upgrading RAM in old Dell desktop.

sspeedy

Hi again,
First off, I did make this post in another one of these forums and
I've realized maybe this is more appropriate place for the questions I
have.

Here it is:
I have a really old Dell Dimension that my friend recently acquired.
It's a Dell Dimension L600cx. She gave it to her mom so she could do
basic stuff like cruise the internet, check her email, work on
Word/Excel, play games on yahoo, etc.

However, we noticed how slow this dinosaur really is. I believe it has
Windows 2000 Professional on it. I can't remember if my friend checked
how much RAM it has; but let's just say that when you push in the
tower power button..... the time it takes for it to load the desktop
and everything is easily 4 min's. It might actually be 5-7 min's. It
is VERY slowly.

We have never actually looked inside a pc.. I'm always afraid I'll
mess something up. But my friend says she doesn't care since it didn't
cost her much to get it anyway.

So she opened up the case. Inside it is really dusty, so we can clean
that up. I believe she took out two ram sticks... or at least, we hope
so laughing

One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".

Now, I have questions:
1) So does that mean that both of the sticks add upto 128 MB in
memory?
2) Would adding memory to this thing actually help?
If yes for #2, I need to know where I can purchase it, how much, and
what to look out for (i.e. what does synch mean, cl2, and why does it
say 100 mhz?)

3) How much memory can I add to this thing? (what's the limit)?
4) I saw a sticker in the front that says it was 'designed for MS
Windows 2000 Pro, Win. NT Workstation 4.0, Win 98". Can I install
Win XP Home Edition on this thing?

Ok, yep, I know a lot of questions, but I'm ready to take this all
in.. So please help without too many insults wink

TIA.

Christopher Muto

1) yes, it sounds like you have a system total of 128mb. that is a really
just a bare minimum to run windows 2000. if you are also running antivirus,
as you should, then the machine would run miserably slow.
2) yes. and crucial.com is the place to buy it (look under dell, dimension,
l series). you could potentially buy it for a little bit less elsewhere but
you could also easily buy incompatible memory elsewhere which ultimately
will cost you more. memory for this system is expensive, $65 for 256mb.
you could add one 256mb and use it in conjunction with one of the existing
128mb modules for a system total of 384mb which will provide a noticeable
boost in system performance. of course more is better, but perhaps not
economical to put much money into this machine when a new machine with
everything faster can be had for as little as $400.
3) you have several questions in this question... part of which was answered
above. then rest here... this system supports a maximum of two 256mb
modules for a system maximum of 512mb. yes you can install windows xp on
this system. it installs very easily but requires at least a 10gb drive
just to have windows xp and office 2000 and antivirus fully installed. so
you really want to have at least a 20gb drive in my opinion. but keep in
mind that a copy of xp costs about $100, plus the $65 for additional ram,
and potential cost for a new hard disk means you are well on your way to
paying half the cost of a brand new low end system that would blow this one
away performance wise... keep this in mind before you do anything.
good luck.

"sspeedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi again,
> First off, I did make this post in another one of these forums and
> I've realized maybe this is more appropriate place for the questions I
> have.
>
> Here it is:
> I have a really old Dell Dimension that my friend recently acquired.
> It's a Dell Dimension L600cx. She gave it to her mom so she could do
> basic stuff like cruise the internet, check her email, work on
> Word/Excel, play games on yahoo, etc.
>
> However, we noticed how slow this dinosaur really is. I believe it has
> Windows 2000 Professional on it. I can't remember if my friend checked
> how much RAM it has; but let's just say that when you push in the
> tower power button..... the time it takes for it to load the desktop
> and everything is easily 4 min's. It might actually be 5-7 min's. It
> is VERY slowly.
>
> We have never actually looked inside a pc.. I'm always afraid I'll
> mess something up. But my friend says she doesn't care since it didn't
> cost her much to get it anyway.
>
> So she opened up the case. Inside it is really dusty, so we can clean
> that up. I believe she took out two ram sticks... or at least, we hope
> so laughing
>
> One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
> the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".
>
> Now, I have questions:
> 1) So does that mean that both of the sticks add upto 128 MB in
> memory?
> 2) Would adding memory to this thing actually help?
> If yes for #2, I need to know where I can purchase it, how much, and
> what to look out for (i.e. what does synch mean, cl2, and why does it
> say 100 mhz?)
>
> 3) How much memory can I add to this thing? (what's the limit)?
> 4) I saw a sticker in the front that says it was 'designed for MS
> Windows 2000 Pro, Win. NT Workstation 4.0, Win 98". Can I install
> Win XP Home Edition on this thing?
>
> Ok, yep, I know a lot of questions, but I'm ready to take this all
> in.. So please help without too many insults wink
>
> TIA.

Geoff

> One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
> the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".

try crucial, they will prob sell you some ram that will work
PC100 or PC133 (old SDRAM)

mainly the reason the pc is too slow is becuase it doesn't have enough
memory, windows 2000 (or any version of XP) needs 256 or more really

don't bother putting XP on it, just see if you can get some extra ram for it
and leave it really

RnR

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:14:33 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>1) yes, it sounds like you have a system total of 128mb. that is a really
>just a bare minimum to run windows 2000. if you are also running antivirus,
>as you should, then the machine would run miserably slow.
>2) yes. and crucial.com is the place to buy it (look under dell, dimension,
>l series). you could potentially buy it for a little bit less elsewhere but
>you could also easily buy incompatible memory elsewhere which ultimately
>will cost you more. memory for this system is expensive, $65 for 256mb.
>you could add one 256mb and use it in conjunction with one of the existing
>128mb modules for a system total of 384mb which will provide a noticeable
>boost in system performance. of course more is better, but perhaps not
>economical to put much money into this machine when a new machine with
>everything faster can be had for as little as $400.
>3) you have several questions in this question... part of which was answered
>above. then rest here... this system supports a maximum of two 256mb
>modules for a system maximum of 512mb. yes you can install windows xp on
>this system. it installs very easily but requires at least a 10gb drive
>just to have windows xp and office 2000 and antivirus fully installed. so
>you really want to have at least a 20gb drive in my opinion. but keep in
>mind that a copy of xp costs about $100, plus the $65 for additional ram,
>and potential cost for a new hard disk means you are well on your way to
>paying half the cost of a brand new low end system that would blow this one
>away performance wise... keep this in mind before you do anything.
>good luck.

Agreed. Unfortunately that's the sad aspect of wanting to upgrade old
pc/laptops. The cost is just too high vs. new low end units to make
it practical in "most" cases. And earlier today I was browsing on
techbargains.com and saw a couple of new low end laptops (I think
around $399 up) that would probably outperform the OP's old unit.
(I didn't pay much attention to these units' details because I'm not
shopping for them but just wanted to use them as an example)

Mark Dunn

Try ebay. I've upgraded one Gateway for 2.70 and even an Optiplex to 512
for only 11. Pro rata, that's the same.
"Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d9be96$0$22120$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
> > the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".

> try crucial, they will prob sell you some ram that will work
> PC100 or PC133 (old SDRAM)
>
> mainly the reason the pc is too slow is becuase it doesn't have enough
> memory, windows 2000 (or any version of XP) needs 256 or more really
>
> don't bother putting XP on it, just see if you can get some extra ram for

it
> and leave it really

Mark Dunn

Mind you, 4 minutes for boot-up sounds like more than a RAM shortage.
"Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d9be96$0$22120$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
> > the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".

> try crucial, they will prob sell you some ram that will work
> PC100 or PC133 (old SDRAM)
>
> mainly the reason the pc is too slow is becuase it doesn't have enough
> memory, windows 2000 (or any version of XP) needs 256 or more really
>
> don't bother putting XP on it, just see if you can get some extra ram for

it
> and leave it really

[L.]

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:55:03 -0000, "Mark Dunn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:45d9be96$0$22120$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>

>> > One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
>> > the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".

>> try crucial, they will prob sell you some ram that will work
>> PC100 or PC133 (old SDRAM)

Try your local freecycle group (google for URL) and get them for free.
PC100/PC133 are quite often found in salvaged machines.

[L.]

peterfelgate@hotmail.com

On 19 Feb, 09:27, (E-Mail Removed) (sspeedy) wrote:
> Hi again,
> First off, I did make this post in another one of these forums and
> I've realized maybe this is more appropriate place for the questions I
> have.
>
> Here it is:
> I have a really old Dell Dimension that my friend recently acquired.
> It's a Dell Dimension L600cx. She gave it to her mom so she could do
> basic stuff like cruise the internet, check her email, work on
> Word/Excel, play games on yahoo, etc.
>
> However, we noticed how slow this dinosaur really is. I believe it has
> Windows 2000 Professional on it. I can't remember if my friend checked
> how much RAM it has; but let's just say that when you push in the
> tower power button..... the time it takes for it to load the desktop
> and everything is easily 4 min's. It might actually be 5-7 min's. It
> is VERY slowly.
>
> We have never actually looked inside a pc.. I'm always afraid I'll
> mess something up. But my friend says she doesn't care since it didn't
> cost her much to get it anyway.
>
> So she opened up the case. Inside it is really dusty, so we can clean
> that up. I believe she took out two ram sticks... or at least, we hope
> so laughing
>
> One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
> the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".
>
> Now, I have questions:
> 1) So does that mean that both of the sticks add upto 128 MB in
> memory?
> 2) Would adding memory to this thing actually help?
> If yes for #2, I need to know where I can purchase it, how much, and
> what to look out for (i.e. what does synch mean, cl2, and why does it
> say 100 mhz?)
>
> 3) How much memory can I add to this thing? (what's the limit)?
> 4) I saw a sticker in the front that says it was 'designed for MS
> Windows 2000 Pro, Win. NT Workstation 4.0, Win 98". Can I install
> Win XP Home Edition on this thing?
>
> Ok, yep, I know a lot of questions, but I'm ready to take this all
> in.. So please help without too many insults wink
>
> TIA.

Regarding the slow boot, go into the bios and make sure the processor
speed is set to "normal" and NOT "compatible"....

upgrading an old p3v4x Chris Asus 6 11-29-2004 02:48 PM
Old Dell RAM upgrade? Mo Dell 2 10-02-2004 02:28 PM
Upgrading a Dell Dimension 4100 to 1GB RAM Domingo da Pilma Dell 3 05-01-2004 11:51 PM
HELP! Upgrading from Win98 to WinXP on an old DELL Tom O'Malley Dell 13 03-03-2004 12:22 AM
Upgrading my old BX6 Rev.2.0 MB Chuck in Minot Abit 7 08-11-2003 07:42 PM