Upgrading a Thinkpad harddisk is not easy?

noname

Alan K. Martinez wrote:

> If you have a ThinkPad with the HPA intact, go to your system restore
> options when you boot up. On the T40, I had to hit the blue Access IBM
> button while the system was booting up to ..... snip

Thank you Alan!
Before trying the restore cd I'll try this solution.

IBM support never mentioned this 'official' solution when I asked them
if there was another solution to upgrade the HD besides using software
like ghost. I guess they just want to sell the recovery cd.

S.

noname

dg1261 wrote:

> Note the
> problem is not with the drive, it's with the Thinkpad bios--put the same
> drive in most desktops or other laptops and they usually autodetect it the
> same way, but the Thinkpad will see it differently.

Is this also when in the bios the HPA is set disabled (not hidden)?

It sounds strange the problem is the bios. I wonder what the BIOS will
see when using non-standard travelstar/hitachi HDs.

> BTW, Alan Martinez has already given you the proper way of transferring the
> HPA. It ain't easy, but I've done it that way on several R40's.

Thank you for mentioning this.
S.

dg1261

"noname" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Note the problem is not with the drive, it's with the Thinkpad
> > bios--put the same drive in most desktops or other laptops
> > and they usually autodetect it the same way, but the Thinkpad
> > will see it differently.

> Is this also when in the bios the HPA is set disabled (not hidden)?
>
> It sounds strange the problem is the bios. I wonder what the
> BIOS will see when using non-standard travelstar/hitachi HDs.

To give you a real example, I have in my hands a new Fujitsu 60GB laptop
drive. I just connected it (with 2.3-to-3.5 adapter) to an old IBM Aptiva
desktop, a Dell Dimension desktop, a Dell Latitude laptop, and an IBM R40.
The Aptiva, Dimension, and Latitude all autodetected it as cyl/heads/sectors
(CHS) = 7296/255/63 (117,210,240 total sectors). The R40 detected it as CHS
= 7752/240/63 (117,210,240 total sectors). I've observed this behavior to
be consistent with Fujitsu, Toshiba, and IBM/Hitachi laptop drives--the R40
(as well as a T41 and T42 I've tested) always autodetect them with 240 heads
while most other computers see 255 heads.

Understand, though, that this isn't cause for concern--CHS are fictitious
numbers, anyway (since the advent of all but the earliest IDE drives), so it
really doesn't matter how the bios wants to see the geometry, as long as the
computer is consistent with itself. You only have a problem when you move
the drive between computers that choose to see the geometry differently,
because data sectors laid down under one geometry might appear in the wrong
places under different geometry.

Enabling/disabling HPA security made no difference on the Fujitsu above
because it was new--there was no HPA yet so the "HPA size" was zero. On a
drive with a HPA, though, it changes the cylinder count. The 20GB drive
currently in my R40 shows CHS 2164/240/63 with HPA hidden, and CHS
2583/240/63 with the HPA exposed. Hiding the HPA makes the drive pretend
it's smaller (with fewer cylinders), as though the block of cylinders at the
end of the disk doesn't even exist. Incidentally, that's why the usual disk
utilities like PartitionMagic, Ghost, and DriveImage won't even see the HPA
if hidden--the disk itself is not 'fessing up to the utils that the cyls are
even there.

> > BTW, Alan Martinez has already given you the proper way of
> > transferring the HPA. It ain't easy, but I've done it that way on
> > several R40's.

> Thank you for mentioning this.

As Alan mentioned, the recovery partition in the HPA contains the
command-line utils that you use to backup/restore the HPA. Fwbackup.exe
breaks the HPA image into a group of ordinary files, which you copy to the
new drive, then use fwrestor.exe to recreate the HPA from those files. What
makes this procedure abnormally difficult is that to get to the utils you
have to drop into a DOS environment (MS-DOS 4.1, aka Win98se DOS, on my
R40). That means you don't have support for network drives, USB drives,
can't write to the R40's main NTFS partition, and can't write to CDR--so
where do you put those nifty files fwbackup.exe can create? It sounds like
Alan used his ingenuity to create his own custom boot floppy with support
for his USB drive, then had fwbackup write to the USB drive. I used a
different approach--I used PartitionMagic to temporarily shrink the main
NTFS system partition, created a new FAT32 partition, had fwbackup write
there (DOS 4.1 can write to FAT32), booted back into XP and burned those
files to CDR, swapped in the new drive, booted a Win98 boot floppy (which
has CD support), and had fwrestor.exe read from the CDRs.

This whole HPA scheme wasn't thoroughly thought out--not IBM's finest hour,
so it's probably not surprising their helpdesk techs didn't admit to it.
It's much easier to tell people to just get the CDs IBM should have given
you in the first place.

alordofchaos@yahoo.com

dg1261 said:
> you have to drop into a DOS environment (MS-DOS 4.1, aka
> Win98se DOS, on my R40). That means you don't have support
> for network drives, USB drives, can't write to the R40's main NTFS
> partition, and can't write to CDR--so where do you put those nifty
> files fwbackup.exe can create?

http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

NTFS4DOS is freeware for personal use, license for 100 users was very
reasonable (about $35 US, IIRC), and will allow you to read/write to
NTFS from DOS. Worth checking out.

tempest

I would like to have your list of steps, if possible,
(E-Mail Removed)

thanks,

"Alan K. Martinez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> [...]
> order to backup the HPA to a USB drive and restore it back to the 80Gb
> drive.
>
> If you have a ThinkPad with the HPA intact, go to your system restore
> options when you boot up. On the T40, I had to hit the blue Access IBM
> button while the system was booting up to get to the BIOS options. There
> is a menu function/icon to Restore System Settings. This brought me to a
> DOS looking utility that prompted me to accept licenses and stuff. At
> this utility, I was able to hit F3 which brought me to a DOS prompt.
>
> At this DOS prompt you can access a drive letter and directory (I'll have
> to look it up again because I don't remember, if you need it) to get to 2
> files. I think they were called fwbackup.exe and fwrestore.exe. You can
> execute an fwbackup /? to get help to use some switched if you want to
> breakup the HPA backup into small chunks of files that would fit onto a cd
> and stuff. You can specify what drive to back it up to and stuff....
>
> Copy those two files to a boot disk. Boot with that disk and backup your
> HPA. Then use the appropriate file to restore it to the new drive.
>
> Once you've done that, go back and set the HPA to protected. Then you
> should be able to use Ghost to finish the rest of the work.
>
> My steps and process was a little more detailed and I had a document typed
> up for myself for a just in case moment... if you need it let me know,
> but I must warn you that my process involved another ThinkPad (570) with a
> docking bay and ultradrive adapter to put the new HD in so I can restore
> the HPA to it. Anyway, there might be other workarounds similar to what I
> did...
>
> "tempest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:xSpVd.37429$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Ghost 9.0 uses a bootup CD-rom and not a floppy, which boots in Ghost's
>> recovery Environment, which should make you restore a backed-up image to
>> your hard drive. I'm sure your R40 has a CD rom.
>> You dont need to buy an adapter ( 40pin to 44 pin IDE) you can find tons
>> of them on Ebay. You could buy an 2.5" hard drive enclosure, works with
>> your USB port. Automatically you are adding a second hard drive to your
>> laptop. Thats where you can try the cloning, without having to remove
>> your OEM hard drive from the laptop.
>> Better yet, if i am not mistaking, Ghost Recovery Environment comes with
>> network support, so you can recover an image which is stored on another
>> computer on your network.
>> Good luck.
>> "RWM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It's not the USB interface, it's the imaging software.
>>> Cloning attempts to a USB drive that did not work (after several
>>> attempts) with Ghost 9.0 and Drive Image 3.0, worked first and
>>> subsequent times with Acronis 8.0.
>>> According to your comments, you apparently haven't used (or even tried?)
>>> an external USB drive. Your R40 has a USB port, right?

noname

Alan K. Martinez wrote:
> Actually, if you purchased the computer new, I believe by law they have to
> provide the recovery CD's for free. You just have to ask for them. I
> called about a week after I got my T40 and asked for the recovery CD's and I
> had to ask for the Lotus Notes and SmartSuite cd's. They just took my name,
> number, and T40 serial numbers down and mailed them to me... got them
> without hassle.

When I wanted to buy the recovery set the warranty on the R40e had
expired by exactly 2 days. IBM was not cooperative to give the recovery
cd, not even to sell them. I had to contact my local IBM dealer, they
are now trying to get the disks for me.

> And, the recovery CD's that they send will just image your hard drive with
> the factory defaults. But NOT THE HPA. I learned this hard way.

Oh, nice....... :-(
I really start disliking this 'fantastic' HPA solution of IBM.
I'm glad I am not a 'normal' user trying to upgrade the HD.

S.

MAG

In article <422b3747$1_2@127.0.0.1>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Well I can't speak or know of other experiences regarding out of warranty
> requests for the discs. I had asked for my discs within the first 2 weeks
> of receiving my T40.
>
> And except for the questions regarding my serial number and where to ship
> the discs they didn't give me any hassle. They just said expect it within 7
> to 10 business days. If I remember correctly I received it in about 4 days.

The new policy is that they only send out the CDs free if your HD
crashes or there is a similar inability to create the recovery CDs with
the built-in utility. Otherwise they charge for then now.

I got a free set because there was a problem with my system and the CD
creator wouldn't work; it gave an "internal error."

Marc

Upgrading Harddisk 5400 rpm vs. 7200 rpm Stefan Müller Tablet PC 2 10-17-2008 03:12 PM
bios does not recognize harddisk upgrade xyz_rahul PC Hardware 1 01-26-2005 09:47 PM
p5gf1 does not boot from harddisk RobB Asus 0 01-07-2005 12:16 AM
Old harddisk can not be seen in new computer Tommy Gigabyte 5 01-28-2004 08:33 AM
IBM ThinkPad X31 harddisk Mark Stier IBM 0 07-31-2003 03:26 PM