How to upgrade XP Pro to XP+Tablet?

damonjw

I have a computer with Windows XP Professional installed. I recently board a
SmartTech interactive whiteboard, which comes with some crummy software. I'd
like to use the Windows XP Tablet software instead.

How can I upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Tablet Edition? I can't
see any straightforward download on microsoft.com.

If it's any help, I am an MSDN subscriber (through my university), so it
seems I can download the Windows XP Tablet SDK. But I don't want an SDK, I
just want the software.

Thank you,
Damon.

Chris H

You should be able to access the XP Pro SP2 and Tablet PC Edition as part of
your subscription in MSDN, but I'm not so sure that would help you on the
unit because I doubt it supports that extra hardware. Experiment, of
course, because that's the purpose of the Microsoft Developer's Network
subscription. I just don't believe the results you're looking for will come
from that version of the Tablet PC Edition, unlike the capabilities of Vista
with the Tablet functionalities and external hardware support built in.

Otherwise, there is no commercial release of Windows XP Pro SP2 and the
Tablet PC Edition superset.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"damonjw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a computer with Windows XP Professional installed. I recently board
> SmartTech interactive whiteboard, which comes with some crummy software.
> I'd
> like to use the Windows XP Tablet software instead.
>
> How can I upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Tablet Edition? I can't
> see any straightforward download on microsoft.com.
>
> If it's any help, I am an MSDN subscriber (through my university), so it
> seems I can download the Windows XP Tablet SDK. But I don't want an SDK, I
> just want the software.
>
> Thank you,
> Damon.

Sir André

"damonjw" wrote:

> I have a computer with Windows XP Professional installed. I recently board a
> SmartTech interactive whiteboard, which comes with some crummy software. I'd
> like to use the Windows XP Tablet software instead.
>
> How can I upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Tablet Edition? I can't
> see any straightforward download on microsoft.com.
>
> If it's any help, I am an MSDN subscriber (through my university), so it
> seems I can download the Windows XP Tablet SDK. But I don't want an SDK, I
> just want the software.
>
> Thank you,
> Damon.

Sir André

Hey all,

I've got a similar situation, and here are the technical details:

OS: Windows XP Pro W/SP2
Hardware: Toshiba Protégé M400-EX5031 Tablet PC Capable (came w/Vista)
CPU: C2D 1.83
GHz RAM: 2048MB
HDD: 80GB NTFS, 15.46GB Free space

We have our campus volume license version of Win XP Tablet PC Edt 2005

I was hoping that I could simply login to our admin account on the Win XP
Pro w/SP2 tablet PC, then put the Tablet PC Edt CD in, and from there do an
upgrade. Unfortunately, I'm getting an error message copying the files as the
upgrade gets to the 51% stage. Here is the error message:

The file could not be copied atquad6os.sys to C:\$win_nt$.~tb\atquad6os.sys

"damonjw" wrote:

> I have a computer with Windows XP Professional installed. I recently board a
> SmartTech interactive whiteboard, which comes with some crummy software. I'd
> like to use the Windows XP Tablet software instead.
>
> How can I upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Tablet Edition? I can't
> see any straightforward download on microsoft.com.
>
> If it's any help, I am an MSDN subscriber (through my university), so it
> seems I can download the Windows XP Tablet SDK. But I don't want an SDK, I
> just want the software.
>
> Thank you,
> Damon.

Chris H

I'd check with whoever handles your campus IT department for their guidance.
If the machine came with Vista installed, you're going to be chasing drivers
that run under XP Pro anyway, so get the local professional involved.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
Associate Expert

"Sir André" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all,
>
> I've got a similar situation, and here are the technical details:
>
> OS: Windows XP Pro W/SP2
> Hardware: Toshiba Protégé M400-EX5031 Tablet PC Capable (came w/Vista)
> CPU: C2D 1.83
> GHz RAM: 2048MB
> HDD: 80GB NTFS, 15.46GB Free space
>
> We have our campus volume license version of Win XP Tablet PC Edt 2005
>
> I was hoping that I could simply login to our admin account on the Win XP
> Pro w/SP2 tablet PC, then put the Tablet PC Edt CD in, and from there do
> an
> upgrade. Unfortunately, I'm getting an error message copying the files as
> the
> upgrade gets to the 51% stage. Here is the error message:
>
> The file could not be copied atquad6os.sys to
> C:\$win_nt$.~tb\atquad6os.sys
>

> "damonjw" wrote:
>
>> I have a computer with Windows XP Professional installed. I recently
>> board a
>> SmartTech interactive whiteboard, which comes with some crummy software.
>> I'd
>> like to use the Windows XP Tablet software instead.
>>
>> How can I upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Tablet Edition? I can't
>> see any straightforward download on microsoft.com.
>>
>> If it's any help, I am an MSDN subscriber (through my university), so it
>> seems I can download the Windows XP Tablet SDK. But I don't want an SDK,
>> just want the software.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Damon.

Sir André

Thanks Chris,

The reason I'm doing this is to preserve the 20 hours of teching done on the
tablet (i.e. preserving programs, drivers, etc....). I'm am one of the IT
department techs. & I did manage to get this to work. I ended up booting off
the CD, feed it the RAID AHCI mobile drivers (F6 Disk) which is needed for
doing a repair (the 2nd option, not the first one). About an hour later, I
was on my way to the loggin screen.

At this point, I'm currently doing MS Updates as we speak. WGAVT update was
giving me futs, but I got around that. ePO client did not want to install,
got around that too. If you like, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

P.S.
The touchscreen & writing recognition works, but having issues getting the
touchscreen keyboard to display. Any suggestions? I

"Chris H" wrote:

> I'd check with whoever handles your campus IT department for their guidance.
> If the machine came with Vista installed, you're going to be chasing drivers
> that run under XP Pro anyway, so get the local professional involved.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
> Associate Expert
>
> "Sir André" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've got a similar situation, and here are the technical details:
> >
> > OS: Windows XP Pro W/SP2
> > Hardware: Toshiba Protégé M400-EX5031 Tablet PC Capable (came w/Vista)
> > CPU: C2D 1.83
> > GHz RAM: 2048MB
> > HDD: 80GB NTFS, 15.46GB Free space
> >
> > We have our campus volume license version of Win XP Tablet PC Edt 2005
> >
> > I was hoping that I could simply login to our admin account on the Win XP
> > Pro w/SP2 tablet PC, then put the Tablet PC Edt CD in, and from there do
> > an
> > upgrade. Unfortunately, I'm getting an error message copying the files as
> > the
> > upgrade gets to the 51% stage. Here is the error message:
> >
> > The file could not be copied atquad6os.sys to
> > C:\$win_nt$.~tb\atquad6os.sys
> >

> > "damonjw" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a computer with Windows XP Professional installed. I recently
> >> board a
> >> SmartTech interactive whiteboard, which comes with some crummy software.
> >> I'd
> >> like to use the Windows XP Tablet software instead.
> >>
> >> How can I upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Tablet Edition? I can't
> >> see any straightforward download on microsoft.com.
> >>
> >> If it's any help, I am an MSDN subscriber (through my university), so it
> >> seems I can download the Windows XP Tablet SDK. But I don't want an SDK,
> >> just want the software.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Damon.

Chris H

My brain isn't exactly in gear yet this morning. Is the path to launch the
keyboard correct? Might want to search for the exe file from the link and
make sure it exists.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
Associate Expert

"Sir André" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Chris,
>
> The reason I'm doing this is to preserve the 20 hours of teching done on
> the
> tablet (i.e. preserving programs, drivers, etc....). I'm am one of the IT
> department techs. & I did manage to get this to work. I ended up booting
> off
> the CD, feed it the RAID AHCI mobile drivers (F6 Disk) which is needed for
> doing a repair (the 2nd option, not the first one). About an hour later, I
> was on my way to the loggin screen.
>
> At this point, I'm currently doing MS Updates as we speak. WGAVT update
> was
> giving me futs, but I got around that. ePO client did not want to install,
> got around that too. If you like, I'll keep you posted on my progress.
>
> P.S.
> The touchscreen & writing recognition works, but having issues getting the
> touchscreen keyboard to display. Any suggestions? I
>
> "Chris H" wrote:
>
>> I'd check with whoever handles your campus IT department for their
>> guidance.
>> If the machine came with Vista installed, you're going to be chasing
>> drivers
>> that run under XP Pro anyway, so get the local professional involved.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Sir André" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hey all,
>> >
>> > I've got a similar situation, and here are the technical details:
>> >
>> > OS: Windows XP Pro W/SP2
>> > Hardware: Toshiba Protégé M400-EX5031 Tablet PC Capable (came w/Vista)
>> > CPU: C2D 1.83
>> > GHz RAM: 2048MB
>> > HDD: 80GB NTFS, 15.46GB Free space
>> >
>> > We have our campus volume license version of Win XP Tablet PC Edt 2005
>> >
>> > I was hoping that I could simply login to our admin account on the Win
>> > XP
>> > Pro w/SP2 tablet PC, then put the Tablet PC Edt CD in, and from there
>> > do
>> > an
>> > upgrade. Unfortunately, I'm getting an error message copying the files
>> > as
>> > the
>> > upgrade gets to the 51% stage. Here is the error message:
>> >
>> > The file could not be copied atquad6os.sys to
>> > C:\$win_nt$.~tb\atquad6os.sys

Sir André

I can't install the remaining of 93 updates. However, I got the touchpad
keyboard working by trying to reinstall Win XP SP2 where it said it was
partially installed. Now I still can't install the remaining updates 82
updates, so I tried installing Win XP SP3 RC2 . I'm down to 8 updates now,
but I had to leave the tablet scheduled to do the WAU for tonight. Will see
what happens in the morning. I don't like the new Windows Update
troubleshooter, very general and it did not like my search term "updates
failed" which it found nothing.

Andre

alanrodrick@ntlworld.com