Upgrading Dell Studio XPS 8000 Desktops' 3 GB to more with only one free memory slot #4.

Ant

Hello.

Others and I would like to add more free memory to our Dell Studio XPS
8000 Desktops (manufactured on 2009-11-14) that currently have 3 GB of
RAM and 64-bit Windows 7 HP. Will adding 1, 2, or 4 (most likely) GB be
any problems from Dell's memory upgrades as shown on
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...&advsrch=False
? This would be added to the current 3 GB into the empty memory slot #4.
I read a forum thread that people had problems seeing all the installed
RAM and had to replace motherboards/mobos., swap memories, etc.

Thank you in advance.
--
Quote of the Week: "The foreign policy aim of ants can be summed up as
follows: restless aggression, territorial conquest, and genocidal

Ant

No feedbacks?

FYI on my current PC's hardware setup from hwinfo32 v3.73:
http://pastie.org/private/hv3zdo6zwkfkh4daydm30w and
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/32d4c8e806.gif ... I am using
whatever settings that I got from this PC back in end of 2009.

--
Quote of the Week: "When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had
been eaten by ants and of which nothing remained except the shell.
/\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| |
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

Joe M

"Ant" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

--

It is my understanding that RAM works best in matched pairs.
For the money, I would shop at a place like www.crucial.com where 2 x 4Gb

Ben Myers

On May 3, 1:23*am, "Joe M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Ant" *wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
> Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hello.
> > Others and I would like to add more free memory to our Dell Studio XPS
> > 8000 Desktops (manufactured on 2009-11-14) that currently have 3 GB of
> > RAM and 64-bit Windows 7 HP. Will adding 1, 2, or 4 (most likely) GB be
> > any problems from Dell's memory upgrades as shown on
> >http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...=2999&cs=04&k=...
> > ? This would be added to the current 3 GB into the empty memory slot #4..
> > I read a forum thread that people had problems seeing all the installed
> > RAM and had to replace motherboards/mobos., swap memories, etc.
> > Thank you in advance.

> --
>
> It is my understanding that RAM works best in matched pairs.
> For the money, I would shop at a place likewww.crucial.comwhere 2 x 4Gb
> (total 8Gb) can be had for about US$100.

Its not even a matter of "works best." Modern motherboards with a
setup of 4 memory slots (DDR2 or DDR3) pretty much demand it. In my
experience, the matching must be exact for reliable operation. Same
brand. Same timing. Same part number, namely the string of letters,
numbers and hyphens marked on the label. Different manufacturing
dates are OK.

I have tried apparently matched memory, i.e. same technical specs,
from different manufacturers with often unpleasant results like
beeping during POST or failures running a version of MEMTEST-86... Ben
Myers

Ant

On 5/3/2011 7:01 AM PT, Ben Myers typed:

>>> Others and I would like to add more free memory to our Dell Studio XPS
>>> 8000 Desktops (manufactured on 2009-11-14) that currently have 3 GB of
>>> RAM and 64-bit Windows 7 HP. Will adding 1, 2, or 4 (most likely) GB be
>>> any problems from Dell's memory upgrades as shown on
>>> http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...=2999&cs=04&k=...
>>> ? This would be added to the current 3 GB into the empty memory slot #4.
>>> I read a forum thread that people had problems seeing all the installed
>>> RAM and had to replace motherboards/mobos., swap memories, etc.
>>> Thank you in advance.

>> It is my understanding that RAM works best in matched pairs.
>> For the money, I would shop at a place likewww.crucial.comwhere 2 x 4Gb
>> (total 8Gb) can be had for about US$100.

> Its not even a matter of "works best." Modern motherboards with a
> setup of 4 memory slots (DDR2 or DDR3) pretty much demand it. In my
> experience, the matching must be exact for reliable operation. Same
> brand. Same timing. Same part number, namely the string of letters,
> numbers and hyphens marked on the label. Different manufacturing
> dates are OK.
>
> I have tried apparently matched memory, i.e. same technical specs,
> from different manufacturers with often unpleasant results like
> beeping during POST or failures running a version of MEMTEST-86... Ben
> Myers

That sucks. So we will have toss my current three 1 GB and buy new ones?
Ugh. Maybe I could give my one GB pices to my co-workers if they only
need 4 GB of RAM to fill their slot #4s. Does it going from 3 to 4 GB
make big differences in 64-bit Windows 7 HP with VMware Workstations
v7.x (32-bit XP to 64-bit W7)? And yes, we do heavy multitasking with
other programs like Outlook 2007, web browsers, etc.
--
"Really. And do these lions eat ants?" --John Cleese in Monty Python's
Flying Circus

Ben Myers

On May 4, 10:25*am, Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/3/2011 7:01 AM PT, Ben Myers typed:

> >> It is my understanding that RAM works best in matched pairs.
> >> For the money, I would shop at a place likewww.crucial.comwhere2 x 4Gb
> >> (total 8Gb) can be had for about US$100.

> > Its not even a matter of "works best." * Modern motherboards with a
> > setup of 4 memory slots (DDR2 or DDR3) pretty much demand it. *In my
> > experience, the matching must be exact for reliable operation. *Same
> > brand. *Same timing. *Same part number, namely the string of letters,
> > numbers and hyphens marked on the label. *Different manufacturing
> > dates are OK.

> > I have tried apparently matched memory, i.e. same technical specs,
> > from different manufacturers with often unpleasant results like
> > beeping during POST or failures running a version of MEMTEST-86... Ben
> > Myers

> That sucks. So we will have toss my current three 1 GB and buy new ones?
> Ugh. Maybe I could give my one GB pices to my co-workers if they only
> need 4 GB of RAM to fill their slot #4s. Does it going from 3 to 4 GB
> make big differences in 64-bit Windows 7 HP with VMware Workstations
> v7.x (32-bit XP to 64-bit W7)? And yes, we do heavy multitasking with
> other programs like Outlook 2007, web browsers, etc.
> --
> "Really. And do these lions eat ants?" --John Cleese in Monty Python's
> Flying Circus
> * * /\___/\ * * * * * * * Ant @http://antfarm.ma.cx(Personal Web Site)
> * */ /\ /\ \ * * * * * * * *Ant's Quality Foraged Links:http://aqfl.net
> * | |o * o| |
> * * *\ _ / * * * *If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
> * * * ( ) * * * * If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.

I'm assuming that at least two of the three 1GB sticks in the system
now are an exact match. You could always find an exact match for the
3rd one, and end up with 4GB.

The caveats about exact matching memory are best summarized as
follows: if you install memory in non-matched pairs, a system may
work reliably. Or it may not. if it does not, well, that's what
hapens when one disregards a caveat.

Then there was Dick Caveat who competed against Johnny Carson for late
night prominence.

And, yes, 1GB more of memory can definitely make a difference with the
workload you describe. But, seriously, why stop at 4GB with 64-bit
Windows? Go for 8GB, which makes for a mighty smooth running system
under most conditions.. Ben Myers

Ant

On 5/4/2011 12:04 PM PT, Ben Myers typed:

> I'm assuming that at least two of the three 1GB sticks in the system
> now are an exact match. You could always find an exact match for the
> 3rd one, and end up with 4GB.

FYI on my current PC's hardware setup from hwinfo32 v3.73:
http://pastie.org/private/hv3zdo6zwkfkh4daydm30w and
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/32d4c8e806.gif ... I am using
whatever parts and settings that I got from this PC back in end of 2009.

> The caveats about exact matching memory are best summarized as
> follows: if you install memory in non-matched pairs, a system may
> work reliably. Or it may not. if it does not, well, that's what
> hapens when one disregards a caveat.
>
> Then there was Dick Caveat who competed against Johnny Carson for late
> night prominence.
>
> And, yes, 1GB more of memory can definitely make a difference with the
> workload you describe. But, seriously, why stop at 4GB with 64-bit
> Windows? Go for 8GB, which makes for a mighty smooth running system
> under most conditions.. Ben Myers

I was hoping I can keep my old three 1 GB of RAM and add 4 GB to it to
make it 7 GB in total. :/
--
"The evaluator counts the ants at the picnic of progress." --Mohan Singh

On May 6, 6:15*am, Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/4/2011 12:04 PM PT, Ben Myers typed:
>
> > I'm assuming that at least two of the three 1GB sticks in the system
> > now are an exact match. *You could always find an exact match for the
> > 3rd one, and end up with 4GB.

> FYI on my current PC's hardware setup from hwinfo32 v3.73:http://pastie.org/private/hv3zdo6zwk...32d4c8e806.gif... I am using
> whatever parts and settings that I got from this PC back in end of 2009.
>
> > The caveats about exact matching memory are best summarized as
> > follows: *if you install memory in non-matched pairs, a system may
> > work reliably. *Or it may not. *if it does not, well, that's what
> > hapens when one disregards a caveat.

> > Then there was Dick Caveat who competed against Johnny Carson for late
> > night prominence.

> > And, yes, 1GB more of memory can definitely make a difference with the
> > workload you describe. *But, seriously, why stop at 4GB with 64-bit
> > Windows? *Go for 8GB, which makes for a mighty smooth running system
> > under most conditions.. Ben Myers

> I was hoping I can keep my old three 1 GB of RAM and add 4 GB to it to
> make it 7 GB in total. :/
> --
> "The evaluator counts the ants at the picnic of progress." --Mohan Singh
> * * /\___/\ * * * * * * * Ant @http://antfarm.ma.cx(Personal Web Site)
> * */ /\ /\ \ * * * * * * * *Ant's Quality Foraged Links:http://aqfl.net
> * | |o * o| |
> * * *\ _ / * * * *If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
> * * * ( ) * * * * If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.

Not sure if 4GB+3x1GB will work. Only way to find out is to try it.
Also, check whatever specs Dell has for the beast on its web site.
2x4GB + 2x1GB would be nice... Ben Myers

Ant

> > > I'm assuming that at least two of the three 1GB sticks in the system
> > > now are an exact match. *You could always find an exact match for the
> > > 3rd one, and end up with 4GB.

> > FYI on my current PC's hardware setup from hwinfo32 v3.73:http://pastie.org/private/hv3zdo6zwk...32d4c8e806.gif... I am using
> > whatever parts and settings that I got from this PC back in end of 2009.
> >
> > > The caveats about exact matching memory are best summarized as
> > > follows: *if you install memory in non-matched pairs, a system may
> > > work reliably. *Or it may not. *if it does not, well, that's what
> > > hapens when one disregards a caveat.

> > > Then there was Dick Caveat who competed against Johnny Carson for late
> > > night prominence.

> > > And, yes, 1GB more of memory can definitely make a difference with the
> > > workload you describe. *But, seriously, why stop at 4GB with 64-bit
> > > Windows? *Go for 8GB, which makes for a mighty smooth running system
> > > under most conditions.. Ben Myers

> > I was hoping I can keep my old three 1 GB of RAM and add 4 GB to it to
> > make it 7 GB in total. :/

> Not sure if 4GB+3x1GB will work. Only way to find out is to try it.
> Also, check whatever specs Dell has for the beast on its web site.
> 2x4GB + 2x1GB would be nice... Ben Myers

I wasn't able to find web pages about the memory configurations. I did
ask in its forum a while ago. According a Dell guy in my
http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19863172.aspx
forum post/thread, I cannot use 2 or 4 GB into the fourth slot due to
incompatibilies:

"So you currently have three 1GB sticks in there? If yes, adding an
identical 1GB stick into slot 4 will work. The only configurations using
4GB sticks are as follows -
Slot 1 4GB, Slot 2 4GB = 8GB

Slot 1 4GB, Slot 2 4GB, Slot 3 2GB, Slot 4 2GB = 12GB

Slot 1 4GB, Slot 2 4GB, Slot 3 4GB, Slot 4 4GB = 16GB"

Why is that?

Someone else also said I could use Crucial's brand too:
http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compa...8000/list.html
Quote of the Week: "When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had
been eaten by ants and of which nothing remained except the shell.
Through the holes in its anatomy one could see the sky. Every time I
wish to attain purity I look at the sky through flesh." --Salvadore Dali
/\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| |
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

Ant

> > > FYI on my current PC's hardware setup from hwinfo32 v3.73:http://pastie.org/private/hv3zdo6zwk...32d4c8e806.gif... I am using
> > > whatever parts and settings that I got from this PC back in end of 2009.

> > > I was hoping I can keep my old three 1 GB of RAM and add 4 GB to it to
> > > make it 7 GB in total. :/

> > Not sure if 4GB+3x1GB will work. Only way to find out is to try it.
> > Also, check whatever specs Dell has for the beast on its web site.
> > 2x4GB + 2x1GB would be nice... Ben Myers

> I wasn't able to find web pages about the memory configurations. I did
> ask in its forum a while ago. According a Dell guy in my
> http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19863172.aspx
> forum post/thread, I cannot use 2 or 4 GB into the fourth slot due to
> incompatibilies:

> "So you currently have three 1GB sticks in there? If yes, adding an
> identical 1GB stick into slot 4 will work. The only configurations using
> 4GB sticks are as follows -
> Slot 1 4GB, Slot 2 4GB = 8GB

> Slot 1 4GB, Slot 2 4GB, Slot 3 2GB, Slot 4 2GB = 12GB

> Slot 1 4GB, Slot 2 4GB, Slot 3 4GB, Slot 4 4GB = 16GB"

> Why is that?

> Someone else also said I could use Crucial's brand too:
> http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compa...8000/list.html

I am confused with the memory timings. I noticed our current RAM use
PC3-8500F (533 Mhz). Does this mean I only can order these Crucial
brands: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...6C7C5FA5CA7304
that are DDR3 PC3-8500? That's the only Crucial brand option is for two
2 GB so I would only be able to max out at 8 GB total with four pieces
for each memory slot. So, that's about $191.96 per person. Does this
sound right? Or can I use other memory speeds? I am not a hardware
expert.
--
Quote of the Week: "You'd think we could just attract ants like normal
people." --Wolverine (X-Men:TAS)