USB 2.0 pci card for 503+?

Carbon

I just got my wife a digital camera, and I want to get usb 2.0 working on
her 503+ running w2k. I've just been looking at newegg.com and there are
dozens of cheap usb cards starting at $8 or so. Is it safe to just order
one of them or should I spring for one of the more expensive ones?

tonys

I have never been able to get a USB 2.0 pci card to work in my 503+
motherboard...

Hope someone chimes in with better luck....I thought about using a USB 1.0
card but have never got around to it...

tony

"Carbon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .net...
>I just got my wife a digital camera, and I want to get usb 2.0 working on
> her 503+ running w2k. I've just been looking at newegg.com and there are
> dozens of cheap usb cards starting at $8 or so. Is it safe to just order
> one of them or should I spring for one of the more expensive ones?

Robert Akins

My 503+ is sitting in the garage right now with a USB 2.0 PCI card in it, it
worked OK right up until I retired the machine. The card I used had an NEC
chipset on it, at the time many of the USB cards had VIA or SIS chipsets and
they weren't as compatible with the 503+ I guess. HTH
Robert
"tonys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have never been able to get a USB 2.0 pci card to work in my 503+
> motherboard...
>
> Hope someone chimes in with better luck....I thought about using a USB 1.0
> card but have never got around to it...
>

> tony
>

> "Carbon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> >I just got my wife a digital camera, and I want to get usb 2.0 working on
> > her 503+ running w2k. I've just been looking at newegg.com and there are
> > dozens of cheap usb cards starting at $8 or so. Is it safe to just order
> > one of them or should I spring for one of the more expensive ones?

larrymoencurly

Carbon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) n.net>...

> I just got my wife a digital camera, and I want to get
> usb 2.0 working on her 503+ running w2k. I've just been
> looking at newegg.com and there are dozens of cheap usb
> cards starting at $8 or so. Is it safe to just order
> one of them or should I spring for one of the more
> expensive ones?

Only one USB 2.0 card wouldn't work in my VA-503+. It was based on
the VIA VT6202 chip and would cause the mobo to look dead until
removed. Oddly, this card worked fine in an FIC PA-2007 mobo, which
is sort of the predecessor to the VA-503+ and usually has the same
south bridge. OTOH a card based on a newer VIA USB 2.0 chip, the
VT6212, was no problem for the VA-503+, and www.xbitlabs.com said that
it was quite a bit faster than the VT6202.

Try to get a card with an NEC USB 2.0 chip because others aren't
always compatible with all hardware, or the software may not install
right -- see www.everythingusb.com and www.usbman.com. If you can't
read the brand because a sticker covers it, look for a square chip
almost 1" across and with 160 pins around it. The worst USB 2.0 cards
may be those with the ALi USB chip, which is about 1/2" square with 64
pins. AFAIK it's also the only one without Win98 drivers, only
Win98SE and later ones. VIA USB chips are oblong with 128 pins, and
if a VIA card has only one notch cut into its edge connector, the chip
is probably the VT6202 chip, while two notches indicates a VT6212.
Belkin, Maxtor, and Adaptec cards use NEC USB 2.0 chips, but so do
some of the cheap generics advertised at www.pricewatch.com.
Unfortunately dealers may advertise NEC cards but ship something else,
a case being Alpha International Business, www.buyaib.com, which sent
me a VIA VT6212 card in a box with a drawing of an NEC card on it and
a sticker that said "VIA". The card was only $7.50, delivered, and
works fine, but false advertising is false advertising, and AIB hasn't
corrected its PriceWatch listing or website in over two months.

Carbon

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:55:19 -0800, larrymoencurly wrote:

> Only one USB 2.0 card wouldn't work in my VA-503+. It was based on the
> VIA VT6202 chip and would cause the mobo to look dead until removed.
> Oddly, this card worked fine in an FIC PA-2007 mobo, which is sort of
> the predecessor to the VA-503+ and usually has the same south bridge.
> OTOH a card based on a newer VIA USB 2.0 chip, the VT6212, was no
> problem for the VA-503+, and www.xbitlabs.com said that it was quite a
> bit faster than the VT6202.

Sadly I just went ahead and newegged a new 4-port USB 2 card before any of
the replies showed up. It's a Zonet SUH2205V, and naturally it has some
sort of VIA chip on it. I'm not sure which one but it works great so far.
w2k installed its own drivers for it and I had no problem importing
pictures off the digital camera. I guess I just got lucky.

Robert Akins

Glad you got one that works. Maybe they corrected the problems in a newer
version of the chipset.
Robert
"Carbon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:55:19 -0800, larrymoencurly wrote:
>
> > Only one USB 2.0 card wouldn't work in my VA-503+. It was based on the
> > VIA VT6202 chip and would cause the mobo to look dead until removed.
> > Oddly, this card worked fine in an FIC PA-2007 mobo, which is sort of
> > the predecessor to the VA-503+ and usually has the same south bridge.
> > OTOH a card based on a newer VIA USB 2.0 chip, the VT6212, was no
> > problem for the VA-503+, and www.xbitlabs.com said that it was quite a
> > bit faster than the VT6202.

> Sadly I just went ahead and newegged a new 4-port USB 2 card before any of
> the replies showed up. It's a Zonet SUH2205V, and naturally it has some
> sort of VIA chip on it. I'm not sure which one but it works great so far.
> w2k installed its own drivers for it and I had no problem importing
> pictures off the digital camera. I guess I just got lucky.

Joel Mosher

Robert Akins wrote:
> My 503+ is sitting in the garage right now with a USB 2.0 PCI card in it, it
> worked OK right up until I retired the machine. The card I used had an NEC
> chipset on it, at the time many of the USB cards had VIA or SIS chipsets and
> they weren't as compatible with the 503+ I guess. HTH
> Robert
> "tonys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>I have never been able to get a USB 2.0 pci card to work in my 503+
>>motherboard...
>>
>>Hope someone chimes in with better luck....I thought about using a USB 1.0
>>card but have never got around to it...
>>

>>tony
>>

>>"Carbon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news(E-Mail Removed) on.net...
>>
>>>I just got my wife a digital camera, and I want to get usb 2.0 working on
>>>her 503+ running w2k. I've just been looking at newegg.com and there are
>>>dozens of cheap usb cards starting at $8 or so. Is it safe to just order
>>>one of them or should I spring for one of the more expensive ones?

I use a Belkin USB 2.0 card in my 503's with no problem.

Tornad01

>I use a Belkin USB 2.0 card in my 503's with no problem.

Will it work with plain Windows 98 (NON SE) - or is SE required as a
minimum?

Thanks,

John

Robert Akins

I don't think it has to be 98SE, original Windows 98 will work too. The USB
2.0 driver requires at least some version of 98.
Robert
"Tornad01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >I use a Belkin USB 2.0 card in my 503's with no problem.
> >

> Will it work with plain Windows 98 (NON SE) - or is SE required as a
> minimum?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Brad Clarke

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:01:36 GMT, "Robert Akins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>I don't think it has to be 98SE, original Windows 98 will work too. The USB
>>2.0 driver requires at least some version of 98.
>>Robert

According to the driver download section on the Belkin site, it lists
only Win98 SE

http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...0&lang=1&mode=

The specification shown in the User Manual
(http://web.belkin.com/support/download/files/F5U220.pdf)

Specifications
OHCI compliant (USB 1.1 Host Controller)
EHCI compliant (USB 2.0 Host Controller)
PCI revison 2.1 compliant
Current: 500mA per port
USB revision 2.0 compliant
Windows 98SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP compatible

USB 2.0 pci card into Dimension 4100 124 pin pci slot MLJ Hardware 3 01-01-2009 03:09 PM
Adaptec AUA-5100 USB 2.0 PCI cardAdaptec AUA-5100 USB 2.0 PCI card Ian Apple 6 04-15-2007 02:14 AM
USB hub vs. USB PCI card Journey Dell 9 03-09-2007 10:38 PM
Can I replace on-board USB 1.1 slots by a separate USB 2.0 -PCI card ? Peter Meister ECS 1 11-26-2006 04:08 PM
USB PCI card no go. Kouwell brand okay? It'll have a different chipset to current 4 port USB PCI ali chipset Darren Gigabyte 2 11-18-2005 02:56 AM