Upgrade Averatec cpu

banderz777

I would like to upgrade my processor on my laptop, Averatec 5400 ser.
I have the AthlonXP-m 2800+, can't find out who makes my motherboard,
on the board I found this on it.(AN5 MB 50-70956-04), does anyone know
who makes this board,really need the help, called Averatec,but get no
answer.

Quaoar

banderz777 wrote:
> I would like to upgrade my processor on my laptop, Averatec 5400 ser.
> I have the AthlonXP-m 2800+, can't find out who makes my motherboard,
> on the board I found this on it.(AN5 MB 50-70956-04), does anyone know
> who makes this board,really need the help, called Averatec,but get no
> answer.

Averatec "sources" their notebooks directly from China, Inc. Averatec
is a marketer, having few or no design and support services of their
own. You will likely never find a definitive identity for the mainboard
unless you have access to the Chinese assemblers directly. That being
writ, there are few or none of any laptop brand that a user can
reasonably upgrade a CPU. Note that I'm not even addressing the
relative difficulty of *finding* an upgraded CPU that will work.

Focus your energies on a new, state-of-the-art laptop that, likewise,
cannot be upgraded.

paulmd@efn.org

On Jun 27, 9:46 am, banderz777 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I would like to upgrade my processor on my laptop, Averatec 5400 ser.
> I have the AthlonXP-m 2800+, can't find out who makes my motherboard,
> on the board I found this on it.(AN5 MB 50-70956-04), does anyone know
> who makes this board,really need the help, called Averatec,but get no
> answer.

I disrecommend processor upgrades on laptops. There are several
reasons:

1) Pain in the butt. (as you already have taken the machine apart far
enough apart to read the writing on the board, you might as well
ignore this one : ) )

2) As you found out, no easy way to find out what replacements are
compatible.

3) You need to just about double the processor speed to make a
noticeable difference.

4) faster processors in the same family usually mean more heat, which
is particularly troublesome in a laptop, where upgrading the cooling
system to compensate is nigh impossible.

4a) Changing the family of processor decreases the likelihood that a
replacement will be compatible.

5) You often have to upgrade the bios to support a faster processor.

That said, if you want to make an educated guess, choose one with one
in the same class.

Other sources point to the processor being an XP-M 'dublin'. And there
really isn't much room at the top. (just to 3100+, and you'd never
notice.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Socket_754.29

Your computer is a wal-mart special. Beware! Many reposts of problems
with XP SP2, among others.
(just google your model and skim the results, you'll see)

if your current processor is dead, you might as well replace it. But i
wouldn't upgrade this one, if it works.

You might get more use out of a RAM upgrade.

banderz777

Want to thank you both for the comments, I think I will just upgrade my
RAM.

Can you upgrade the graphics on an Averatec 6240 in any way olliejkpc Laptops 3 06-02-2005 05:19 PM
Update on my Averatec C3500 CPU Spiking issue StephenB Tablet PC 4 03-28-2005 10:01 AM
Averatec - the good, the bad, the ugly Steve Laptops 5 08-04-2003 11:27 PM
Averatec 3150H @ $749 Steve Laptops 0 07-02-2003 04:04 PM
Averatec 3150HS Review Frank Malloway Laptops 0 06-29-2003 04:57 PM