Upgrade Fujitsu tablet PC to Vista

Rich Raffenetti

Has anyone tried upgrading a Fujitsu tablet PC to Vista? Fujitsu doesn't
provide support for upgrading but I wonder if Microsoft has included drivers
in Vista which would support some/all of the Fujitsu tablet devices.

I'm currently weaning myself from my T4010 tablet in favor of another
desktop PC and will soon be in a position to either rebuild the XP Tablet
with the support disks or install or upgrade to Vista. I'm wondering if
trying Vista would be at all fruitful or an exercise in frustration.

V Green

"Rich Raffenetti" <rich@raffenetti_takethisout.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone tried upgrading a Fujitsu tablet PC to Vista? Fujitsu doesn't
> provide support for upgrading but I wonder if Microsoft has included drivers
> in Vista which would support some/all of the Fujitsu tablet devices.
>
> I'm currently weaning myself from my T4010 tablet in favor of another
> desktop PC and will soon be in a position to either rebuild the XP Tablet
> with the support disks or install or upgrade to Vista. I'm wondering if
> trying Vista would be at all fruitful or an exercise in frustration.

Only if the drivers are available from Fujitsu. Hardware
specific stuff IS required that isn't on the Vista discs.

I upgraded my U810 from pre-installed Vista to XP Tablet
because Vista had so many problems.

Chris H

If the manufacturer does not support the upgrade, I wouldn't go there in a
million years. They won't help, and getting drivers to make the machine
perform properly with Vista may not be possible. Just stick with what
you've got unless any manufacturer says they support Vista.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Rich Raffenetti" <rich@raffenetti_takethisout.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone tried upgrading a Fujitsu tablet PC to Vista? Fujitsu doesn't
> provide support for upgrading but I wonder if Microsoft has included
> drivers in Vista which would support some/all of the Fujitsu tablet
> devices.
>
> I'm currently weaning myself from my T4010 tablet in favor of another
> desktop PC and will soon be in a position to either rebuild the XP Tablet
> with the support disks or install or upgrade to Vista. I'm wondering if
> trying Vista would be at all fruitful or an exercise in frustration.

Sven

I'll second that. Tried it on a Toshiba that they weren't supporting the
upgrade on. Most stuff worked great, but the tablet specific buttons needed
drivers that didn't exist, and little annoyances, like the screen not
auto-rotating to portarait in tablet mode, made me re-store from the factory
restore disks.

"Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the manufacturer does not support the upgrade, I wouldn't go there in a
> million years. They won't help, and getting drivers to make the machine
> perform properly with Vista may not be possible. Just stick with what
> you've got unless any manufacturer says they support Vista.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
> Associate Expert
>
> "Rich Raffenetti" <rich@raffenetti_takethisout.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Has anyone tried upgrading a Fujitsu tablet PC to Vista? Fujitsu doesn't
>> provide support for upgrading but I wonder if Microsoft has included
>> drivers in Vista which would support some/all of the Fujitsu tablet
>> devices.
>>
>> I'm currently weaning myself from my T4010 tablet in favor of another
>> desktop PC and will soon be in a position to either rebuild the XP Tablet
>> with the support disks or install or upgrade to Vista. I'm wondering if
>> trying Vista would be at all fruitful or an exercise in frustration.

Rich Raffenetti

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was hoping that someone had tried and
been successful.

"Sven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll second that. Tried it on a Toshiba that they weren't supporting the
> upgrade on. Most stuff worked great, but the tablet specific buttons
> needed drivers that didn't exist, and little annoyances, like the screen
> not auto-rotating to portarait in tablet mode, made me re-store from the
> factory restore disks.
>
> "Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If the manufacturer does not support the upgrade, I wouldn't go there in
>> a million years. They won't help, and getting drivers to make the
>> machine perform properly with Vista may not be possible. Just stick with
>> what you've got unless any manufacturer says they support Vista.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Rich Raffenetti" <rich@raffenetti_takethisout.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Has anyone tried upgrading a Fujitsu tablet PC to Vista? Fujitsu
>>> doesn't provide support for upgrading but I wonder if Microsoft has
>>> included drivers in Vista which would support some/all of the Fujitsu
>>> tablet devices.
>>>
>>> I'm currently weaning myself from my T4010 tablet in favor of another
>>> desktop PC and will soon be in a position to either rebuild the XP
>>> Tablet with the support disks or install or upgrade to Vista. I'm
>>> wondering if trying Vista would be at all fruitful or an exercise in
>>> frustration.

Rainald Taesler

Rich Raffenetti wrote:

> Has anyone tried upgrading a Fujitsu tablet PC to Vista? Fujitsu
> doesn't provide support for upgrading but I wonder if Microsoft has
> included drivers in Vista which would support some/all of the
> Fujitsu tablet devices.

It's almost the same situation with *all* manufacturers as far as
"older" TabletPCs are concerned.
But it might be done with enough time for experiments and a lot if trial
& error (and heavy usage of system recovery).

> I'm currently weaning myself from my T4010 tablet in favor of
> another desktop PC and will soon be in a position to either rebuild
> the XP Tablet with the support disks or install or upgrade to
> Vista. I'm wondering if trying Vista would be at all fruitful or
> an exercise in frustration.

I was more then skeptical as to doing it with my good old HP tc1100. No
drivers at all offered by HP. But it came out to be a full success in
the end.
The key to the success was a fantastic write-up "HP/TC1100/Windows Vista
Installation Notes" by W Newquay
http://mobilepcwiki.com/mpc/index.ph..._Notes#_note-2
The references there were helpful too.
My tc1100 now does everything it should (no Aero, naturally, but I don't
need that), there are only some issues with some Bluetooth services
remaining.

And the result IMO was well worth the work.

I just think: If it can be done with a HP, why not with a Fujitsu?
I'd suggest that you'd carefully go through the said article (and the
other source referenced there) and then try things in a parallel way.

All the best
Rainald

rrod

I have the same fujitsu t4010 and i had Vista home prem it sucked i went back
to xp

"Rainald Taesler" wrote:

> Rich Raffenetti wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried upgrading a Fujitsu tablet PC to Vista? Fujitsu
> > doesn't provide support for upgrading but I wonder if Microsoft has
> > included drivers in Vista which would support some/all of the
> > Fujitsu tablet devices.

> It's almost the same situation with *all* manufacturers as far as
> "older" TabletPCs are concerned.
> But it might be done with enough time for experiments and a lot if trial
> & error (and heavy usage of system recovery).
>
> > I'm currently weaning myself from my T4010 tablet in favor of
> > another desktop PC and will soon be in a position to either rebuild
> > the XP Tablet with the support disks or install or upgrade to
> > Vista. I'm wondering if trying Vista would be at all fruitful or
> > an exercise in frustration.

> I was more then skeptical as to doing it with my good old HP tc1100. No
> drivers at all offered by HP. But it came out to be a full success in
> the end.
> The key to the success was a fantastic write-up "HP/TC1100/Windows Vista
> Installation Notes" by W Newquay
> http://mobilepcwiki.com/mpc/index.ph..._Notes#_note-2
> The references there were helpful too.
> My tc1100 now does everything it should (no Aero, naturally, but I don't
> need that), there are only some issues with some Bluetooth services
> remaining.
>
> And the result IMO was well worth the work.
>
> I just think: If it can be done with a HP, why not with a Fujitsu?
> I'd suggest that you'd carefully go through the said article (and the
> other source referenced there) and then try things in a parallel way.
>
> All the best
> Rainald

J Ray Nightcrawler

Rich, I am writing you now from an upgraded Fujitsu T4010D and it works
great. Running Vista Business!

Sven was right in the fact that there are a few missing drivers (duh) that
won't allow it to automatically rotate the screen and some other input
buttons (which I didn't use anyway). Not sure what rrod was referring to
because his post was so vague, but it doesn't suck at all and many people
just complain about 3rd party drivers and blame Microsoft. Dumb.

Things to consider: I have 1.5gb RAM, new 120HD (not required), and the
graphics will not allow Aero Experience. Overall, I am very happy with the
upgrade! Why spend life in the past when the future is here

Hope this helps!

PS. Let me know if you want to rid yourself of the Tablet! I love em!

J Ray Nightcrawler schrieb:

> Rich, I am writing you now from an upgraded Fujitsu T4010D and it
> works great. Running Vista Business!

Good news!

> Sven was right in the fact that there are a few missing drivers
> (duh) that won't allow it to automatically rotate the screen and
> some other input buttons (which I didn't use anyway).

I got all of this functionaltity ib my HP tc1100 by installing the
XP-drivers (installing the drivers *manually* and taking care of
"compatibility mode").

Things may be different with Fujitsu, but IMHO it be worth testing
things step by step.

Rainald