USB drive remains lit up

Jeff@couldbeinvalid.com

I have a new HP Pavilion with preinstalled W 7 and noticed something
weird with the light on my USB flash drive.

When connected the drive's light goes on - which is normal. But after I
click on "Safely remove media ..." and get approval to remove it, the
light stays on. This is not the case with the same flash drive on my XP
laptop.

How can I fix this?

Thanks, Jeff

Frank Slootweg

> I have a new HP Pavilion with preinstalled W 7 and noticed something
> weird with the light on my USB flash drive.
>
> When connected the drive's light goes on - which is normal. But after I
> click on "Safely remove media ..." and get approval to remove it, the
> light stays on. This is not the case with the same flash drive on my XP
> laptop.
>
> How can I fix this?

You don't have to 'fix' it, because it's normal behaviour. At least
Windows Vista has this behaviour, so I assume this is something which
Windows 7 has inherited from Windows Vista.

I don't like it and you don't have to like it either, but it *is*
normal behaviour.

[FYI, I also tested the *same* USB memory stick on both XP and Vista.]

Jeff@couldbeinvalid.com

On 1/18/2010 8:28 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed)<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a new HP Pavilion with preinstalled W 7 and noticed something
>> weird with the light on my USB flash drive.
>>
>> When connected the drive's light goes on - which is normal. But after I
>> click on "Safely remove media ..." and get approval to remove it, the
>> light stays on. This is not the case with the same flash drive on my XP
>> laptop.
>>
>> How can I fix this?

> You don't have to 'fix' it, because it's normal behaviour. At least
> Windows Vista has this behaviour, so I assume this is something which
> Windows 7 has inherited from Windows Vista.
>
> I don't like it and you don't have to like it either, but it *is*
> normal behaviour.
>
> [FYI, I also tested the *same* USB memory stick on both XP and Vista.]

Thanks. Appreciate the info.

Father Justin

> I have a new HP Pavilion with preinstalled W 7 and noticed something
> weird with the light on my USB flash drive.
>
> When connected the drive's light goes on - which is normal. But after I
> click on "Safely remove media ..." and get approval to remove it, the
> light stays on. This is not the case with the same flash drive on my XP
> laptop.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks, Jeff

I have never seen that phenomenon. Obviously I have seen the LED flash
when data is being accessed on the drive but not when its just sitting
there doing nothing.
Does that particular drive have a "power" LED in addition to a "access" LED?

--
http://www.vatican.va