Upgrading the hardrive in a Sun Blade 150

cgebert@myfastmail.com

I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

Doug McIntyre

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
>I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
>40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
>512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
>it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

Yes.

The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.

The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
slow small system myself.

Michael Laajanen

Hi,

Doug McIntyre wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>> I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
>> 40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
>> 512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
>> it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

> Yes.
>
> The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
> controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
> 128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
> the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
> any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.
>
> The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
> as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
> slow small system myself.

Are you sure that the Blade can take 4GB, not only 2GB?

/michael

cgebert@myfastmail.com

I can't figure out which ATA spec it uses. Seems like it's either ATA/
66 or ATA/100. It's not really clear whether it's subject to the
137GB barrier or not.

P.S. It's nice for you to offer up knowledge, but no need to bust on
my hardware. I know it's old, but nobody is offering to buy me a new
one.

On Mar 10, 4:59 pm, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> >I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
> >40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
> >512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
> >it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

> Yes.
>
> The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
> controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
> 128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
> the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
> any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.
>
> The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
> as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
> slow small system myself.

cgebert@myfastmail.com

On Mar 10, 6:52 pm, Michael Laajanen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Doug McIntyre wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> >> I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
> >> 40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
> >> 512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
> >> it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

> > Yes.

> > The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
> > controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
> > 128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
> > the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
> > any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.

> > The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
> > as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
> > slow small system myself.

> Are you sure that the Blade can take 4GB, not only 2GB?
>
> /michael

It says the slots will only accept 512MB sticks.

Doug McIntyre

Michael Laajanen <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Doug McIntyre wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>>> I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
>>> 40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
>>> 512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
>>> it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

>> Yes.
>>
>> The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
>> controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
>> 128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
>> the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
>> any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.
>>
>> The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
>> as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
>> slow small system myself.
>>

>Are you sure that the Blade can take 4GB, not only 2GB?

No, I'm not sure, I was only going by a memory sale site that I've
used some over the years.

Michael Laajanen

Hi,

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I can't figure out which ATA spec it uses. Seems like it's either ATA/
> 66 or ATA/100. It's not really clear whether it's subject to the
> 137GB barrier or not.
>
> P.S. It's nice for you to offer up knowledge, but no need to bust on
> my hardware. I know it's old, but nobody is offering to buy me a new
> one.

I am pretty sure that the Blade 150 can use more than 127GB or 137 whatever.

I would recommend a USB 2.0 PCI board from a good vendor like Belkin and
then attach external USB storage, DVD burner is just to install instead
of the CD/DVD ROM.

You can add a second HD drive, but keep an eye on the cooling by placing
the cables nice and maybe add a second fan for the drives feed from the
front to rear.

Memory, I have 2GB(4x512MB) in my Blade 150, you can also add a XVR-100
graphic adapter which you will have benefit of in Gnome and more.

/michael

Barry OGrady

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:56:53 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I can't figure out which ATA spec it uses. Seems like it's either ATA/
>66 or ATA/100. It's not really clear whether it's subject to the
>137GB barrier or not.
>
>P.S. It's nice for you to offer up knowledge, but no need to bust on
>my hardware. I know it's old, but nobody is offering to buy me a new
>one.

In that case we'll bust on your posting style.

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting

>On Mar 10, 4:59 pm, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>> >I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
>> >40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
>> >512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
>> >it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

>> Yes.
>>
>> The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
>> controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
>> 128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
>> the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
>> any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.
>>
>> The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
>> as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
>> slow small system myself.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

"Sun Blade 2000" vs. "Sun Blade 1000" (And did you ever see an oysterwalk upstairs?) Martin Bochnig Sun Hardware 12 05-31-2005 01:21 PM
dell 1901fp monitor on sun blade 150? Rusty Wright Sun Hardware 4 08-26-2004 05:07 PM
Sun Blade 150 Brandon Sun Hardware 0 08-23-2004 01:44 PM
Sun Blade 150 tape drives Wayne Rasmussen Sun Hardware 4 08-06-2004 04:47 PM
WTS Sun Fire V100, V120, V210, V240, V250, 280R, V440, V480 & Sun Blade 1500, 2000 (Sun Microsystems) Nikolaj Johansen Sun Hardware 0 12-12-2003 12:33 PM