upgrading and cpu sockets

David Richard Larochelle

I'm hoping to upgrade the cpu on a low end system that I have. I want to
avoid replacing the mother board if possible.

The system currently has a celeron 433 (socket 370) running on a slot 1
mother board viva an adaptor.

The mother board is an Abit be6 with a 100 mhz bus.

I'm confused about what cpus would be compatible with my system.

In particular there seems to be a bunch of different but incompatible
socket 370 standards.

Also what happens if you put a cpu with a 133 bus on a 100 bus system?

I've goolged this and came up empty. I would appreciate any information or
pointers to web resources.

Thanks in advance.

David Wang

David Richard Larochelle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm hoping to upgrade the cpu on a low end system that I have. I want to
> avoid replacing the mother board if possible.

> The system currently has a celeron 433 (socket 370) running on a slot 1
> mother board viva an adaptor.

Try Powerleap.

www.powerleap.com

--
davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com

David Richard Larochelle

Interesting site.

I like to idea of the adaptors that will let newer processors work in a
slot 1 system but I though they were a bit over priced.

Dropping $100+ on an adaptor so that I can avoid buying a $40 mother board
seems a bit silly.

--
David

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, David Wang wrote:

> David Richard Larochelle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm hoping to upgrade the cpu on a low end system that I have. I want to
> > avoid replacing the mother board if possible.

> > The system currently has a celeron 433 (socket 370) running on a slot 1
> > mother board viva an adaptor.

> Try Powerleap.
>
> www.powerleap.com
>

> --
> davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com

GHalleck

David Richard Larochelle wrote:

> Interesting site.
>
> I like to idea of the adaptors that will let newer processors work in a
> slot 1 system but I though they were a bit over priced.
>
> Dropping $100+ on an adaptor so that I can avoid buying a $40 mother board
> seems a bit silly.
>
> --
> David

True. But the CPU upgrade path is no longer simple nor beneficial to the
consumer. This clearly evident in moving from, for example, Socket-7 to
Slot-1 to Socket 370, and so on. It was recently written that the life of a
computer and components are around 3 years before it is replaced. Look
at the Intel P4 family, from Tualatin to Northwood and now, Canterwood,
in approximately the same 3-year span. But, on the good news side, the
overall price for computer systems are still decreasing...more bang for the
bucks.

pass

For 100MHz bus, a Celeron 1.4GHz I think. I can't promise you though.

Never rely on Intel for a stable upgrade path. They change sockets and
voltages all the time. You'll usually either have to buy a new motherboard or
an adapter to upgrade any Intel system.

Upgrading memory in GA 8KNXP rev2. Which sockets? Brian Griffin Gigabyte 3 04-02-2009 11:19 AM
URGENT: A Question about ZIF and Master Sockets hassanishome Embedded 1 03-25-2007 07:31 PM
Shock and Vibration specs of SD and Micro SD sockets ? Anton Erasmus Embedded 7 02-16-2007 01:37 PM
Sockets A... etc. Morgan Ohlson Abit 15 12-15-2004 08:31 PM
Abit VP6 - SMT devices around CPU sockets Rohan Beckles Abit 5 08-04-2004 12:03 AM