USB flash drives & photo printing kiosks

ps56k

I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.

Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
with using any of my USB flash drives
with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.

It's not just my single keychain flash,
it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.

I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.

Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????

--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

Daddy

ps56k wrote:
> I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
> that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
>
> Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
> with using any of my USB flash drives
> with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
> the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
>
> It's not just my single keychain flash,
> it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
> always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
> In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
> one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
> and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
>
> I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
> come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
> and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
> It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
> some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
>
> Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????

If I owned such a kiosk I would do everything to prevent my kiosk from
being infected by someone's USB drive.

Daddy

ray

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:23:09 -0400, Daddy wrote:

> ps56k wrote:
>> I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain that I use for a
>> variety of uses... just in case type things.
>>
>> Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems with using any of my USB flash
>> drives with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
>> the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
>>
>> It's not just my single keychain flash, it's any of the different
>> brands laying around the house - always have a problem reading them in
>> the kiosk. In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
>> one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk, and is no longer even
>> recognized by our laptops.
>>
>> I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive, come home and
>> re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card and go back and use the SD
>> Card, which works just fine. It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size
>> issue, some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
>>
>> Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????
>>

> If I owned such a kiosk I would do everything to prevent my kiosk from
> being infected by someone's USB drive.

If you don't insist on MS, it's generally not much of a problem.

> Daddy

Better Info

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:23:09 -0400, Daddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ps56k wrote:
>> I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
>> that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
>>
>> Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
>> with using any of my USB flash drives
>> with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
>> the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
>>
>> It's not just my single keychain flash,
>> it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
>> always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
>> In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
>> one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
>> and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
>>
>> I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
>> come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
>> and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
>> It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
>> some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
>>
>> Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????
>>

>If I owned such a kiosk I would do everything to prevent my kiosk from
>being infected by someone's USB drive.
>
>Daddy

Which is odd, because many USB flash drives use micro-SD format chips in
them (or seem to), and SD cards seem to work according to the OP. My
keychain flash-drive just uses interchangeable Micro-SD/HC cards. The whole
thing is just the width of a USB plug/port's contacts, not even including a
USB plug's external width, and about two times as long as the
contacts'-width. Much smaller than the average key on a keychain. The only
drawback with it being so small, is that I accidentally left it in a
notebook I was repairing for a friend's friend, and had to call them when
they got home to remind them to find it and take it out to return it. They
didn't even notice it plugged in until I told them to look for it. The same
way that I didn't even notice I had left it plugged in to begin with.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Daddy wrote:
> ps56k wrote:
>> I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
>> that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
>>
>> Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
>> with using any of my USB flash drives
>> with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
>> the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
>>
>> It's not just my single keychain flash,
>> it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
>> always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
>> In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
>> one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
>> and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
>>
>> I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
>> come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
>> and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
>> It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
>> some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
>>
>> Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????

> If I owned such a kiosk I would do everything to prevent my kiosk from
> being infected by someone's USB drive.

What's to infect Daddy? A *nix system that boots from a ROM chip? (Hint: ROM
= Read Only Memory.)

Some people take paranoia to the next level....
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Dave Cohen

On 4/7/2011 1:59 PM, ps56k wrote:
> I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
> that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
>
> Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
> with using any of my USB flash drives
> with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
> the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
>
> It's not just my single keychain flash,
> it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
> always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
> In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
> one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
> and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
>
> I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
> come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
> and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
> It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
> some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
>
> Anyone else had probs with using USB drives& the kiosks ????

No.

Allen

On 4/10/2011 9:41 AM, Dave Cohen wrote:
> On 4/7/2011 1:59 PM, ps56k wrote:
>> I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
>> that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
>>
>> Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
>> with using any of my USB flash drives
>> with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
>> the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
>>
>> It's not just my single keychain flash,
>> it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
>> always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
>> In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
>> one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
>> and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
>>
>> I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
>> come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
>> and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
>> It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
>> some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
>>
>> Anyone else had probs with using USB drives& the kiosks ????
>>

> No.

I've used several different brands (sizes ranging from 256 Mb--really
really old--up to 8 Gb) in the kiosks at CostCo and Wolf Camera (part of
Ritz Camera) with no problems. The USBs have survived and as far as I
know, so have the kiosks. If there was any damage to the kiosks it
probably been brought to my attention.
Allen

mm

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:59:06 -0500, "ps56k"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
>that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
>
>Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
>with using any of my USB flash drives
>with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
>the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
>
>It's not just my single keychain flash,
>it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
>always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
>In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
>one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
>and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
>
>I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
>come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
>and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
>It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
>some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
>
>Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????

Have you talked to the people at the kiosk?

My credit/debit card wouldn't work as a credit card at one chain of
gas stations and when I asked inside, the manager said that happened
with Bank of America, and Maryland Federal Credit Union..