Upgraded from 10.3.8 to 10.3.9 now my dial-up connects slower.

mbacas@gmail.com

Before 10.3.9 I would usually connect around 48k @ home and 52k @
office. Now I'm lucky if I connect at 31k. I often connect @ 28.8k.
Occasionally I'll connect at 38k. I've even signed up for another
dial-up ISP to see if that made a difference and installed AOL software
to see. All with the same results of connecting at a slower speed than
before 10.3.9.

I can take the phone cord out of my iBook G4 and plug it into my Win XP
box and connect at 53k everytime.

This little detail in the 10.3.9 update concerns me:
================
Adds an "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.32)" modem choice that you can use
if you have difficulty using Verizon's Airfone Jet Connect service.
================

Am I the only one that uses dial-up service anymore?

I guess I'm surprised this is only happening to me. Is anyone else
having a similar problem?

- Mark

mbacas@gmail.com

Okay, I'm new to Macs. Got mine in November last year. How does one
revert to previous version?

I was at an Apple Store yesterday and the Genius told me I couldn't. He
also said it's probably just something with the lines or the ISP, etc.

- Mark

Phil Stripling

> Am I the only one that uses dial-up service anymore?

Probably.

> I guess I'm surprised this is only happening to me. Is anyone else
> having a similar problem?

Not since you're the only modem user. :->

Did you either copy down your modem settings from the earlier version of
the OS or take a screenshot of your settings? If so, compare and contrast
the settings after the upgrade.

On the reversion to an earlier version, you may do so if you wish. Just
reinstall your older system from the CDs that came with your computer. Boot
from the install CD by holding down the c key as you reboot. It takes
longer to boot from the CD, so hold it down and be patient. The follow the
install instructions. It's easy, but takes a half or three-quarters of an
hour.

mbacas@gmail.com

Yes, I'd rather fix the modem issue. I've tried every Apple Internal
modem script listed. V.32, V.34, V.90, V.92.

I've tried these with and without error correction and compression
turned on.

I've tried about 20 different numbers for the ISP in my area.

I've tried 2 different ISPs and AOL.

I guess something unrelated could've caused the slow down. Just not
sure where to look. I really wish there was an easy way to tell if it's
my modem, the OS or the ISP.

Well, the fact that I still connect at 53k on my Win XP box and I use
to connect around that speed on my Mac, leads me to believe the issue
is somewhere in the Mac and any recent updates I might of done. Any
ideas on what other than an OS update might cause this modem connection
issue?

- Mark

Phil Stripling

> ideas on what other than an OS update might cause this modem connection
> issue?

Look at your settings and see if anything changed.

mbacas@gmail.com

If you are referring to my modem settings. They had not changed. I've
always used the default of "Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.92)". I had
never modified anything from default and only needed to put the phone
number, my ISP account name and ISP password.

I guess I have a question for others. Has anyone upgraded to 10.3.9
that uses dial-up and "doesn't" have this issue?

- Mark

mbacas@gmail.com

>Still, might make more sense to just fix the modem issue. Possibly
>you're using the wrong modem script. Or by sheer coincidence just when

>you upgraded to 10.3.9 something utterkly unrelated started slowing

your
>PPP connection down.

Guess I find it interesting that an update where Apple adds a "modem
script" my dial-up connection is affected.

- Mark

Chris Moore

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Madwen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Before 10.3.9 I would usually connect around 48k @ home and 52k @
> > office. Now I'm lucky if I connect at 31k.

> Egad, this has to be about the 15th significant problem I've seen with
> 10.3.9. And I am soooo glad that my download failed and that I did not
> install that behemoth! I think I'll be staying with 10.3.8 until all
> the reports on Tiger are good. Some people are reverting; you might
> wish to consider that.

Not too many people come here wondering why their machine is running
good after an update =). I did my home computer Saturday without
incident. I had 50+ computers turn themselves on in the wee hours of
Sunday morning and do their own updates and didn't have any update
related calls in the last two days.

It's like Windows XP SP 2. You've heard all the horror stories about
that upgrade. I did close to 200 PC's without a hitch. If a computer is
in good condition going into an upgrade it's likely that it will be in
good condition coming out. A slight problem, even one your unaware of,
and the computer could be toast afterwards. And this is the place to
come to state the problem.

mbacas@gmail.com

So, when you say you did your computer at home without incident, did
you upgraded to 10.3.9 and you are using a dial-up connection and
weren't effected?

- Mark

Chris Moore

<"(E-Mail Removed)"> wrote:

> So, when you say you did your computer at home without incident, did
> you upgraded to 10.3.9 and you are using a dial-up connection and
> weren't effected?

I assume your directing the question to me though you didn't quote the
text. No, none of the upgraded computers have dial up. Though I was
talking about updates in general, in response to a post about updates
in general. Don't let the subject line fool you =).