Upgraded CPU with mixed results

MikeG

AV8 3rd eye, changed the cpu from a x64 3000 to a x64 x2 3800. Is there
anything that I have to change to finish this installation. It seems quite
a bit slower than the older "slower" cpu. I have loaded optimized settings
in the bios and have moved the cpu speed to 220 x10 = 2200. I can see both
cpu's are working normal in the device manager. CPU temp is 102F with bios
27. TIA

Dylan C

MikeG wrote:
> AV8 3rd eye, changed the cpu from a x64 3000 to a x64 x2 3800. Is there
> anything that I have to change to finish this installation. It seems quite
> a bit slower than the older "slower" cpu. I have loaded optimized settings
> in the bios and have moved the cpu speed to 220 x10 = 2200. I can see both
> cpu's are working normal in the device manager. CPU temp is 102F with bios
> 27. TIA

Do both cores show up under the 'performance' tab in Task manager?
Maybe windows sees both, but is only using one.

-Dylan C

MikeG

In task manager/performance there are two windows showing, cpu usage is
different visually

"Dylan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MikeG wrote:
>> AV8 3rd eye, changed the cpu from a x64 3000 to a x64 x2 3800. Is there
>> anything that I have to change to finish this installation. It seems
>> quite a bit slower than the older "slower" cpu. I have loaded optimized
>> settings in the bios and have moved the cpu speed to 220 x10 = 2200. I
>> can see both cpu's are working normal in the device manager. CPU temp
>> is 102F with bios 27. TIA

> Do both cores show up under the 'performance' tab in Task manager? Maybe
> windows sees both, but is only using one.
>
> -Dylan C

Paul

MikeG wrote:
> In task manager/performance there are two windows showing, cpu usage is
> different visually

There is some stuff here you could read.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=81429

With dual cores, processes can migrate from core to core.
With Cool N' Quiet, the FID/VID values change with time,
according to CPU load. A dual can be a more dynamic environment,
and needs a bit of tweaking, to make sure it and the OS are
working as best possible. Without tweaking, there can
be stuttering in games.

Also, there are some games that benefit from setting the
affinity. It is possible to launch a task, such that is
stays put on one core. There are tools you can use, to
set the affinity, by means of modifying the shortcut
used to launch the program. I believe there is also
supposed to be a way of doing that from the Task Manager,
once a task is running.

This is an example of a tool for launching other programs,
and when launched, the task affinity is set to one of the
two cores. I believe there are a number of programs
like this.

There is a bit to read on the subject, and I don't keep
track of all the latest tricks, as I still live in
a single core world.

Paul

> "Dylan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> MikeG wrote:
>>> AV8 3rd eye, changed the cpu from a x64 3000 to a x64 x2 3800. Is there
>>> anything that I have to change to finish this installation. It seems
>>> quite a bit slower than the older "slower" cpu. I have loaded optimized
>>> settings in the bios and have moved the cpu speed to 220 x10 = 2200. I
>>> can see both cpu's are working normal in the device manager. CPU temp
>>> is 102F with bios 27. TIA

>> Do both cores show up under the 'performance' tab in Task manager? Maybe
>> windows sees both, but is only using one.
>>
>> -Dylan C

MikeG

Tx Paul....I'll be reading for the next hour or 2.

news:ejh3jp$csd$(E-Mail Removed)...