Upgrading from Dimension 4600i

Lorne Oliver

Hi group,
This is my first post here. I have done a search on this topic but all
replies found are long out of date. Here are the specs of my current
system:

Dell Dimension 4600i 3.06 GHz on M/B: Dell 0F4491
RAM: 1 GB
O/S: Windows XP SP-2
Video: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB
Sound: Creative Live! SB series
PSU: 250 watts
Drives: 3 x 80 GB internal, 1x 200GB external
CD R/W (internal) DVD R/W (external)
Other Misc: CDMA USB Modem for ADSL and Digital Video capture card

I saw the dual graphics card options on the new XPS on offer at DELL
and started drooling. This is a home computer, mainly used for P2P,
DVD, video editing, and gaming. Before I saw that however, I had
planned to upgrade the motherboard to one with PCi-Express graphics
slot, so I can massively upgrade the video card to something like
GeForce 7900 GTX 512 MB or something thereabouts. I am thinking about a
Dual-Core CPU as well... I am certain to have to upgrade the PSU to
power it. Here are my questions to the forum:

1) What is the DELL policy on system upgrades of this type? Would it be
better to do it piecemeal or basically swap systems? Can I purchase a
bare-bones new system and add to it from what I have?

2) Assuming I do it piecemeal, what do others on the forum suggest by
way of expansions/upgrades? What potential problems do you see with it?
Will this all fit in the same tower or will that need to be expaned as
well?

TIA,
Lorne

Tom Scales

"Lorne Oliver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi group,
> This is my first post here. I have done a search on this topic but all
> replies found are long out of date. Here are the specs of my current
> system:
>
> Dell Dimension 4600i 3.06 GHz on M/B: Dell 0F4491
> RAM: 1 GB
> O/S: Windows XP SP-2
> Video: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB
> Sound: Creative Live! SB series
> PSU: 250 watts
> Drives: 3 x 80 GB internal, 1x 200GB external
> CD R/W (internal) DVD R/W (external)
> Other Misc: CDMA USB Modem for ADSL and Digital Video capture card
>
> I saw the dual graphics card options on the new XPS on offer at DELL
> and started drooling. This is a home computer, mainly used for P2P,
> DVD, video editing, and gaming. Before I saw that however, I had
> planned to upgrade the motherboard to one with PCi-Express graphics
> slot, so I can massively upgrade the video card to something like
> GeForce 7900 GTX 512 MB or something thereabouts. I am thinking about a
> Dual-Core CPU as well... I am certain to have to upgrade the PSU to
> power it. Here are my questions to the forum:
>
> 1) What is the DELL policy on system upgrades of this type? Would it be
> better to do it piecemeal or basically swap systems? Can I purchase a
> bare-bones new system and add to it from what I have?
>
> 2) Assuming I do it piecemeal, what do others on the forum suggest by
> way of expansions/upgrades? What potential problems do you see with it?
> Will this all fit in the same tower or will that need to be expaned as
> well?
>
> TIA,
> Lorne

You need to sell your current system and purchase a new one. There is no
way that buying parts would be the right or economical way to go. It is
always cheaper to get it assembled.

For what you're looking for, look at the XPS600. You might even consider
two 7000GT in an SLI config rather than the GTX.

BVFN Admin

That's sometime trues, sometimes not. when you are starting with a
prebuild such as a Dell and you want to expand that much, go either buy
or build a new one. there are different costs to building and
prebuilds. prebuilds are normally cheaper up front, but cost more to
upgrade and have fewer upgrade options. if you custom build, you will
probably spend a little more up front, but upgrade options are cheaper
and there are more of them.

as much as i love NVidia, from what i've seen dual SLi isn't what it's
cracked up to be... unless you can go all out and get the quad SLi, i
would go with a single card config.

S.Lewis

"Lorne Oliver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi group,
> This is my first post here. I have done a search on this topic but all
> replies found are long out of date. Here are the specs of my current
> system:
>
> Dell Dimension 4600i 3.06 GHz on M/B: Dell 0F4491
> RAM: 1 GB
> O/S: Windows XP SP-2
> Video: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB
> Sound: Creative Live! SB series
> PSU: 250 watts
> Drives: 3 x 80 GB internal, 1x 200GB external
> CD R/W (internal) DVD R/W (external)
> Other Misc: CDMA USB Modem for ADSL and Digital Video capture card
>
> I saw the dual graphics card options on the new XPS on offer at DELL
> and started drooling. This is a home computer, mainly used for P2P,
> DVD, video editing, and gaming. Before I saw that however, I had
> planned to upgrade the motherboard to one with PCi-Express graphics
> slot, so I can massively upgrade the video card to something like
> GeForce 7900 GTX 512 MB or something thereabouts. I am thinking about a
> Dual-Core CPU as well... I am certain to have to upgrade the PSU to
> power it. Here are my questions to the forum:
>
> 1) What is the DELL policy on system upgrades of this type? Would it be
> better to do it piecemeal or basically swap systems? Can I purchase a
> bare-bones new system and add to it from what I have?
>
> 2) Assuming I do it piecemeal, what do others on the forum suggest by
> way of expansions/upgrades? What potential problems do you see with it?
> Will this all fit in the same tower or will that need to be expaned as
> well?
>
> TIA,
> Lorne

Don't attempt to make a hard-core gamer out of that system with the Intel
865 chipset. I also think you'd do far better to sell the Dim4600 as it's
well-equipped, and move up to an XPS system.

I say this recalling comments from friends and counterparts who compared
game performance in comparably equipped Dim4600's and 8300's (Intel 875
chipset) at the time. The 4600 struggled with games the 8300 pretty easily
handled.

But that's just me.

Stew

Dimension 4600 and 4600i - differences? William R. Walsh Dell 4 03-31-2009 10:46 AM
dimension 4600i video problems doug Dell 5 08-01-2006 07:28 PM
Dell Dimension 4600i Northern Girl Dell 0 01-25-2005 03:43 AM
3rd Hard Drive Dell 4600i carrie Dell 0 07-24-2004 01:53 AM
4600i Combo RW/DVD drive troubles Dennis Demont Dell 4 05-25-2004 10:57 PM