Upgraded from 10.3.8 to 10.3.9 now my dial-up connects slower.

Mark Bacas

Found the update to get to just 10.3.8

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...1038combo.html

- Mark

Ilgaz

On 2005-04-19 23:22:55 +0300, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Before 10.3.9 I would usually connect around 48k @ home and 52k @
> office. Now I'm lucky if I connect at 31k. I often connect @ 28.8k.
> Occasionally I'll connect at 38k. I've even signed up for another
> dial-up ISP to see if that made a difference and installed AOL software
> to see. All with the same results of connecting at a slower speed than
> before 10.3.9.
>
> I can take the phone cord out of my iBook G4 and plug it into my Win XP
> box and connect at 53k everytime.
>
> This little detail in the 10.3.9 update concerns me:
> ================
> Adds an "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.32)" modem choice that you can use
> if you have difficulty using Verizon's Airfone Jet Connect service.
> ================
>
> Am I the only one that uses dial-up service anymore?
>
> I guess I'm surprised this is only happening to me. Is anyone else
> having a similar problem?
>
> - Mark

While I was using 56k, Apple built in modems built in scripts made me
mad and I purchased MacAra modem scripts.

Their page may look awful but they know how modems work for sure

Can look pricey, I don't know.. If interested, drop mail and I send url

Ilgaz

Mark Bacas

> You could try re-upgrading to 10.3.9 using the combo updater. There
> have been many citations since OS X 10.2.x that using the combo

updater
> solves many problems that were encountered using just the point

updater.

Yep, tried that too, twice.

Once before my OS reinstall and once after.

I did another reinstall and loaded the 10.3.8 combo installer and I'm
connecting at my usual 48k here at home.

- Mark

Mark Bacas

> Installing a new modem script would have no more chance of corrupting
> other modem scripts than creating a new text document on the Desktop
> would have a chance of corrupting other text documents on the

Desktop.
> As for overwriting other modem scripts, remember that a file can only
> overwrite a file of the same name.

What if in the 10.3.9 package they modified the Apple Script for the
v.92 modem to create the new script but forgot to delete it and had one
that had the wrong script information in it that then overwrote the old
one?

> Just use the Finder to navigate to /System/Library/Modem Scripts.

Drag
> the file to the Trash. You will be prompted for your administrative
> password.

I guess what I could do now is copy to the desktop the v.92 script that
I guess I'm using when I select that modem from the list. Then install
10.3.9 and compare the 2 scripts. Just not sure I'm upto another OS
installation.

- Mark