upgrading from IS7, I need some advice

Jeff

Hey

I've a pc with the IS7 motherboard, 512mb RAM, pentium 2.6 GHz!

I'm wondering if for example I bought a new motherboard could I for example
use my RAM from IS7 on this new motherboard? I mean a I buy a new
motherboard based on Intel technology and based on the newest processors
from Intel (lets say a new motherboard from Abit)?

And also I'm wondering if I can use the cabinet of my IS7 computer on the
upgraded pc or do I have to buy a new cabinet too ?

Jeff

Jeff

Here are some more info about my IS7 computer:

RAM:
DDR-DIMM PC3200 256MB DDR CL2.5 Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)

Cabinet:
Chieftec Dragon MediumTower cabinet m/360W DX-01W P4/AMD

SumGuy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here are some more info about my IS7 computer:
>
> RAM:
> DDR-DIMM PC3200 256MB DDR CL2.5 Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)
>
> Cabinet:
> Chieftec Dragon MediumTower cabinet m/360W DX-01W P4/AMD

You don't say what you want to upgrade to, but if your new motherboard
supports DDR, then yes you can use the memory. If it only supports DDR2 then
you can't. DDR2 memory is quite cheap though.

I doubt a new chipset would support DDR1, you will need to research the Abit
website as I am not familiar with every board Abit makes.

What CPU were you thinking of. Many of the intel based chipset support a
very wide range of 775 processors

Your case should be fine, though with the power supply, does it have a 20 or
24 pin mainboard connector? New motherboards are 24 pin, though I believe
you can get adapters so 20 pin power supplies will work.

Were you planning on using an uber graphics card or not. Unless you are
running an 8800 GTX or something your PSU will probably be OK.

I would suggest you look at prices, as basing you upgrade on what memory it
will take is false economy. DDR2 is so cheap atm.

Zadok

On Sun, 20 May 2007 10:04:00 +0200, "Jeff"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey
>
>I've a pc with the IS7 motherboard, 512mb RAM, pentium 2.6 GHz!
>
>I'm wondering if for example I bought a new motherboard could I for example
>use my RAM from IS7 on this new motherboard? I mean a I buy a new
>motherboard based on Intel technology and based on the newest processors
>from Intel (lets say a new motherboard from Abit)?
>
>And also I'm wondering if I can use the cabinet of my IS7 computer on the
>upgraded pc or do I have to buy a new cabinet too ?
>
>Jeff

If this is your board the this manufacturer's site should answer your
questions:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...ies=1&model=79
Why do you simply want a new board?

If I were looking for an upgrade to this system then I would upgrade
the RAM first. A 2gb Dual Channel DDR 400 kit can be had for <$100.\
http://www.komusa.com/400ddr2duch.html for example.

-- Zadok
('¿')

frodo@theshire.net

Jeff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've a pc with the IS7 motherboard, 512mb RAM, pentium 2.6 GHz!

Me Too! Fine machine, still viable.

> I'm wondering if for example I bought a new motherboard could I for example
> use my RAM from IS7 on this new motherboard? I mean a I buy a new
> motherboard based on Intel technology and based on the newest processors
> from Intel (lets say a new motherboard from Abit)?

you're using DDR, all new intel's want DDR2, so you're out of luck. You
might still find an AMD socket 939 motherboard that does DDR, but the
newest socket AM2 now requires DDR2 also. [DDR2 is still a joke, it just
costs more without providing any tangable benefit].

> And also I'm wondering if I can use the cabinet of my IS7 computer on the
> upgraded pc or do I have to buy a new cabinet too ?

Depends on the power supply. you may need a $2 adapter to change the
20-pin to a 24-pin. Modern boards/cpus actually use less power these
days, but high end graphics cards eat up lots of juice.

---

Your machine still has some life left in it, and always remember the
cardinal rule of PCs:

"Next month something better will cost less and do more."

So, I'd wait, and consider doing a tiny upgrade now, perhaps a better
keyboard and mouse, or a new widescreen display, or nice speakers,
something with immeadiate gratification and that will easily transfer to
the new system when you do move on.

Need some advice about hard drive setup NoRemorse Gigabyte 0 08-07-2005 09:11 PM
Building a SN95G5v2 system need some advice NAX Shuttle 1 04-02-2005 11:08 AM
Need Some Buying Advice for New Asus Motherboard kwthom@munged.com Asus 3 12-25-2003 03:13 PM
Need some advice ...... Shogun Asus 7 12-08-2003 05:04 PM
Need some advice André MSI 0 10-10-2003 03:34 PM