upgrade to amd xp 3200+

nayt

Hi,

Would it make a lot of difference if I upgrade my cpu from an AMD XP
2600+ to an AMD XP 3200+

The 2600+ is overclocked slightly at 200 + 10.5 (2100 mhz).

Wes Newell

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:58:44 +1100, nayt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would it make a lot of difference if I upgrade my cpu from an AMD XP 2600+
> to an AMD XP 3200+
>
> The 2600+ is overclocked slightly at 200 + 10.5 (2100 mhz).

Wouldn't make a lot of difference, but why don't you speed up the one you
have now. You are just barely over the default speed of 2083 MHz (12.5x166)
for this cpu. Raise the multiplier to 11-12. May need to raise vcore a
little the higher you go.

nayt

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:01:03 GMT, Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:58:44 +1100, nayt wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Would it make a lot of difference if I upgrade my cpu from an AMD XP
>> 2600+
>> to an AMD XP 3200+
>>
>> The 2600+ is overclocked slightly at 200 + 10.5 (2100 mhz).

> Wouldn't make a lot of difference, but why don't you speed up the one you
> have now. You are just barely over the default speed of 2083 MHz
> (12.5x166)
> for this cpu. Raise the multiplier to 11-12. May need to raise vcore a
> little the higher you go.

Thanks for the tip. I got the 12.5x166 256L2 CPU. As I mentioned in my
earlier post I've overclocked it to 11x200
(2200 mhz).

Its fine when playing doom3, UT2004, Empire earth, sims2, NWN and also
when I ran prime95 stress test for about 3
hours, however it crashes when playing Half-life2. The whole computer
does not lock up meaning half-life2 quits
after a while and I am back to the desktop.

At this point if I launch other games or launch hl2 again its fine but
everytime I play hl2 at this speed it crashes
after a while. The time it takes to crash is random too.

So I was just wondering if you have the same processor how far could you
push your 2600+.

For cooling I have a 3d gigabyte cooler with active silver paste. I
checked the temps when hl2 crashed and I am
back to the desktop and its about 51c. I have an epox nforce2 motherboard.

thanks
nayt

Bob M

nayt wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:01:03 GMT, Wes Newell
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:58:44 +1100, nayt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Would it make a lot of difference if I upgrade my cpu from an AMD XP
>>> 2600+
>>> to an AMD XP 3200+
>>>
>>> The 2600+ is overclocked slightly at 200 + 10.5 (2100 mhz).

>> Wouldn't make a lot of difference, but why don't you speed up the one you
>> have now. You are just barely over the default speed of 2083 MHz
>> (12.5x166)
>> for this cpu. Raise the multiplier to 11-12. May need to raise vcore a
>> little the higher you go.
>>

> Thanks for the tip. I got the 12.5x166 256L2 CPU. As I mentioned in
> my earlier post I've overclocked it to 11x200
> (2200 mhz).
>
> Its fine when playing doom3, UT2004, Empire earth, sims2, NWN and also
> when I ran prime95 stress test for about 3
> hours, however it crashes when playing Half-life2. The whole computer
> does not lock up meaning half-life2 quits
> after a while and I am back to the desktop.
>
> At this point if I launch other games or launch hl2 again its fine but
> everytime I play hl2 at this speed it crashes
> after a while. The time it takes to crash is random too.
>
> So I was just wondering if you have the same processor how far could
> you push your 2600+.
>
> For cooling I have a 3d gigabyte cooler with active silver paste. I
> checked the temps when hl2 crashed and I am
> back to the desktop and its about 51c. I have an epox nforce2 motherboard.
>
> thanks
> nayt

The problem is with Half Life 2. There are many many other people,
myself included, that have CTD problems with Half Life 2. Great game
otherwise.

Bob

Chuck

"nayt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newspsmv5f6wex9krye@ragnarok...
> Hi,
>
> Would it make a lot of difference if I upgrade my cpu from an AMD XP
> 2600+ to an AMD XP 3200+
>
> The 2600+ is overclocked slightly at 200 + 10.5 (2100 mhz).
>

> --

The difference it would make is probably slight concidering the small jump
in Mhz. However the 3200+ runs a 200 Mhz FSB stock, compared to the 2600+'s
166 mhz FSB and can easily handle having the multiplier jumped up to 11.5 or
even 12 with high quality memory.