goes back to being enabled. Most home users
set it to [Disabled], as it is more meaningful to view the text
and understand the progress the BIOS is making.

*******

If the motherboard has a problem during startup, and it wants
to tell you, the "halt on error" dialog will appear, and
will prompt you to press F1 to enter the BIOS and correct
the error condition. Since you've not mentioned any reference to
F1, I have to conclude there is no error condition, and you've
instead chosen to use "Full Screen Logo" mode. If you disable
it, it will be easier to understand what your PC is doing.

As far as I'm concerned, Full Screen logo should not be
enabled by default, but I didn't write the BIOS :-) Consider
a situation where the keyboard is broken, and the user wants
to see the BIOS screen text. With a default of enabling the Full
Screen Logo, even removing the BIOS coin cell battery will not
be sufficient to force the text messages to appear.

Paul

Klaus Haber

Hello Paul,

Am Fri, 20 May 2011 12:26:14 -0400 schrieb Paul:

[...]

heureka Paul, it runs again!

[...]

> Check section 4.6.2 of the P5GD2_Deluxe manual, for "Boot Settings".
> In there, "Full Screen Logo" is enabled by default. If you change
> the CMOS battery, it goes back to being enabled. Most home users
> set it to [Disabled], as it is more meaningful to view the text
> and understand the progress the BIOS is making.

I should knock my head. Because I belong to the advanced older generation,
I forgot to have a look in the manual. Following your advice, I found in
section 4.6.2 the setting for "Full Screen Logo" --> Enabled. Simultaneous
a handwritten note by myself: "Changed to disabled at 18.06.2006".

But since 5 years I did not change this setting again. Is it possible, that
the change can be done by the system itself? It is unbelievable!

Many thanks to you and to Rob too for your help!

Have a nice weekend and greetings from Bavaria in Germany

Klaus

--
Homepage: http://www.bingo-ev.de/~Klaus.Haber
"pH-Messung - einfach zu verstehen"
neu: "Waldohreule, Ergänzung August 2008"
http://www.bingo-ev.de/~Klaus.Haber/eule.html

Ghostrider

On 5/20/2011 11:46 AM, Klaus Haber wrote:
> Hello Paul,
>
> Am Fri, 20 May 2011 12:26:14 -0400 schrieb Paul:
>
> [...]
>
> heureka Paul, it runs again!
>
> [...]
>
>> Check section 4.6.2 of the P5GD2_Deluxe manual, for "Boot Settings".
>> In there, "Full Screen Logo" is enabled by default. If you change
>> the CMOS battery, it goes back to being enabled. Most home users
>> set it to [Disabled], as it is more meaningful to view the text
>> and understand the progress the BIOS is making.

> I should knock my head. Because I belong to the advanced older generation,
> I forgot to have a look in the manual. Following your advice, I found in
> section 4.6.2 the setting for "Full Screen Logo" --> Enabled. Simultaneous
> a handwritten note by myself: "Changed to disabled at 18.06.2006".
>
> But since 5 years I did not change this setting again. Is it possible, that
> the change can be done by the system itself? It is unbelievable!
>
> Many thanks to you and to Rob too for your help!
>
> Have a nice weekend and greetings from Bavaria in Germany
>
> Klaus

But did you change the CMOS battery? A failing battery would induce
the BIOS settings to its factory default and this could be what is
happening here. Replace the CMOS battery. It will be necessary to
alter the default settings to suit and then save.

GR

Klaus Haber

Hello GR,

Am Sat, 21 May 2011 12:07:37 -0700 schrieb Ghostrider:

> On 5/20/2011 11:46 AM, Klaus Haber wrote:
>> Hello Paul,
>>
>> Am Fri, 20 May 2011 12:26:14 -0400 schrieb Paul:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> heureka Paul, it runs again!
>>
>> [...]

[...]

> But did you change the CMOS battery? A failing battery would induce
> the BIOS settings to its factory default and this could be what is
> happening here. Replace the CMOS battery. It will be necessary to
> alter the default settings to suit and then save.

did you read what I reportet to Rob concerning the CMOS-battery? The
existing battery is only about 1 year old and according to my experience
good for further 3-4 years. The procedure of changing I always do while the
computer ist running, so the BIOS will never loose the voltage.

I take care for this "accident" and wait for the next one. Then I will
change the battery ;-)

Thank you for your reply and habe a nice weekend

Klaus

--
Homepage: http://www.bingo-ev.de/~Klaus.Haber
"pH-Messung - einfach zu verstehen"
neu: "Waldohreule, Ergänzung August 2008"
http://www.bingo-ev.de/~Klaus.Haber/eule.html

ASUS mainboard upgrade question P4B533-Deluxe to newer ASUS that supports dual core Roscoe P Pendoscoe Asus 3 05-30-2006 03:12 PM
win update and p4p 800 e mainboard Gary and Sue Asus 3 05-09-2005 03:10 PM
Update Asus Update? Mox 13 Asus 3 04-11-2004 07:54 AM
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,aus.computers Ray Epox 0 11-01-2003 01:46 AM
MS-6380 Mainboard Problems and BIOS Update Andy K MSI 0 07-01-2003 02:23 AM