Upgrading BIOS on a ASUS PC4800 Deluxe Motherboard

Larry Jones

Help! Just bought a P4 3.20E processor to replace a P4 2.60GHz. I
found out that I have to upgrade the bios to use the new processor. I've
downloaded the upgrade files from ASUS website (AFUDOS211.zip and
P4c1019.zip). but can't find any instructions for the procedure! Please
Help.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0615-0, 04/08/2006
Tested on: 4/8/2006 11:36:06 PM

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Larry Jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Help! Just bought a P4 3.20E processor to replace a P4 2.60GHz. I
> found out that I have to upgrade the bios to use the new processor. I've
> downloaded the upgrade files from ASUS website (AFUDOS211.zip and
> P4c1019.zip). but can't find any instructions for the procedure! Please
> Help.

You have your choice.

There is an AFUDOS procedure in the TechnicalDocuments section
of the support.asus.com.tw site.

http://support.asus.com.tw/technical...e=en-us&NO=546

Your user manual should also contain a procedure. Chapter 4
contains procedures for flashing. Section 4.1.2 "Using AFUDOS
to update the BIOS", is basically the same content as the
above technical document entry.

I would recommend backing up the current BIOS on a floppy.
If the BIOS is large enough, you may have to do this on
a second floppy.

In AFUDOS 2.19, I see this as the command line options.
The "o" option allows you to dump the current BIOS to floppy.
I would try the command with no /i option, to make just
the backup. I have included both options here, but there
might not be room on the floppy to do all of this, and
we don't want any "accidents".

Usage: AFUDOS /iP4C800.ROM /oBACKUP.ROM

Asus may have modified the code, by putting its own wrapper
around it. This document can show you some other options.
Generally speaking, you don't want to attack the boot
block, as recovery from a bad flash isn't going to work
if the boot block is erased but not reprogrammed. This
document would be describing what AMI passes to Asus, and
not what Asus gives us.

http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBI...epaper_v10.pdf

Slapping /pc on the end of the command, would erase the CMOS,
which in theory is the equivalent of clearing the CMOS
with the jumper. This was in the readme file that accompanied
AFUDOS 219 zip file. Is it absolutely essential ? Who knows.

AFUDOS /iP4C800.ROM /pc

Have fun,
Paul

Mistoffolees

Larry Jones wrote:

> Help! Just bought a P4 3.20E processor to replace a P4 2.60GHz. I
> found out that I have to upgrade the bios to use the new processor. I've
> downloaded the upgrade files from ASUS website (AFUDOS211.zip and
> P4c1019.zip). but can't find any instructions for the procedure! Please
> Help.

A still easier method might be to use the ASUS EZ Flash
method. Look it up in Chapter 4 of the P4C800 manual. If
no manual, download a copy from the ASUS website...always
good to have handy.

Regardless of the method used, remember to re-configure
the bios after flashing. Flashing puts the bios into a
default state.