Upgrading T42 with WinXP Professional 40 GB to a new 80 GB drive

barman@jhu.edu

I have a Thinkpad T42 with its original 40GB drive. I want to upgrade
to an 80GB drive and used Apricorn's nice EZ Upgrade product to clone
the 40GB to the 80GB drive. I wasn't sure what to do with the hidden
partition; instead of proportionally increasing the size, on IBM
service's advise, they said that I could get by with going from about
4GB to about 6GB, and that's what I did.

But after cloning, when I put the 80GB drive in to boot, the drive's
password is successfully accepted, but then I get a blinking cursor. I
wonder if it isn't because of the hidden partition. Any advise?

By the way, my blue Access IBM button used to work and bring up a menu
of Thinkpad related tasks, but hasn't been working for some months now
in doing that or interrupting the boot sequence. Strange!

Dilip

eM eL

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> But after cloning, when I put the 80GB drive in to boot, the drive's
> password is successfully accepted, but then I get a blinking cursor. I
> wonder if it isn't because of the hidden partition. Any advise?

When ghosting/cloning the drive make the new drive active (so the MBR is copied) but
don't assign it a letter (which would be D or whatever...) Windows XP will assign it
the letter C: upon first boot and store its ID in the registry.

> By the way, my blue Access IBM button used to work and bring up a menu
> of Thinkpad related tasks, but hasn't been working for some months now
> in doing that or interrupting the boot sequence. Strange!

Reinstall/upgrade the TP utilities suite (best using the IBM/Lenovo software
installer.)
--
><eM eL><

barman@jhu.edu

Thanks. I think the problem is the Thinkpad hidden partition. I don't
have a choice of not assigning a drive letter - the clone seems to go
fine but when I put the new drive inside the Thinkpad and try to boot
from it, after taking the password, I just get a blinking line.

eM eL

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Thanks. I think the problem is the Thinkpad hidden partition.

Not likely. I have successfully ghosted numerous drives with the TP hidden
partition.

> I don't
> have a choice of not assigning a drive letter - the clone seems to go
> fine but when I put the new drive inside the Thinkpad and try to boot
> from it, after taking the password, I just get a blinking line.

Yes, most likely because the system has stored the ID of drive D: (or whatever letter
was assigned to it whilst ghosting...) and it cannot boot from anything but drive C:
You can use a ghosting utility which will not assign a letter to the ghosted drive or
do some surgery on the registry. There are several threads about it on the 'net -
google is your friend.

--
><eM eL><
><Dance, monkeys. Dance><

noname

eM eL wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>Thanks. I think the problem is the Thinkpad hidden partition.

> Not likely. I have successfully ghosted numerous drives with the TP hidden
> partition.

Sorry but it is very possible it is the rescue system. After encounting
several similar problems like described by Dilip I contacted Symantec.
They confirmed these problems can be caused when some versions of the
system are used with some versions of Ghost.

>>I don't
>>have a choice of not assigning a drive letter - the clone seems to go
>>fine but when I put the new drive inside the Thinkpad and try to boot
>>from it, after taking the password, I just get a blinking line.

> Yes, most likely because the system has stored the ID of drive D: (or whatever letter
> was assigned to it whilst ghosting...) and it cannot boot from anything but drive C:
> You can use a ghosting utility which will not assign a letter to the ghosted drive or
> do some surgery on the registry. There are several threads about it on the 'net -
> google is your friend.

Even when this solves booting to XP there is a big chance the rescue
system does not work. But after two disk that went bad after a few
months making both normal system and the rescue system useless imho the
rescue system is a wast of diskspace anyway.
S.

eM eL

"noname" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4327053a$0$11067$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...

> Even when this solves booting to XP there is a big chance the rescue system does
> not work. But after two disk that went bad after a few months making both normal
> system and the rescue system useless imho the rescue system is a wast of diskspace
> anyway.

IBM/Lenovo offers an upload for IBM RESCUE AND RECOVERY system which allows the
creation of one's own rescue/recovery CD - a route preferable to using a hidden
partition on the hard drive. The download is machine-specific and rather large (~380
MB) but doable with DSL/Cable