Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

What upgrade is this?

 
 
Wes Groleau
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2012, 02:06 AM
If I click "About this Mac" & "More info", I see that I am running
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50)

Software update says all my software is up-to-date.

But the app store wants me to "upgrade" OS X Lion, with no release notes
and no version number. I downloaded it (nearly an hour) and ran through
the first few screens of the installer (without actually installing) but
still no version number nor release notes.

--
Wes Groleau

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns
it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... He is full of
murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having
come by their ignorance the hard way.
— Kurt Vonnegut

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Empson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If I click "About this Mac" & "More info", I see that I am running
> Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50)
>
> Software update says all my software is up-to-date.
>
> But the app store wants me to "upgrade" OS X Lion, with no release notes
> and no version number. I downloaded it (nearly an hour) and ran through
> the first few screens of the installer (without actually installing) but
> still no version number nor release notes.


App Store offered to update your copy of the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
application. It is simply described as "Lion" on the App Store, but is
really the Lion installer.

After accepting that update from App Store, your copy of "Install Mac OS
X Lion" will have been updated so that if you use it again it will now
install 10.7.3 directly, rather than installing whichever older minor
version you had previously downloaded from App Store (and requiring a
subsequent update via Software update or other method to get to 10.7.3).

The Lion installer doesn't bother mentioning which minor version of Lion
it will install, as Apple expects that most people run it once and allow
it to be deleted automatically, rather than keep and reuse it.

The version number of the "Install Mac OS X Lion" application doesn't
directly relate to the version number of Lion it installs, but the
installer version number is incremented for each Lion minor version.
Version 1.0.16 of the application will install Mac OS X 10.7.3. The
detailed description on the App Store mentions the Lion minor version
number rather than the installer application version number.

If you want to avoid being notified by App Store about updates for your
"Install Mac OS X Lion" application but you do want to keep it, you need
to put it somewhere where Spotlight can't find it, e.g. a folder
excluded from Spotlight searches, inside a disk image (not mounted), or
on an external drive which is not normally connected.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wes Groleau
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2012, 03:12 AM
On 04-10-2012 02:17, David Empson wrote:
> After accepting that update from App Store, your copy of "Install Mac OS
> X Lion" will have been updated so that if you use it again it will now
> install 10.7.3 directly, rather than installing whichever older minor


Except that I didn't actually run it. However the fact that I _started_
to run it (but exited after a couple of steps caused the App store label
to change to "installed"

Now, the store isn't offering it and I have no idea where it was
downloaded to.

--
Wes Groleau

If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage.
But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine,
is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Empson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 04-10-2012 02:17, David Empson wrote:
> > After accepting that update from App Store, your copy of "Install Mac OS
> > X Lion" will have been updated so that if you use it again it will now
> > install 10.7.3 directly, rather than installing whichever older minor

>
> Except that I didn't actually run it.


Running the Lion installer has nothing to do with App Store updating it.

> However the fact that I _started_ to run it (but exited after a couple of
> steps caused the App store label to change to "installed"


The "Installed" indication just means that the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
application is on your computer. It doesn't indicate that you have run
it and installed Lion.

I'm running Snow Leopard, have "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" sitting in my
Applications folder, and my App Store says "Installed" next to "OS X
Lion" in my Purchases list.

> Now, the store isn't offering it and I have no idea where it was
> downloaded to.


If you are already running Lion, then the Purchases list in App Store
normally hides "OS X Lion". You can see it if you hold down the Option
key when clicking on Purchases in the toolbar (may have go to another
view first if Purchases is already the active view).

If it says "Download" then you don't have the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
application anywhere that Spotlight can find it.

If it says "Installed" then you have the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
application somewhere on your computer. Unfortunately App Store doesn't
offer a way to locate the installed application.

Use Spotlight to find "Install Mac OS X Lion". It will be there
somewhere, but might be in a strange location (possibly even in a
location which requires a Spotlight search via Finder with "System Files
are included").

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Wes Groleau
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2012, 03:59 AM
On 04-11-2012 05:12, David Empson wrote:
> If it says "Installed" then you have the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
> application somewhere on your computer. Unfortunately App Store doesn't
> offer a way to locate the installed application.


In the two locations where I had put it originally, I found 1.0.16.
Checking the Time Machine DB, I see that they were 1.0.13 two days ago.

So that part makes sense. But now what doesn't make sense is that if
that is for installing the version that was already running, why did it
not only download but also try to run?

--
Wes Groleau

“Statistics are like bikinis.
What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.”
— Aaron Levenstein

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Empson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 04-11-2012 05:12, David Empson wrote:
> > If it says "Installed" then you have the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
> > application somewhere on your computer. Unfortunately App Store doesn't
> > offer a way to locate the installed application.

>
> In the two locations where I had put it originally, I found 1.0.16.
> Checking the Time Machine DB, I see that they were 1.0.13 two days ago.
>
> So that part makes sense. But now what doesn't make sense is that if
> that is for installing the version that was already running, why did it
> not only download but also try to run?


On Snow Leopard, the Lion installer always runs automatically when
downloaded by App Store (unlike everything else).

Perhaps it does that even if you are already running Lion?

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Stiller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
In article <1kig7md.abv2lpk2lmpzN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 04-11-2012 05:12, David Empson wrote:
> > > If it says "Installed" then you have the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
> > > application somewhere on your computer. Unfortunately App Store doesn't
> > > offer a way to locate the installed application.

> >
> > In the two locations where I had put it originally, I found 1.0.16.
> > Checking the Time Machine DB, I see that they were 1.0.13 two days ago.
> >
> > So that part makes sense. But now what doesn't make sense is that if
> > that is for installing the version that was already running, why did it
> > not only download but also try to run?

>
> On Snow Leopard, the Lion installer always runs automatically when
> downloaded by App Store (unlike everything else).
>
> Perhaps it does that even if you are already running Lion?


Yes.

--
PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I Upgrade Vista with XP Pro "Upgrade" Version Nota Clu Dell 7 03-10-2007 11:05 PM
vista upgrade upgrade assistant? Tony Pacc Dell 1 03-05-2007 06:34 PM
To Upgrade or Not To Upgrade Asus Boards?? aj Asus 5 07-24-2005 02:35 AM
to upgrade or not to upgrade Brian Gotjunk Dell 13 03-03-2005 02:04 AM
Presario 1260 bios upgrade (was: Upgrade to Win 2k or XP fails/hangs) Tom Garcia Compaq 2 07-26-2004 01:51 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment